- The spell is used to remove an enemy from combat when attacked by multiple enemies, giving you time to kill off some of the other enemies. As such, this spell is a form of crowd control.
- Does not work against Forsaken players, since they are classified as Humanoid and not Undead.
- Can be used against death knights under the effect of , as well as their ghouls.
- Shackle Undead interrupts any spells being cast when it lands, so it can also be used as an interrupt even if it is immediately broken by damage.
- Patch 3.0.2 (2008-10-14): Mana cost changed to 9% of base mana in stead of 150 flat mana.