Newbie guide/Introductory fly-through and starting areas
Picking a Server
Intro Fly-thru and Starting Areas
After you choose the starting details of your character, you will be given what looks like a cinematic based on your race with a voice-over giving some background history of the race. This is actually a real-time fly-thru in the game and you will see actual players moving around if you look carefully, and you may get a glimpse of some combat. The fly-thru usually starts at a capital city and flies through parts of the country-side to your starting area.
Each of the thirteen races has its own unique starting area:
- Orc: Valley of Trials, Durotar, Kalimdor. This area is dry and rocky, mostly consisting of reddish desert.
- Tauren: Camp Narache, Mulgore, Kalimdor. Mulgore is lush and green, with large lakes, grassy plains, and mountain valleys.
- Troll: Echo Isles, off the coast of Durotar, Kalimdor. A chain of tropical islands recently reclaimed by your people.
- Undead (Forsaken): Deathknell, Tirisfal Glades, Eastern Kingdoms. Tirisfal Glades is a dark forest over-run with the mindless undead of the Scourge.
- Blood Elf: Sunstrider Isle, Eversong Woods, Eastern Kingdoms. Rebuilt city. The Fly-thru actually begins in the Ghostlands, showing the straight path of destruction left behind by the Scourge after their attack on the Elven city.
- Goblin: Bilgewater Port, Isle of Kezan, in the middle of the South Seas. A large industrial and mining complex which finds itself in danger when the Cataclysm struck.
- Pandaren: The Wandering Isle. The Isle is a massive island on the back of a giant turtle that wanders the oceans, inhabited by curious pandaren.
- Dwarf: Coldridge Valley, Dun Morogh, Eastern Kingdoms. A snowy area with mountain paths and frozen lakes.
- Gnome: Gnomeregan, Dun Morogh, Eastern Kingdoms. A high-tech city of engineering marvels, rendered uninhabitable by a trogg invasion and the radioactive gas which was released to fight them.
- Human: Northshire Valley, Elwynn Forest, Eastern Kingdoms. A low, forested region with various human settlements in it.
- Night Elf: Shadowglen, Teldrassil, Kalimdor. A huge, ethereal, twilight forest that perches entirely on top of a colossal World Tree to the northwest of Kalimdor.
- Draenei: Ammen Vale, Azuremyst Isle, near Kalimdor. Misty forest area around the crash site of the Exodar.
- Worgen: Gilneas City, Gilneas, Eastern Kingdoms. Capital of a great human kingdom that shut its gates to the outside world years ago.
Some of these starting zones are "instanced", meaning that for story reasons you'll be presented with a unique personal view of the area, and temporarily separated from other players. The Worgen, Goblin and Pandaren starting zones are only available to players of the appropriate race, and only at early levels, until story progression renders those areas unreachable.