The Northlands is a name used to refer to different lands in the continent of Lordaeron.
The first use of the term was during the Second War, refer to much, if not all of the continent of Lordaeron, including the areas around Tyr's Hand, Tyr's Bay, Darrowmere, Caer Darrow, Stromgarde, Lordaeron, and Alterac.
The term was later used to refer to only the northern-most lands of the kingdom of Lordaeron itself, where cities such as Stratholme, Andorhal, Hearthglen and Tyr's Hand are located. The archmage owned several warehouses in the region, where he conducted crude necromantic experiments. His experiments ultimately a failure, the Kirin Tor confiscated his property, deeming his efforts nefarious. This area was the first region of Lordaeron afflicted with the Plague of Undeath, and later became known as the Plaguelands.
The human land of Stormwind, on the continent of Azeroth, and sometimes the Arathi Highlands are refered to as the Southlands in comparison. The domain of the Dark Iron clan has also been called the Southlands in relation to the rest of Khaz Modan.
- ^ Infered from The Warning, where a diplomat mentions the area as affected by the Plague of Undeath.
- ^ Road to Damnation, pg. 1.
- ^ World of Warcraft Town Hall, the pre-release website. Blizzard Entertainment. 
- ^ The Warcraft Encyclopedia - The Troll Wars: the Defense of Quel'Thalas
- ^ The Warcraft Encyclopedia - War of the Three Hammers