Puzzle Box of Yogg-Saron
- Puzzle Box of Yogg-Saron
- Binds when picked up
- Use: Make a vain attempt to open the puzzle box. (1 Min Cooldown)
- "Extremely difficult to open."
The box cannot be opened, but someone is aware of your efforts...
Each of the fragments of this artifact emits a nonsense whisper that blends into a maddening susurrus as you accumulate more objects. You hope you know what you're doing.
This small box has many shifting panels, moving hinges and hidden clasps. Yet no matter how you manipulate them, it seems impossible to actually open the box to reveal the contents within. It is also difficult to even try because the dark artifact constantly whispers to you, 'It WAS your fault. It WAS your fault. It WAS your fault. It WAS your fault.'
Upon use, the following quotes may appear:
- At the bottom of the ocean even light must die.
- The silent, sleeping, staring houses in the backwoods always dream. It would be merciful to tear them down.
- There is no sharp distinction between the real and the unreal.
- Even death may die.
- There is a little lamb lost in dark woods.
- All places, all things have souls. All souls can be devoured.
- What can change the nature of a man?
- The stars sweep chill currents that make men shiver in the dark.
- Do you dream while you sleep or is it an escape from the horrors of reality?
- Look around. They will all betray you. Flee screaming into the black forest.
- In the land of Ny'alotha there is only sleep.
- In the sleeping city of Ny'alotha walk only mad things.
- Ny'alotha is a city of old, terrible, unnumbered crimes.
- Y'knath k'th'rygg k'yi mrr'ungha gr'mula.
- The void sucks at your soul. It is content to feast slowly.
- The drowned god's heart is black ice.
- It is standing right behind you. Do not move. Do not breathe.
- Have you had the dream again? A black goat with seven eyes that watches from the outside.
- In the sunken city, he lays dreaming.
- Open me! Open me! Open me! Then only will you know peace.
- You resist. You cling to your life as if it actually matters. You will learn.
- The tortured spirits of your ancestors cling to you, screaming in silence. Apparently they are quite numerous.
- The fish know all the secrets. They know the cold. They know the dark.
- The giant rook watches from the dead trees. Nothing breathes beneath his shadow.
- Beneath the shadow of the darkened spire, there is no light, no mercy, only void, and the chaos within.
- You will all be alone in the end.
There are more quotes not listed here known to show up.
- While several quotes are references to the works of H.P. Lovecraft, certain quotes originate from other games, including Planescape: Torment and the Baldur's Gate series.
- Several of the quotes seem to refer to the Old God N'Zoth. Others could have been foreshadowing for Y'Shaarj.
- The item as a whole is probably inspired by the Lament Configuration from the Hellraiser movies.
- Patch 6.0.2 (2014-10-14): Added to the Toy Box.
- Patch 5.0.5a (2012-09-13): Sell price removed.
- Patch 4.0.3a (2010-11-23): Added.