- For the pre-Mists of Pandaria instances, see Scarlet Monastery Graveyard, Scarlet Monastery Library, Scarlet Monastery Armory, and Scarlet Monastery Cathedral.
The Scarlet Monastery is one of the last strongholds in the world belonging to the fanatical Scarlet Crusade. The Scarlet Bastion within the ruins of Stratholme, the town of Hearthglen, the town of Tyr's Hand and the Scarlet Enclave all fell during the last years. Located in the northeast corner of the blighted Tirisfal Glades, the Scarlet Monastery was once a cathedral to the Light, taken over by zealots.
The Scarlet Monastery is a complex of two instanced dungeons, Scarlet Halls and Scarlet Monastery. Heroic mode is available for both wings at level 90.
From Blizzard's Official World Dungeons site:
- The Monastery was once a proud bastion of Lordaeron's priesthood - a center for learning and enlightenment. With the rise of the undead Scourge during the Third War, the peaceful Monastery was converted into a stronghold of the fanatical Scarlet Crusade. The Crusaders are intolerant of all non-human races, regardless of alliance or affiliation. They believe that any and all outsiders are potential carriers of the undead plague - and must be destroyed. Reports indicate that adventurers who enter the monastery are forced to contend with Scarlet Commander Mograine - who commands a large garrison of fanatically devoted warriors. However, the monastery's true master is High Inquisitor Whitemane - a fearsome priestess who possesses the ability to resurrect fallen warriors to do battle in her name.
Before the Third War, the Monastery served as a seminary for paladins-in-training.
This section concerns content exclusive to the World of Warcraft comics.
||This section is a lore stub.
Compendium of Fallen Heroes
At some point after the formation of the Scarlet Crusade, the Monastery was attacked by the Scourge three times in the Summertide Assaults.
This section concerns content exclusive to the World of Warcraft manga.
During the Hallow's End in Year 24, the Headless Horseman was created in the Monastery by Balnazzar using fel energies over the dead body of Thomas Thomson.
This section concerns content exclusive to Cataclysm.
The Alliance helped the Scarlet Renegades, a small faction of rebel Crusaders who aimed to take over the monastery. They were led by their increasingly unhinged champion, Joseph the Insane. The Horde assisted a contingent of Forsaken troops and abominations, led by Dark Ranger Velonara in annexing the Monastery for good. Neither side was ultimately successful, and the Monastery remained firmly under the control of the Scarlet Crusade.
Mists of Pandaria
This section concerns content exclusive to Mists of Pandaria.
Despite heavy losses across all fronts, the Scarlet Crusade has survived within the Scarlet Monastery. Here, the remaining crusaders prepare to continue their battle against the undead and those they judge guilty of carrying the taint of undeath. However, a mysterious Hooded Crusader seems intent on taking them down from the inside.
This section concerns content exclusive to Legion.
During the Burning Legion's third invasion, the death knights of the Ebon Blade assaulted the Monastery and fought the remains of the fanatical organization led by High Commander Goodchilde to raise Sally Whitemane as one of their own.
Later on, the champions of the Ebon Blade entered the Monastery in order to retrieve the saddle of Thomas Thomson's steed, killing Faralis the Fanatic in the process.
Scarlet Monastery location on the map of Tirisfal Glades.
- Main article: Scarlet Monastery loot
- Main article: Scarlet Halls loot
With the rise of the Scourge during the Third War, this peaceful monastery was converted into a stronghold of the fanatical Scarlet Crusade.
- Patch 5.0.4 (2012-08-28): The four Scarlet Monastery instances have been revamped and combined into two new ones: The Scarlet Halls and Scarlet Monastery.
- Patch 3.0.2 (2008-10-14): NPCs no longer bow to a player with [Corrupted Ashbringer].
- Patch 2.3.0 (2007-11-13): Loot from all bosses greatly improved.
- Patch 1.3.0 (2005-03-07):
- Capped at ten players.
- Doors requiring the Scarlet Key can now also be opened with a Large Seaforium Charge in addition to the lockpick ability.
- Patch 0.6 (2004-04-13): The Scarlet Monastery is now opened and itemized.