Cult of personality around, and worship of, Queen Azshara
- Somehow, against all odds, Queen Azshara and her Highborne elite managed to survive the ordeal. Tortured and twisted by the powers they had released, Azshara and her followers were dragged down beneath the raging sea by the Well's implosion. Cursed - transformed - they took on new shapes and became the hateful serpentine naga. Azshara herself expanded with hate and rage, becoming a massive monstrosity, reflecting the wickedness and malice that had always hidden within her core.
- There, at the bottom of the Maelstrom, the naga built for themselves a new city, Nazjatar, from which they would rebuild their power. It would take over ten thousand years before the naga would reveal their existence to the surface world.
Nazjatar is the subaqueous capital city of the naga race, specifically those loyal to Queen Azshara, the former ruler of the Kaldorei Empire. The city was constructed following the events of The Great Sundering, when the remaining Highborne became the naga race and, under the direction of their ever-pragmatic queen, set about constructing a new capital beneath the waves of the Great Sea. Thus, Nazjatar was created. It now serves as the seat of Azshara's court and the point from which she and her followers constantly plot to one day reclaim that which they once ruled. In this city which rivals even the splendour of the previous Kaldorei capital of Zin-Azshari, Azshara rules over virtually the entire naga race and its various tribes and factions.
Nazjatar is found in a trench beneath the Eye of the Maelstrom. Nearby areas of interest include Mak'aru — capital city of the makrura lobster-men, Gishan Caverns, Pillar Deep, the Boiling Terrace, Rift, and Drowned Reaches. The size of the city is not known, but it is most likely extremely large, the naga having been given thousands of undisturbed years to develop it fully.
The architecture of Nazjatar is unknown. While many of the structures that naga can be found to inhabit are Kaldorei-styled, this is likely because they are Kaldorei ruins and Nazjatar (having being constructed by the naga from scratch) may, for several reasons, be somewhat original in its style of architecture. It is almost certainly made of stone, however, as the naga have been known to make use of stone to create other structures, such as statues.
- The name 'Nazjatar' is presumably derived from the name of the naga language, Nazja.
- As the naga empire is a successor of Azshara's and the Highborne's Kaldorei Empire, so to is Nazjatar a successor of their previous capital city, Zin-Azshari.
- Nazjatar is almost certainly the largest underwater city on Azeroth.