|The subject of this article was removed from World of Warcraft in patch 5.0.4.
- A mage can manipulate mana for defense as well as offense.
Mana Shield is a self-cast mage spell that shields the caster from all damage. It can be a mage's best friend or worst killer. When this shield up, physical and magical damage will be absorbed at the cost of 1 mana per point of damage. The shield collapses after absorbing a set amount or 1 minute passes, whichever comes first.
Tips and Tactics
After it absorbs the given damage (consuming equal that amount of mana) it will collapse, but no cooldown means you can recast immediately, or even while it's still partially up to "refresh" the absorption pool.
The talent can make the mana used up worth the trade-off. 10/20% of the damage absorbed per hit will be added to your spell power. This effect lasts for 10 seconds but, it stacks on top of prior hits while refreshing the buff timer. This can make you keep the buff for the entire duration of the fight (as long as you get hit every 10 seconds) and the longer the fight goes, the more power you gain (up to 5% of your max health). A hit large enough to remove the Mana Shield in one hit (at level 85 with 8000 spell power) will increase spell power by 789/1577 for 10 seconds.
- Patch 5.0.4 (2012-08-28): Removed. This spell is now known as .
- Patch 4.0.1 (2010-10-12): Mana drained per damage reduced from 1.5 to 1.
- Patch 3.0.2 (2008-10-14): Mana Shield now drains 1.5 mana per damage absorbed. Its spell power bonus was also increased to around 80%.
- Patch 2.4.0 (2008-03-25): This spell will now get a percentage of the Mage’s bonus to spell power as an additional effect. (Note : That's 50% of your spell damage)
- Patch 2.0.6 (2007-01-23): Magical damage absorption was added. Previously, the shield only absorbed physical damage.