|Level: 67 - 70
Battle Pet Level: 20 - 21
|Hand of Gul'dan|
Shadowmoon Valley is found in southeastern Outland, east of Terokkar Forest. It is the location of the Black Temple (where resides), and also houses a dwarven settlement named after (and led by) , as well as the prison where Illidan's former jailor, , is held captive. It is one of the darkest, bleakest and most fel-affected regions in the Warcraft-universe. The sky is always black and ghastly yellow, lightened up by the never-ceasing rain of infernals.
Shadowmoon Valley was once a lush moor engulfed in eternal night and lit by Draenor's two moons. This gave the entire land a relaxing, bluish hue that was reflected by its plant life. It was home to the Shadowmoon clan of orcs, a Botani village, and of course the draenei's Temple of Karabor; a feature which made the region the spiritual capital of draenei society. Though none of the races had particularly strong relations, they shared the valley peacefully for centuries; the draenei tending the herds of elekk and contemplating the mysteries of the Light, the Botani tending to the natural world, and the orcs charting the stars and practicing their shamanistic and runic magic.
All this changed, of course, when the Burning Legion made contact with Ner'zhul. The orcs became more aggressive, attacking innocent draenei for no apparent reason. When Ner'zhul discovered he was being used, the Legion turned to his pupil Gul'dan who proved a far more eager servant. Under his influence all the orc clans were united as the bloodthirsty Orcish Horde; backed by powerful Void and Fel magic, this Horde assaulted and destroyed the draenei settlements all across Draenor; Shadowmoon included. They then converged on the Temple of Karabor and, in one bloody night, the Orcish Horde had conquered the ancient site and killed the majority of its population. Gul'dan remodeled the bastion of the Light into an edifice of darkness named the Black Temple which he and his Shadow Council used as a headquarters. He also used his mighty warlock magic to raise a fel-tainted volcano in the middle of the valley to sever the orcs' link to the elements.
The volcano, called the Hand of Gul'dan, and the Black Temple's chain of fel rulers has transformed the lush valley into a blackened wasteland under a perpetual haze of black and green smoke and dotted with flows of green lava and green-tinted water.
Invasion of Draenor
This section concerns content exclusive to The Burning Crusade.
Once Draenor was transformed into Outland and the Legion began to see potential in these shattered remnants, Shadowmoon became perpetually bombarded by infernals summoned by the demon lords seeking to scour any remaining life from it. When Illidan defeated Magtheridon, the leader of the Legion's efforts in Outland, and returned from his failure to destroy the Frozen Throne, these demons converged on the Black Temple and began to lay siege to it on orders from Kil'jaeden who wished to see Illidan punished for his failures. Some of these demons turned on the Legion and began serving Illidan, thanks to a mysterious source of magic within the temple and Shadowmoon became the center of a demonic civil war.
Even after Illidan's death and the return of the temple to the draenei under Akama, it seems Shadowmoon is unlikely to recover the twilit beauty it once possessed and remains one of the grimmest reminders of what the Burning Legion is capable of.
Shadowmoon Valley is a barren wasteland of rock and ash, with little vegetation. The Hand of Gul'dan volcano dominates the center, from which green lava erupts.
The valley contains one raid instance (the Black Temple) and several elite areas.
Maps and subregions
|Dungeon Name||Level Range||Group Size||Approximate Run Time|
|Zone Name||Faction||Level Range||Direction||Access|
- Main article: Shadowmoon Valley (Outland) NPCs
- Main article: Shadowmoon Valley quests
- (both normal and rich veins)
- (found when mining the other metals' nodes above, even Nethercite)
- Illidari Point ( draenei)
- Eclipse Point ( draenei)
- Coilskar Point ( draenei)
- Warden's Cage ( orc)
- Ruins of Baa'ri ( draenei)
- Dragonmaw Fortress ( orc)
- Traditional flying mounts can be purchased at Wildhammer Stronghold for the Alliance and Shadowmoon Village for the Horde. The nether drakes are also purchased here from the Netherwing faction on Netherwing Ledge. Other places to purchase a flying mount include Blackwind Landing in Terokkar Forest from the Sha'tari Skyguard faction or Cenarion Refuge in Zangarmarsh from the Cenarion Expedition faction.
- The map of Shadowmoon Valley is the only Outland-map in World of Warcraft which doesn't show any stars in the Twisting Nether. It's most likely just a slip overlooked by the game developers.
- The zone's name comes from the massive moon in the sky. Usually obscured by the clouds, it is clearly visible from the Black Temple.
- In Hearthstone: Heroes of Warcraft, the Shadowmoon Valley card back was rewarded for achieving Rank 20 in Ranked Season 26, which took place during May 2016. The flavor text reads: "After Outland became what it is, Shadowmoon Valley has always been full of demonic energy. Gul'dan's favorite spa destination!"