Fallen Keeper of Storms,
Titanic watcher (Giant)
Defeatable (WoW), Alive (Lore)
Highkeeper Ra, known as Ra-den or Ra-Den to the mogu, is the thirteenth, heroic-only boss encounter in the Throne of Thunder. Ra is a titanic watcher charged with watching over Pandaria and wields power over lightning, similar to Thorim in Northrend.
Ra-den's story is told through the lore objects of and , and when turning in Titan Runestones for .
Ra was created by the Titans and was charged with overseeing the then-stone mogu as they shaped the land later known as Pandaria. Ra was entrusted with the Fist of Ra-den, an artifact which could channel the fury of storms, by Aman'Thul the Highfather, leader of the Titan Pantheon. Ra used it to bestow life on the titan-forged mogu race, and he wielded it in battle against the Black Empire for years beyond counting. Ra also recieved the Highkeeper's Shield, which he used to seal off the gates of the Elemental Plane after creating it. However, after his servants were afflicted by the Curse of Flesh, one among them, Lei Shen, defeated Ra in combat. Wishing to take the future of Pandaria into his own hands, Lei Shen brutally ripped the heart from his master's chest and with it gained Ra's power over wind and storm. Lei Shen also gained the knowledge of Anima and Flesh-shaping from when the Titans initially shaped life on Azeroth, twisting it to his own purposes when he created the Anima Golems and Saurok. The newly crowned Thunder King imprisoned Ra beneath the Throne of Thunder and led the Mogu to the creation of a new Mogu Empire.
When found by adventurers, Ra-den is utterly without hope, his defeat, imprisonment, and possible torture making him forget the mission given to him by the Titans. In this brutalized condition he stated a wish to destroy all life on Azeroth, convinced that the world was beyond saving. After his defeat he seemingly regains his lucidity, astounded by the strength of the adventurers who managed to defeat both him and Lei Shen. He does not believe that the mortals of Azeroth can stop the all-consuming darkness approaching, but admits that they have earned the right to try. Ra-den's current location and goals are unknown.
Lei Shen's life changed forever when he stumbled into a dark chamber below what are now the Mogu'shan Vaults. Legend has it he found an ancient titan keeper guarding a miraculous device known as the Engine of Nalak'sha. No one knows what transpired between the two beings, but Lei Shen later emerged from the site bristling with the power to forge an empire. The keeper's fate -- and his current whereabouts -- remain a mystery.
This is the "Algalon" of the zone; a bonus boss for the high-end raiders who have finished the main zone progression. Lei Shen is the true final boss of the zone, and we wanted to make sure that he still feels that way—unlike Sinestra in Bastion of Twilight, there's some backtracking involved to reach Ra-den after he's unlocked. The mechanics of the fight are deliberately obscured in the Dungeon Journal for now, so I won't say much more. The primary purpose of the Dungeon Journal is to provide an in-game resource to players who are trying to learn an encounter, instead of making them feel like they have to Alt-Tab out to read an online guide. In Ra-den's case, we know that those of you who face him at first are also the same people who often write those online guides, so hopefully you’ll enjoy a sense of discovery when you first reach him.
Spells and abilities
Shrouded in Mystery
There are no scholars with any recollection or record regarding the details of Ra-den's powers. Perhaps these memories have been obscured by the passage of time, or perhaps none who saw the Keeper of Storms in battle ever lived to speak of what they witnessed...
- Fatal Strike Melee range — An unerringly accurate strike that disrupts an enemy target's very being. Undefended, this attack is fatal, though active defensive abilities (Shield Block, Shield of the Righteous, Shuffle, Blood Shield, or Savage Defense) will offer some measure of protection. Next melee. Cast every 10 seconds.
- Murderous Strike — An unerringly accurate strike that turns the life force of the target against them, inflicting Shadow damage every 2 sec for 10 sec. The damage dealt is equal to the health of the target at the time of the attack. This damage ignores most damage-reducing effects. Instant. Cast in 25-player Heroic mode only
- Materials of Creation — Conjures the forces of creation to empower the caster.
- Imbued with Anima — Empowered with Anima.
- Unleashed Anima — An eruption of pure Anima energy engulfs all nearby enemies, increasing their maximum health by 100%, but also causing them to suffer 70000 Shadow damage every 1 sec. This effect lasts until negated. Instant.
- Unstable Anima — Corrupts the life essence within the target, causing it to lash out at the victim's nearby allies in a violent explosion every 15 sec, dealing 2500000 Shadow damage, divided evenly among all allies within 8 yards. If no allies are nearby to absorb this energy, a catastrophic explosion will occur. Instant.
- Summon Sanguine Horror — Summons a construct of Anima. 1 sec cast
- Imbued with Vita — Empowered with Vita.
- Unleashed Vita — Deals 600000 Nature damage to all enemies. Instant.
- Unstable Vita — Charges the target with storm energy, causing a surge of lightning every 5 sec, which transfers Unstable Vita to the farthest available target. The streaking lightning deals 400000 Nature damage to all players in its path, and afflicts those it touches with Vita Sensitivity. Instant.
- Summon Crackling Stalker — Summons a construct of Vita. 1 sec cast. Summons a Crackling Stalker with 7M health in 10-player, 21M health in 25-player
- Cauterizing Flare — Deals 237500 to 262500 Nature damage to all enemies within 8 yards, and may neutralize some forms of nearby Anima. Instant.
- Crackle 30 yd range — Deals 150000 Nature damage to a nearby target, which can then chain to additional nearby targets, dealing increasing damage with each hop. Instant.
- Lingering Energies — Each time Unleashed Anima or Unleashed Vita is triggered, the caster gains 10% increased damage. This effect applies to any minions created by the caster, and lasts indefinitely. Stacks.
- Ruin — Deals 95000 to 105000 Plague damage to all nearby enemies every 2 sec. Instant.
- For millennia I have waited in darkness, in silence pierced only by the shrieks of the tormented, my dreams a waking nightmare.
- I see the naive hope in your eyes. You... think you are my saviors? Wring that mocking pity from your hearts and focus it inwards, for you shall soon know my agony.
- This twisted world is beyond redemption, beyond the reach of deluded heroes. The only answer to corruption is destruction. And that begins... now.
- When I am finished with you, I shall not rest until this world is cleansed. Now, perish!
- Murderous Strike
- Feel your own life essence betray you!
- Materials of Creation
- The touch of creation... and destruction.
- Unstable Vita
- Ah, the familiar embrace of the storms...
- Unstable Anima
- This is but a taste of my power.
- Phase 2
- You still think victory possible? Fools!
- Killing a player
- Accept the inevitable.
- Amusing. You really thought you could win.
- You are the best this world has to offer? No wonder it has fallen to ruin.
- Wait! I am... I am not your enemy. You are powerful, more powerful than he was, even... perhaps you are right. Perhaps there is still hope.
- But there is a yawning chasm of darkness beneath you mortals, vast, endless, and all consuming. I do not believe that you can correct this doomed course.
- But... you have earned the right to try. Farewell.
Patches and hotfixes
- Hotfix (2013-07-03): "Fixed an issue where Protection Warriors are unable to receive bonus loot upon defeating Ra-den."
- Hotfix (2013-04-18): "Fixed an issue where it was possible to have 2 instances of Unstable Vita active during the Ra-den encounter."
- Hotfix (2013-04-08): "
- Fixed an issue that could prevent Ra-den from absorbing Essences of Anima/Vita as intended.
- Engaging Ra-den now resets the cooldown on Reincarnation for Shamans."
- Patch 5.2.0 (2013-03-05): Added.
- Ra-Den didn't work out completely as envisioned. The sense of mystery associated with a boss that no one knows anything about is nice, making the content a bonus prize for defeating Lei Shen. It was hard to balance and test without the regular player testing, which resulted in clever use of game mechanics to defeat Ra-Den. Normally hotfixes would have been used to solve the problem, but limited attempts made it a more complicated situation.
- Ra-den's name is likely derived from Raijin, also known as Raiden. Raijin is the god of lightning, thunder, and storms in the Shinto religion.
- In the mogu tongue, "Ra-den" means "Master Ra."
- Ra-den is voiced by Brian T. Delaney.