|This article or section contains information that is out-of-date.
- "The shortest distance between two points is one incantation."
- —Blaize Brightspark
Apparently, elven mages typically like to put a little flair, a signature, in their portal magic.
|Shrine of Seven Stars||90||42 30|
|Thunder Bluff||42||1 65|
|Shrine of Two Moons||90||42 30|
|Dalaran - Northrend||74||16 80|
|Tol Barad||85||28 20|
|Dalaran - Broken Isles||110||50|
- ^ Barnaby Fletcher#Quotes
- ^ a b Vale of Eternal Blossoms is only available to players with the Mists of Pandaria expansion installed.
- ^ a b Draenor is only available to players with the Warlords of Draenor expansion installed.
- ^ can be purchased from only after learning .
Non-mage portal spell
There are several portal spells not exclusive to mages.
|Grim Guzzler||None||55||Requires ; 1 hour cooldown|
|Karazhan||None||60||Requires; 1 minute cooldown|
|Dalaran||None||80||Requires ; 1 hour cooldown|
|Major faction city||3||90||Random consumable Portal Shard from "planting" at Sunsong Ranch. Can only be used from Sunsong Ranch.|
There was also an item that opened a portal to the heart of Maraudon - , but it could only be used on an altar just before entering the instance. The portal ability was phased out in Patch 3.0.8, and replaced with weapon stats.
- Each Portal spell is trained at a portal trainer, which is usually located near the mage trainers in a major city. In Shattrath, the portal trainer is located in the center of the city, near the Silvermoon and Exodar city portals. There is also a trainer in Scryers Tier, although the portal location remains the same no matter where it is learned. In Theramore, the portal trainer is located in the tower where Jaina resides.
- After casting, a portal will appear roughly 5 yards in front of the mage. The shimmering portal looks different for each capital city, giving a glimpse of the city in the center of the portal. The portal lasts for 1 minute.
- To use the portal, the mage and his group members must right click the portal. Group members are not required to enter the portal. Any player, including the mage, may elect to stay behind by not clicking on the portal.
- You will appear in the capital city near the portal trainer of that city. In Stormwind, for example, you appear inside the mage tower at the center of the Mage Quarter.
- You cannot learn the portal spells of the opposing faction.
- Portal cannot be cast in combat. In addition, portals cannot be cast inside PvP battlegrounds.
Tips and tactics
- It is not possible to create a portal in combat, but it is possible to enter one at any time.
- If creating a portal in hostile territory, the mage should wait until all members of the party have used the portal. If the mage clicks too soon, they run the risk of leaving someone behind.
- Prior to Patch 6.0.2, it was possible for a mage to stack his portals, such that it was very difficult for the players taking the portals to know where they would end up. This was commonly known as "portal roulette". Portal function has been changed so that summoning portals on top of each other prioritizes the first one cast.
While most mages will offer portals for partymates at the end of quest, runs, etc., to ask for one outside of this should be approached tactfully.
Here are a few guidelines to keep in mind.
- When asking (especially on Trade) make sure you say where you are currently (or where you will be).
- If a mage is coming from a different city, it's much easier if they can meet you at the teleport points (that's where they will arrive). Learn where they are and be standing there when you ask.
- You will only be able to use the portal if you're in the same party as the mage. If you're in one, have the leader send the invite, or drop party to get portaled.
- Mages are dropping what they are doing to help you. The minimum you should offer is 1g, 2-3g if they have to travel to you. You'll spend a good percent of that amount just to take taxis if you were getting there on your own anyway. Announce the amount you're offering when you ask for the teleport.
- Make sure you know the level required to create the portal where you need to go before you ask directly. Faction capitals and Theramore are available at 42, Stonard at 52, Shattrath at 66, Dalaran at 74, Tol Barad at 85, Pandaria at 90, and Draenor at 92.
Following these fairly simple guidelines will help you get along with your fellow players, and it makes people remember you.
Ley lines are harnessed to make portals possible, but traffic from across the planet will break down the infrastructure and it must be periodically replaced.
The Kirin Tor creates and enforces the rules of portal usage for all legitimate mages on Azeroth. As sometimes demonstrated by archmages such as and , portals can actually be created to go anywhere, and the spell's vast potential is what makes it so dangerous (for example, the official but outdated drop off zone for Dalaran and the consequences for ). There are hundreds of rules that the Kirin Tor has already created for safe and proper portal usage and mages are required to abide by every single one of them, including special licensing to make sure certain actions are only carried out by responsible individuals.
Nevertheless, in practice portals have a history of being a burden on any society in which it is offered to the general public, and of all the major spells developed and maintained by the Kirin Tor, portal technology is the closest to becoming banished from anything but emergency usage.
- Patch 7.0.3 (2016-07-19): The WotLK-era : Dalaran and Portal: Dalaran spells had a suffix added to distinguish them from their Legion counterparts.
- Patch 5.3.0 (2013-05-21): : Vale of Eternal Blossoms and Portal: Vale of Eternal Blossoms now have new icons.
- Patch 5.0.4 (2012-08-28): Reagent requirement removed.
- Patch 4.0.3a (2010-11-23): Tol Barad portal added.
- Patch 2.4.2 (2008-05-13): Stonard and Theramore portals added.
- Patch 1.1.0 (2004-11-07): Now requires a reagent.
- Patch 0.11 (2004-09-29): You must now right-click on portals to use them.
- Patch 0.9 (2004-08-17): Mana costs increased.
- Patch 0.8 (2004-07-07): Added.
- Portal TCG card
- Thinking with Portals - A Memorandum on Proper Portal Usage
- Portals are NOT Garbage Bins!