|Title||The Black Ox,
the Western Celestial
|Location||Niuzao Temple, Townlong Steppes|
- "Fear seeks to diminish you.
- Instead, let it reveal you."
Niuzao the Black Ox is one of the four creatures known as the August Celestials who watch over Pandaria. Niuzao watches over the Townlong Steppes and Dread Wastes and is sometimes referred to as the Western Celestial. He is the spirit of fortitude. He has been referred to as the strength of the west and protector of the weak.
The Mogu Empire
During 's conquest of Pandaria, he and the mogu overpowered the four August Celestials. During this time, Niuzao showed fear when he was surrounded by an army of lifelike clay mogu that he had mistaken to be real. The mogu conquered the black ox that day.
The Burdens of Shaohao
As attempted to cross the Serpent's Spine, he was overcome by fear, afraid of the nearby Mantid. Niuzao spoke to him from across the steppes, telling him that if he was afraid, he should just follow his own feet and they would lead him to where he needed to go. This was exactly the advice the emperor needed, as the 's infamous ability was to make someone afraid to act even though it was certain they would succeed. Emperor Shaohao eventually found his courage when his friend the Monkey King was in danger, breaking away from the fear that would have prevented him from acting.
Mists of Pandaria
This section concerns content exclusive to Mists of Pandaria.
Niuzao and other three Celestials opened the gate to the Vale of Eternal Blossoms.
At the conclusion of Shado-pan rep quests, Niuzao is attacked by the Shan'ze clan of Mogu led by during . The Mogu attackers are defeated by the Shado-pan forces led by and Niuzao is freed.
As part of Wrathion's legendary journey, he and an adventurer visited the mighty Black Ox in order to get his blessing.
The trial of Niuzao is a test of bravery and fortitude. When Emperor Shaohao was overcome with fear, the Black Ox counseled him to face his fears directly. After a protracted battle with the Sha of Fear, the Emperor emerged victorious. To pass the trial of the Ox, warriors must be resolute in the face of overwhelming danger.
Siege of Orgrimmar
During the quest , the celestials alongside the ghost of Shaohao, and Adventurer gathered around to begin to heal the Vale. As he stands before the tree he knew in the end that the hero that caused the havoc on Pandaria, and did set it right to be proved worthy.
- <Niuzao nods approvingly at you.>
Niuzao and other Celestials chose to hold a trial involving the members of the Alliance and Horde rather than sentence among themselves. During the trial, Niuzao took the form of a strong, muscular tauren male as a show of respect to the gathered races.
|Location||Level range||Health range|
- Main article: Quest:The Might of Three#Notes
- Main article: Quest:Surprise Attack!#Notes
- Main article: Quest:Celestial Blessings#Notes
- Main article: Quest:A Witness to History#Notes
- Main article: Niuzao (tactics)#Quotes
- Main article: Time-Lost Shrine
- Niuzao (牛皂, Niú zào) is Chinese for, roughly, "black ox".
- In the original four symbols of Chinese mythology which the August Celestials are based on, there is a Black Tortoise rather than a black ox. The tortoise is also in the North while the white tiger is in the West.
- Niuzao is voiced by Jamieson Price.
- Like the Dragon Aspects, the August Celestials have the ability to take on mortal forms. During the trial of , Niuzao took on the form of a glowing tauren.
- Patch 5.0.4 (2012-08-28): Added.