Ranger-General of Silvermoon
|It has been suggested that this article or section be moved to Ranger-General.
The unique title of Ranger-General of Silvermoon (also known as the ranger-general of Silvermoon, Ranger General of Quel'Thalas, ranger-general of Quel'Thalas and Ranger-General of the Farstriders) is given to the commander of the Farstriders — an elite group of blood elf rangers from Quel'Thalas. The ranger-general is also the commander of all of Quel'Thalas' military forces, and is in charge of Silvermoon's defenses.
The Farstriders is a small but highly skilled group of rangers. The organization can trace its roots back to the Troll Wars, when a loosely affiliated band of high elf warriors occasionally worked together to defend Quel'Thalas. Roughly five hundred years ago, a group of similarly dedicated fighters formed and officially took on the name "Farstriders". Their mandate was to protect Quel'Thalas far beyond its actual borders and look after high elf interests all over Azeroth. The commander of the Farstriders was given a unique title: ranger-general of Silvermoon. The title itself predates the formal establishment of the Farstriders, and was first given to a legendary ranger named Talanas Windrunner. The title was eventually passed to Lireesa Windrunner, whose eldest daughter Alleria Windrunner was expected to inherit the position. Yet Alleria, who had always found little use for her people's traditions and expectations, chose to focus on more practical matters. Her sister Sylvanas Windrunner rose to become ranger-general in her stead.
- Talanas Windrunner, first ranger-general and the wielder of Thas'dorah.
- Lireesa Windrunner, mother of the Windrunner siblings, Sylvanas' predecessor as ranger-general
- Sylvanas Windrunner, Queen of the Forsaken - Served as ranger-general of Silvermoon during the Second and Third Wars.
- Halduron Brightwing - Current ranger-general of Silvermoon.
- Vereesa Windrunner - Though not part of the Farstriders or Quel'Thalas' military, she independently adopted the title "Ranger-General of the Silver Covenant".
Several items reference the title:
- Although Halduron was elected as Silvermoon's ranger-general after Sylvanas' death, the position may have originally been hereditary, passed down through the Windrunner family. With Sylvanas' death, Alleria's disappearance, and Vereesa's estrangement from Quel'Thalas, the Farstriders may have had to look outside the Windrunner family for their new commander.
- Lor'themar Theron was second-in-command to Sylvanas Windrunner during the Third War and some have speculated that he became the new ranger-general after her death. However, there isn't any source that specifically states this. In one of his humorous click-sayings in Heroes of the Storm, Kael'thas says that "They made Lor'themar ranger-general? Really? What next, are the blood elves becoming part of the Horde?" implying that before the blood elves joined the Horde, Lor'themar Theron was ranger-general. However, this contradicts the Warcraft Encyclopedia, Kael made Lor'themar his regent shortly before leaving for Lordaeron, and Halduron was elected ranger-general around the same time.
- ^ Ultimate Visual Guide
- ^ War Crimes
- ^ Warcraft III: Reign of Chaos
- ^ Blood of the Highborne
- ^ a b The Warcraft Encyclopedia/Farstriders#History and Organization
- ^ Valley of Heroes#Statues
- ^ Races of World of Warcraft - Forsaken
- ^ Halduron Brightwing uses this variation of the title in World of Warcraft: Legion
- ^ The Warcraft Encyclopedia/Farstriders
- ^ artifact research
- ^ artifact research
- ^ The Warcraft Encyclopedia/Blood Elves