The Black Knight (tactics)
|Affiliation(s)||Cult of the Damned|
|Location||Crusaders' Coliseum, Icecrown|
- For his appearence in the Argent Tournament Grounds, see .
He's voiced by Matthew Mercer.
The Lich King is cunning and will use treachery to thwart his enemies. To that end, he has dispatched the Black Knight to eliminate promising candidates from Highlord Tirion Fordring's army. The undead's mere presence defiles the Crusaders' Coliseum, and those who prevail against him will prove their worthiness.
- Phase 1 & 2
- Plague Strike (Heroic mode) — A vicious strike that deals weapon damage and plagues the target with Blood Plague, dealing Shadow damage over time.
- Icy Touch (Heroic mode) — Inflicts 2,925 to 3,075 (Heroic: 4,875 to 5,125) Frost damage and causes Frost Fever.
- Obliterate (Heroic mode) — A brutal instant attack that deals 125% weapon damage plus 720 (Heroic: 1500), total damage increased 30% per each of your diseases on the target, removing the diseases on the target.
- Phase 1 only
- Death's Respite (Heroic mode) 50 yd range — Death's Respite stuns the target for 2 seconds, inflicts 8,288 to 8,712 (Heroic: 13,163 to 13,837) Shadow damage and knocks the target back. Used on random target. 1.81 sec cast
- Raise Dead — Raises a Ghoul to fight by your side. Raises either or , killed at the beginning of the fight
- Ghoul Explode — The Black Knight forces a Ghoul minion to explode! 5 sec channel
- Phase 2 only
- Army of the Dead — Summons an entire legion of Ghouls to fight for the Death Knight. Used at the beginning of Phase 2. Summons a number of Risen Champions.
- Ghoul Explode 50 yd range — The Black Knight forces a Ghoul minion to explode! 0.903 sec cast
- Desecration (Heroic mode) 50 yd range — Causes desecrated ground at a targets location. Targets in the area are slowed by 50% by the grasping arms of the dead while standing on the unholy ground. Lasts 2 sec. Inflicts 1,170 to 1,230 (Heroic: 1,950 to 2,050) Shadow damage every 2 seconds.
- Phase 3
- Death's Bite (Heroic mode) — Inflicts 1950 to 2050 Shadowfrost damage to all enemies and increases magic damage taken by 5% for 15 sec. Stacking
- Marked For Death — The Black Knight has marked you for death, increasing magic damage taken by 200% for 10 seconds.
Each phase is about killing The Black Knight once:
Phase 1: Corporeal form
The Black Knight will end his introduction and engage in combat. The Tank should immediatly start building threat while melee and ranged begin their dps. A few seconds after the Black knight begins his attack an add will spawn that should quickly be picked up by the tank. The Black Knight has an attack that sends a targeted team member flying back, much like the one he uses on the NPC at the beginning. Once the add is dead DPS can resume on the Black Knight. The ghoul add can also be kept completely out of the fight by a priest with Shackle Undead, a hunter using Ice Trap, or a Paladin using Fear Undead. Once the Black Knight dies in phase 1, the ghoul will explode on it's own.
Phase 2: Skeleton form
The raid should group up on the corpse of the Black Knight before he spawns into his second form. Upon respawning he will cast an "Army of the Dead" spell. The risen ghouls Have very low HP and if killed fast enough, their explosive aoe spell can be bypassed.
In a very AOE heavy group this can be achieved simply by AOEing in a tight group, this will ensure that all the adds are evenly AOED and die at relatively the same time.
An alternate strategy for these adds is a quick focus fire order in which a DPS member can be focused to burn down each add down fast enough to avoid any explosion damage.
In either of these strategies The Tank must make sure to give off as much initial threat pull as possible without damaging them to the point where their aoe explode spell begins to channel.
After the ghouls are dead, finish off the flesh wounded Black Knight. Don't bother Desecration since it does negligible damage.
Alternatively, you can just focus killing the Black Knight and leave the ghouls up. At the end of the phase, they will all explode. Make sure no players are standing next to them at the end, or too many explosions could be fatal.
Phase 3: Ghost form
Keep an eye on the player who receives the Marked For Death debuff since he gets definitely the most damage. No adds in this Phase, simply finish off The Black Knight.
If there is a priest in your party, phase 3 healing is trivialized by the use of Divine Hymn followed with spamming of Prayer of Healing.
You've impressed everyone here today with your skills in the arena. It is now time to be recognized before all as a champion of the tournament.
- Highlord Tirion Fordring yells: Well done. You have proven yourself today-
- The Black Knight spawns on his gryphon by the roof. The herald turns in his direction, looking up.
- Jaeren Sunsworn/Arelas Brightstar says: What's that, up near the rafters?
- The Black Knight circles down to the floor and lands near the herald to dismount.
- The Black Knight says: You spoiled my grand entrance, rat.
- The Black Knight casts Death's Respite on the herald, killing him.
- Highlord Tirion Fordring yells: What is the meaning of this?
- The Black Knight says: Did you honestly think that an agent of the Lich King would be bested on the field of your pathetic little tournament?
- The Black Knight says: I've come to finish my task.
- King Varian Wrynn yells: Don't just stand there; kill him!
- Garrosh Hellscream yells: Tear him apart!
- The Black Knight yells: This farce ends here!
- Phase 2
- My rotting flesh was just getting in the way!
- The Black Knight raises <Arelas Brightstar/Jaeren Sunsworn> as a ghoul.
- Risen <Arelas Brightstar/Jaeren Sunsworn> says: [Zombie] .... .... .....
- Phase 3
- I have no need for bones to best you!
- Killing a player
- A waste of flesh.
- No! I must not fail... again...
- Highlord Tirion Fordring yells: My congratulations, champions. Through trials both planned and unexpected, you have triumphed.
- Highlord Tirion Fordring yells: Go now and rest; you've earned it.
- Exiting the coliseum
- The <Alliance/Horde> spectators cheer for <name>.
- The <player's race>s of <city> cheer for <name>.
Patches and hotfixes
- Hotfix (2009-08-05): "The Black Knight will now drop a " in heroic difficulty.
- Patch 3.2.0 (2009-08-04): Added.