- For the Warcraft III unit, see Phoenix (Warcraft III).
Somewhere within the Elemental Plane
Phoenixes are powerful creatures of fire created by mages. The phoenix is the most powerful spell a potent blood mage could cast. The idea of a creature rising from its own ashes also symbolizes the blood elves who rose from the ashes of the slaughtered high elves. Thus, the phoenix serves as an essential symbol of the blood elf race, found on their flags, banners, tabards, and racial crest.
- (part of the Kael'thas boss encounter in The Eye of Tempest Keep.)
- (part of the Kael'thas boss encounter in Magisters' Terrace.)
As a mount
- Main article: Phoenix mounts
- has a chance to drop from in the Eye.
- , a dark phoenix mount, can be purchased from guild vendors at a cots of 3000 after reaching exalted with the guild and achieving .
- A is dropped by Rukhmar, the world boss of Spires of Arak.
As a companion pet
- has a chance to drop from Kael'thas Sunstrider in the Magisters' Terrace.
- can be purchased from guild vendors after completing .
- has a chance to drop from .
- Alodi, the first Guardian of Tirisfal, rode a phoenix to confront Kathra'Natir.
- Kael'thas Sunstrider is the most notable blood mage capable of summoning phoenixes.
- Jeron Emberfall has also demonstrated the ability to summon them.
- It is customary for new recruits of the Twilight's Hammer to be sent on a difficult or sometimes impossible task. One year the instructors demanded a feather from a phoenix.
- The rogue's Tier 12 Vestments of the Dark Phoenix was named and modeled after the dark phoenix.
- , Kael'thas Sunstrider's beloved pet, was called "the Phoenix God".
- The hatchlings of Al'ar take flight immediately after birth.
- The pandaren phoenixes strongly resemble the fire phoenixes.
- Sol-Shaper Krivin can transform into a phoenix with the powers of the Aspect of Rukhmar.
In the RPG
The phoenix is a natural predator of the Elemental Plane. The wondrous bird is about 18 feet long with a sleek, feathered body that dances with bright flames. Its colorful feathers range from yellow to orange to red. A crest of spiky feathers runs down the center of its back, and its wingspan stretches out 30 feet. From birth to death, it spends its life hunting through the air - in fact, it lacks any legs that might enable it to land. Even after death it often rises again from its own ashes to continue the hunt.
The phoenix is a fearless, aggressive predator of aerial prey. Its only direct form is a vicious bite, but the secondary damage from its flaming aura and ability to burn help to bring down its prey quickly. A phoenix prefers to attack from above and behind with surprise, but follows up its initial attack by remaining close to burn its victims while continuing to strike with its beak.
Summon phoenix is a unique spell that Kael developed to summon fire elementals. It is similar to other summon monster spells, except it can only summon fire elementals. Kael invariably uses it to summon phoenixes, hence its name.