- For the pre-Mists of Pandaria instance and associated lore, see Scholomance (original). For the achievement, see .
|Scholomance new loading graphic|
33 (90 Heroic)
The Scholomance (SKOH-loh-mance), a vile academy for prospective necromancers of the Scourge, is located in the ruins of the palatial House of Barov, on a rise overlooking the abandoned city of Caer Darrow. Scholomance received a heroic mode along with a content redesign in a manner similar to Deadmines or Shadowfang Keep in the expansion, Mists of Pandaria. The layout of the dungeon changed to be less confusing, similar to how the Sunken Temple was done. Five bosses await adventurers there.
The Scholomance was founded by the rogue wizard nearly ten years ago. His Cult of the Damned renovated the ancient crypts beneath Caer Darrow (an old Arathorian fortress) and turned them into a school for necromancy. The Cult used this place to train its mortal agents and prepare to unleash the Plague of Undeath upon Lordaeron. It has been brewing with young talented wizards and adepts all this time. No one in Lordaeron knew. Originally, the Barov family (of Alterac) owned the land and gave it to the Cult in exchange for the Lich King's blessing of immortality. Now the Barovs remain as undead monsters. One of Kel'Thuzad's mightiest agents, the Ravenian, also lived within the recesses of the school — ever ready to devour those students who showed any sign of weakness. The lich ruled over the site guarding it for the Scourge, until he was destroyed. The mortal necromancer, , serves as headmaster of the school, succeeding  who was headmaster after Kel'Thuzad. Constructs, spirits, and demons are allowed to roam the halls untended, which is unexpected for such practiced necromancers.
This section concerns content exclusive to Cataclysm.
With the death of the Lich King and many of its leaders, including those once found in Scholomance, the Scourge became weakened. With no leadership, Darkmaster Gandling used his ability to control the undead and began to unofficially take control of the Scourge forces using them to keep control of Scholomance, the last holdout west of Thondroril, and attempt to take control of Andorhal. When Gandling failed to take Andorhal, he retreated back into Scholomance to bide his time.
From Blizzard's Official World Dungeons site:
- The Scholomance is housed within a series of crypts that lie beneath the ruined keep of Caer Darrow. Once owned by the noble Barov family, Caer Darrow fell into ruin following the Second War. As the wizard Kel'thuzad enlisted followers for his Cult of the Damned, he would often promise immortality in exchange for serving the Lich King. The Barov family fell to Kel'thuzad's charismatic influence and donated the keep and its crypts to the Scourge. The cultists then killed the Barovs and turned the ancient crypts into a school for necromancy known as the Scholomance. Though Kel'thuzad no longer resides in the crypts, devoted cultists and instructors still remain. The powerful lich, Ras Frostwhisper, rules over the site and guards it in the Scourge's name — while the mortal necromancer, Darkmaster Gandling, serves as the school's insidious headmaster.
Individuals seeking to master the powers of undeath know well of Scholomance, the infamous school of necromancy located in the dark and foreboding crypts beneath Caer Darrow. In recent years, several of the instructors have changed, but the institution remains under the control of Darkmaster Gandling, a particularly sadistic and insidious practitioner of necromantic magic.
- Darkmaster Gandling — Course: Advanced Studies
- Lilian Voss — Course: Reeducation
- Rattlegore — Course: Reanimation 101
- Instructor Chillheart — Course: Introduction to the Dark Arts
- Jandice Barov — Course: Advanced Illusions
- According to Romanian legend, a real Scholomance exists by an unnamed lake in the mountains south of the city of Hermannstadt (called Sibiu in Romanian) in Transylvania. This school of black magic is said to be run by the Devil, and would accept only ten students at a time. The tenth would remain to serve the Devil as payment for his teachings. The Scholomance in WoW is placed in the middle of the lake, much like its legendary namesake. In Bram Stoker's Dracula, Count Dracula is said to have spent several years training under the Devil in the Scholomance. It is referenced in both Stoker's novel and an article titled "Transylvanian Superstitions" on page 136 of The Nineteenth Century by Emily Gerard.
- Patch 5.0.4 (2012-08-28): Redesigned from the original Scholomance. Now has a Heroic mode for level 90 players.