Seed of Corruption
|Seed of Corruption|
Seed of Corruption is a binary spell, so it will either be completely resisted (no DoT and no explosion) or land for full damage. If the DoT lands, an explosion damaging everything around it is guaranteed.
Previously, any damage (including that from other party members) could detonate SoC. Since Patch 5.0.4, it can now only be triggered by damage done by the warlock, though if s/he has all three dots on the target, a couple of ticks is usually sufficient for detonation. Pet damage does not contribute. Furthermore, detonation also counts as damage that triggers other SoCs, leading to a cascade of explosions that contributes to massive burst AoE. SoC detonation consumes the effect of the DoT (i.e. stops the damage over time). It damages all enemies within 10 yds of the target, and both the DoT and the direct damage from the explosion can crit.
Tips and tactics
In instances, Seed of Corruption is most effective on large groups of mobs with relatively high health. the initial SoC to spread and increase shard generation. Then tab through applying SoC and spending shards on Soulburn: . Detonation will occur more quickly on a mob with full DoTs. If they won't live long enough for a few SoC to detonate, or multi-dotting is a better choice.
While soloing, it is difficult to use SoC because of the amount of time required to set up a large cascade, especially when taking spell pushback. If the group of mobs is large enough to warrant the use of SoC, it is probably too large for a single warlock to handle.
Plague of Undeath
This may be the contagion that was spread across Lordaeron via grain. Like the Plague of Undeath, the Seed of Corruption is a contagion created by infusing fel energy into a seed/grain with the purpose of draining and redistributing life-energy.
- Patch 5.2.0 (2013-03-05): Explosion radius has been reduced to 10 yards, down from 15.
- Patch 5.0.4 (2012-08-28): Seed of Corruption will now stack with , as well as . Damage required to set off the explosion will now only be counted by the casting Warlock.
- Patch 4.1.0 (2011-04-26): Damage has been increased by 20%.
- Patch 4.0.3a (2010-11-23): Damage has been increased to be more comparable to other area-of-effect abilities.
- Patch 2.3.0 (2007-11-13): Seed of Corruption detonation will now obey line of sight.
- Patch 2.1.0 (2007-05-22): This spell will now interact properly with town guards when bystanders are hit by its detonation in a duel.
- Patch 2.0.1 (2006-12-05): Added.