Stormwind Harbor is a large port and shipyard, consisting of a series of wharfs, dry docks, and fortifications located in the northwestern area of Stormwind City, with the access point set between the Park and Cathedral Square districts. The harbor serves as a major strategic base for both the Kingdom of Stormwind and the Alliance. Here, many Alliance warships are constructed and fleets assembled; it is likely the largest and most important Alliance naval base in the Great Sea and potentially beyond. From a civilian perspective, transport ships regularly sail from the harbor to numerous other destinations across Azeroth, such as Rut'theran Village in Kalimdor, and Valiance Keep in Northrend.
The harbor is heavily fortified to protect against attack, presumably by the Horde, whose navy is also known to operate off the western coast of the Eastern Kingdoms. To this end, there are numerous tiered plateaus leading from the harbor up to the city proper, upon which are stationed articles of heavy artillery in the form of cannons (whether on the ground or mounted in towers). Additionally, on the harbor's lower tiers, numerous ballistae and steam tanks can be found aimed out to sea.
- 1 History
- 2 Features
- 3 Travel Connections
- 4 Points of interest
- 5 Inhabitants
- 6 Notes & trivia
- 7 Gallery
- 8 Patch changes
- 9 References
- 10 External links
This section concerns content exclusive to Wrath of the Lich King.
Immediately proceeding the commencement of the War against the Lich King, Stormwind Harbour was preemptively attacked by Scourge forces, including Frost wyrms and abominations. The Alliance command, including King Varian Wrynn and Highlord Bolvar Fordragon, was set up on top of the harbour's walls, overlooking the battle below.
Tides of War
This section concerns content exclusive to Jaina Proudmoore: Tides of War novel.
Following the annihilation of Theramore at the hands of Warchief and the Horde, a large Alliance fleet under the command of King Varian Wrynn set sail from Stormwind Harbor with the intention of launching an assault on the Orc city of Orgrimmar in response.
Following the conclusion of the battle, and the subsequent destruction of much of the fleet, it is revealed that a new armada is under construction in the harbour, the designers utilising new and improved techniques to ensure the new ships are even better than before.
Siege of Orgrimmar
This section concerns content exclusive to Mists of Pandaria.
During the final battle with Garrosh Hellscream in the Siege of Orgrimmar (on heroic mode), the Heart of Y'Shaarj notably transported Garrosh's adversaries to Stormwind Harbor. This version of the harbour, however, proved to be one in a dystopian future, where the True Horde has succeeded in overwhelming all opposition, with Stormwind and its harbor in ruins.
Similarly, the also grants a vision of the ruined harbor in a possible future. In this reality, the remaining leaders of the coalition against Garrosh have made their final stand in the harbor, and can be seen impaled on stakes adorning the harbor's main promenade.
This section concerns content exclusive to Legion.
Stormwind Harbor is the launching point for the Alliance forces sent to attack the Broken Shore. Accepting puts the player into a phased version of the harbor, where the weather is always rainy and gloomy. Ships, soldiers, siege weapons and flying machines are being prepared by all the races of the Alliance. Several things can be seen there:
- Alliance Recruits engaging in a variety of things, like sleeping, training, reading books or enjoying a last meal before the assault on the Broken Shore. A platoon of them salutes the adventurer as they go to their ship.
- , and handling the flow of volunteers looking to join the army.
- Officer Carven and Officer Blythe, promoted from the days of the war against the Lich King and discussing the whereabouts of the third fleet.
- Gnome engineers working on Gnomeregan Gyrocopters.
- Many followers from Lunarfall, such as , are present. Several are dueling at the sparring ring. was also there, watching over the followers.
- A lecture under the guidance of about the various demons of the Burning Legion. nearby came with tomes and scrolls from the Royal Library, which he lent to the recruits willing to know about the strengths and weaknesses of the Legion.
- Some vendors have come down from the city to sell to the troops. is selling her tabards, and reagents. , thus far standing around idly in the Old Town, is now trying to con recruits with his "lucky charms".
- , and preparing a banquet of dumplings, baked fish, fried rice, ribs, baked fowl and grilled fish for the recruits. All three used to be available as followers for both sides in WoD, come Legion, they seem to have sided with the Alliance.
- The humongous .
- , and with their Light-Infused Crystals from the Exodar, which were used to enhance the weapons of those going to fight the demons.
- , , and working on blessing bandages for the front. Interestingly, Brother Zuo used to be a Horde follower at Frostwall.
- and preparing high-quality armor polish for the troops.
- and his Ironforge Blastsmiths delivering cannons and cannonballs forged at the Great Forge to , Stormwind quartermaster.
- and a platoon of 7th Legion Submariners.
- (and her )'s battleship. , ex-Wintergrasp quartermaster, is standing by the ship.
A short distance from the mainland, northwest of the harbour itself, sits the lighthouse. Naturally, the lighthouse serves to guide the many ships in to the harbour using its powerful light which is perpetually shining. The lighthouse is one of the key features of the harbour and is visible from almost all areas of it.
Stormwind Harbor contains several wharfs and jetties protruding into the bay. It is from these that the ships entering and leaving the harbor dock and launch from. The wharfs serve both a civilian and military function, as vessels associated with both are known to regularly make use of them. Notably, the southernmost dock appears to be both operated and guarded by Darnassus, it serving as the link between the human and night elf capitals.
The contents behind the large gate in the harbour, which is located on its northern face, is currently unknown. Due to the similarity it shares with hangers, it is possible that it is used to build or house Alliance gunships. This is also supported by the fact that there are currently no known locations where these airships are made, despite the Alliance possessing at least several of them. Whatever is truly behind the gate, it must be of some great import or value, judging by its impressive security.
The harbor is also home to a set of dry docks. These docks are responsible for the creation and maintenance of warships in the Alliance navy, and can be found in the harbor's northwest, near to the lighthouse. The docks appear to be currently specialising in dealing with the powerful Icebreaker class of destroyers, which were first used in the campaign in Northrend.
As part of the harbor's potent defences, a fortress is located at the highest tier, with a commanding view of the entire port. it is located on the edge of the Stormwind City Cemetery, and boasts a range of cannons protruding from its interior. Similar to the other fortifications, the fortress' primary function appears to be to ward off any assault on the harbor - or the city - from the sea, although it may also function as a guardhouse for the harbor guards.
- Rut'theran Village from southern dock (with night elf architecture)
- Valiance Keep from northern dock
Note: During the quest , the boat to Valiance Keep is phased out and inaccessible, replaced with the mercenary ship going to Vashj'ir. If you need a ride to Valiance Keep, either complete the Vashj'ir quest first, or abandon it and reaccept it later.
Points of interest
- The Assurance (Repair, General Goods, Reagents, Food & Drink)
Excludes The Assurance.
(Night Elf dock)
Notes & trivia
- Stormwind City is the only capital city containing a harbor within the city boundaries; sea access to Darnassus is through Rut'theran Village, which is not located within the city itself. Stormwind is also the only capital city with an open waterfront within its city boundaries.
- Approximately every half hour, a Prisoner disembarks from The Bravery and is escorted by four Stormwind City Guards to the Stormwind Stockade.
- offers a free scenic gryphon tour around the harbor.
- is stationed behind the boats, and is taking a day off after his big work on the Stormwind Harbor, because he technically made it. Steven Allen is a Senior 3D Artist at Blizzard Entertainment who designed the harbor.
- The gatehouse granting access to the harbor was built by human, dwarven, and gnomish construction workers all under the supervision of .
- The waters around the harbor are home to Bluetip Threshers, which are known to attack any who enter the bay.
- and Ceya Northbrooke first met here more than 12 years before the Invasion of Pandaria.
This section concerns content exclusive to Legion.
The harbor before the assault on the Broken Shore.
Followers duelling before departure.
Third fleet about to depart.
- Patch 4.0.3a (2010-11-23): The Auberdine boat now goes to Rut'theran Village.
- Patch 3.0.2 (2008-10-14): Added.