Reins of the Traveler's Tundra Mammoth
Reins of the Traveler's Tundra Mammoth is a three-person mount that comes with two vendors: <Traveling Trader> and <Adventurous Tinker> (Alliance) or <The Fixer> and <Traveling Trader> (Horde). You can dismiss one or both of them to free up a spot for a friend or two in your party or raid. The buttons used to dismiss the vendors can also be used to force player passengers off the mount. When the vendors are dismissed, they will not return until the mount is dismissed and resummoned again.
This item can be purchased for 20,000 from the exotic mount vendor Mei Francis in Dalaran. As Mei Francis is a member of the Kirin Tor, this mount is subject to faction discount, making it cost 16,000 at Exalted.
For a level 90+ character, a can be bought from Archmage Alvareaux in Dalaran and they should be able to easily run through several Heroic Wrath-Level instances to get to Exalted.
Because mounts are account bound you could conceivably skip getting to Exalted with the Kirin Tor but still only spend 16,000 by buying this mount with a (Horde-side) goblin, using the racial , however the goblin would have to be leveled up to 40 to purchase the mount with the gold, so it's only cost and time effective in certain cases.
- This mount is like dropping a repair bot if the dungeon is outdoors or otherwise allows mounts to be summoned. Even for instances that do not allow mounting, repairing is often needed after repeated corpse runs, where players may be near an entrance anyways, and could simply gather around the mammoth just outside the instance portal before returning inside.
- Even if you prefer to use a smaller mount, it's handy to keep the icon for this available for selling things in a pinch when your bags are full.
- Because mounts can now be used by any character on an account, this has become a very helpful leveling mount and can be used after getting riding skill at level 20. After that you can stop and empty your bags and repair any time you would like while out in the wilderness.
- The vendors that come with the mount are not associated with any reputation faction. Thus, they charge full price for purchased items or repairs, and do not offer reputation-based discounts.
- Goblin players have a racial however with this mount the exalted-level discount only applies to buying the mount in the first place and buying from the vendors, not repairs from the mount.
- Does not work well with , which makes your mount look like a reindeer. When the buff kicks in after mounting, you are dismounted off of your mammoth.
- Patch 5.1.0 (2012-11-27): Reins of the Traveler's Tundra Mammoth is now fully account bound and will be shared across both factions.
- Patch 5.0.5b (2012-10-11): Faction changing a character with a Reins of the Traveler's Tundra Mammoth will make it available to all characters of the new faction, via GM ticket.
- Patch 5.0.4 (2012-08-28): Reins of the Traveler's Tundra Mammoth is account-bound, but only for the original faction it was bought for (Alliance with Alliance-side characters, Horde with Horde-side characters).
- Patch 3.1.0 (2009-04-14): The mount no longer uses vehicle mechanics (see 3.0.8 change below); it uses mount mechanics (again?). Passengers take damage as on other mounts.
- Patch 3.0.8 (2009-01-20): The mount no longer takes damage and can no longer die when falling a great distance. Instead, it resists all damage, and prevents passengers from taking damage as well.
- Patch 3.0.3 (2008-11-04): Added.