|The subject of this article was removed from World of Warcraft in patch 6.0.2.
|Race||Core hound (Beast)|
|Location||The Furnace, Upper Blackrock Spire|
|Relative(s)||Beauty (mate), Buster, Lucky, Runty, Spot, Son of the Beast (pups)|
|Pet family||Core Hound|
The Beast is a boss found at The Furnace in Upper Blackrock Spire. It appears to be a Core hound that has been captured by the forces of Nefarian for use in his breeding experiments. (Experiments on other core hounds could account for the creation of Chromaggus, a core hound-like dragonkin who is the second-to-last boss found in Blackwing Lair.)
At some point before he is encountered by a party, the Beast had swallowed Finkle Einhorn, a gnomish adventurer who has survived in the Beast's stomach for an unspecified period of time. Skinning The Beast will free Finkle.
Nefarian's dragonkin take obscene delight in the barbaric torture of Ragnaros's captured minions. Despite suffering unimaginable agony, one core hound remained lucid enough to be retrained, and his ferocity makes him an ideal guard in the upper levels of Blackrock Spire.
- Berserker Charge — The Beast charges a random player, inflicting Physical damage and knocking them back.
- Immolate — The Beast burns a random player, inflicting Fire damage instantly and additional Fire damage every 3 seconds for 15 sec.
- Fire Blast — The Beast blasts his current target with fire, instantly inflicting Fire damage.
- Terrifying Roar — The Beast roars, causing all players within 0 yards to flee in fear for 5 sec.
- Flamebreak — The Beast emits flames, inflicting Fire damage to all players within 0 yards and knocking them back.
- Fireball — The Beast inflicts Fire damage to his current target.
Essentially, a tank will need to keep aggro on The Beast at all times as he hits extremely hard and can kill a cloth wearer in 2 or 3 hits. The rest of the raid will want to DPS him. As long as the Main Tank can keep aggro (best to say the Main Tanks, since it is unlikely that aggro can be consistently held, due to The Beast's oft-cast fears and random charges) and you have sufficient healing, this fight should be a simple one. He may drop , which increases skinning by 10, so anyone in the group with a skinning skill of 300 should roll on this if they don't have it already, otherwise it can be greeded. It is vital to have a player in the raid who can skin The Beast, as they can receive the and also reveal Finkle Einhorn, who is the start of a quest chain.
The Beast is shown to know 7 moves: Terrifying Roar, Flamebreak, Fire Blast, Summon Player, Fireball, Berserk Charge and Immolate.
Prior to Patch 4.0.3a, The Beast was very well known to Beast Mastery hunters, as it was the only pet in the game that retained the 'Level ?? (Boss)' tag even after taming. As this was changed by Blizzard, The Beast was most likely never intended to actually keep the boss tags in this way. Arguably in compensation for this change, Blizzard allowed many classic, level 60 bosses (such as Chromaggus and Buru the Gorger) to be tamed by Beast Mastery hunters.
- 870 - 1,180 Damage
- 3,714 Armor
- He appears as a legendary card in Hearthstone: Heroes of Warcraft. Upon death, he summons Finkle Einhorn for the opponent. His flavor text reads: "He lives in Blackrock Mountain. He eats Gnomes. That's pretty much it."
- Patch 6.0.2 (2014-10-14): Removed. Replaced by Son of the Beast.
- Patch 4.0.3a (2010-11-23): No longer a level ?? boss.