Shadowmeld is a racial ability possessed by night elves that allows them to use . Movement or damage will cause Shadowmeld to deactivate.
In World of Warcraft, any night elf may Shadowmeld at any time. In Warcraft III, night elves were only able to use it at night, and it was only available to females (not males, who were all druids). According to 's dialog, it is a power granted to the night elves by the goddess .
Tips and tactics
- Using shadowmeld will temporarily remove you from combat. When you cancel the effect, all aggro that was held towards you is restored, unless the mobs have leashed and reset.
- With timing and attention to patterns, many mob patrols may be evaded in Shadowmeld. Hunters can combine the skill with (to break combat) to solo instances, while Rogues and Druids could simply stealth.
While this ability isn't as useful to rogues, it can be used by all classes to hide from attacks or set up a surprise attack. However, an overlooked use for rogues is that Stealth and Shadowmeld operate on different cooldowns. A rogue or druid can use Shadowmeld while their stealth ability is on cooldown without entering a visible state in between. As a bonus, one can log out while in Shadowmeld. However, be warned: you will not be in Shadowmeld or Stealth/Prowl when you log back in.
- Patch 4.0.6 (2011-02-08): Can now be used while shapeshifted.
- Patch 3.1.0 (2009-04-14): Using this ability will no longer cause friendly players to deselect the night elf.
- Patch 3.0.8 (2009-01-20): This ability will now properly restore threat when it is canceled. In addition, it will correctly remove a player from combat if it is active when that player is the last person left alive that the creature hates. This ability is now also unusable while affected by .
- Patch 3.0.3 (2008-11-04): Cooldown starts upon melding instead of on becoming visible.
- Patch 3.0.2 (2008-10-14): Cooldown increased to 2 minutes, able to use in combat. Can no longer eat while in Shadowmeld. If you are eating and/or drinking and then Shadowmeld, you stop eating/drinking
- Patch 1.6.0 (2005-07-12): Now reports the correct error message when attempted in shapeshift form.
- Patch 1.1.0 (2004-11-07): Added.