Path of the Titans (feature)
|The subject of this article or section did not make it out of the beta stages of World of Warcraft or its expansions.
- For the subzone bisecting Dragonblight, see Path of the Titans. For the garrison mission, see Path of the Titans (mission).
Prior to its cancellation, Path of the Titans was a system of character progression which was planned to be introduced in Cataclysm that players would have been able to take once they have reached level 85. The feature was announced to be cancelled at the Cataclysm press event on the 8th of June 2010.
The system would have been tightly related to the profession of archaeology and was integrated with the glyph interface. Players would have been able to join cults dedicated to various Titans and, by following in the path of a titan, would be able to unlock a new type of glyph known as an ancient glyph, which would have been completely unrelated to the inscription profession.
Players could earn progress down any of these paths by doing things such as questing, raiding, PvP, trade skills, etc., with a possible weekly cap for maximum progress. Over time, characters would be able to unlock new ancient glyphs that will greatly benefit them. Each path consisted of 10 ranks, with ten slots numbered from I to X; at each rank players would be presented with a selection of two to three different ancient glyphs from which to fill the slot. This system was designed to provide a 20% character-power increase over the course of the expansion and would be compatible with dual specialization.
Players earned these ancient glyphs by using the archaeology profession to recover and trade in titan artifacts. Respeccing would be possible should players decide to go down another path. Some possible paths were:
- Path of Aggramar, the Avenger
- Path of Aman'Thul, the High Father
- Path of Eonar, the Lifebinder
- Path of Khaz'Goroth, the Shaper
- Path of Golganneth, the Thunderer
- Path of Norgannon, the Dreamweaver
Some examples for ancient glyphs available through the Path of Golganneth include:
- Rank I
- Earth's Embrace - Physical damage taken reduced by 4%.
- Battle Hardened - Reduces the duration of Bleed and Stun effects by 20%.
- Rank II
- Medic - Bandages heal targets by an additional 30%.
- Fortification - instant - 5 min cooldown - Nearby allies take 10% less damage for 6 sec.
- Rank III
- Breakthrough - instant - 5 min cooldown - Increases damage dealt by 10% for 10 sec. Only usable after you deal a critical strike.
With Deathwing's return triggering the Cataclysm and wracking the land with disaster, the denizens of Azeroth found themselves in a time of great upheaval. That, coupled with recent discoveries unearthed in Ulduar regarding the Titans, has caused a number of cults to spring up, following in the paths of the Titans in order to obtain new powers.
- The Path of the Titans system was cancelled because it didn't feel different enough from Glyphs. Prime Glyphs, which were intended to fill a similar role, were removed in Mists of Pandaria.
- Warlords of Draenor features a garrison mission referencing the cancelled feature.