|Level: 50 - 55
Battle Pet Level: 15 - 16
|Sources: World of Warcraft: Cataclysm|
Lush Un'Goro Crater (pronounced uhn-GOH-roh) ("God Lands" in the Qiraji language) lies at the southern part of Southern Kalimdor, between Tanaris, Silithus and Uldum. Although the area is almost completely isolated from the rest of the world and sandwiched between three deserts, the region is filled with exotic plant life and even more exotic creatures. Ranging from peaceful earth elementals to raging devilsaurs, the locals are not to be trifled with.
- 1 History
- 2 Getting there
- 3 Geography
- 4 Notable characters
- 5 Quests
- 6 Resources
- 7 Wild creatures
- 8 Achievement
- 9 Pylons and Power Crystals
- 10 Notes
- 11 Speculation
- 12 Gallery
- 13 Patch changes
- 14 References
- 15 External links
When the Titans shaped Azeroth, Freya designed Un'Goro Crater to be an area for experimentation along with Sholazar Basin and the Vale of Eternal Blossoms. All three locations were places where the power of the Well of Eternity had coalesced. The Wild Gods emerged from these cradles of life. According to Nablya you might call Un'Goro Crater the Titans' petri dish. This coincides with theories of Un'Goro being the home of the Titans when they inhabited Kalimdor. From the Shaper's Terrace Freya performed tests and experiments. Ever since she left Nablya tool her place to observe and watch over Un'Goro. Normally the titanic watchers does not interfere with the matters of Azeroth, but here in Un'Goro, they are free to take a more direct approach. As Un'Goro is the experimental ground of the Titans, it is their right to do so. Many of the creatures in the crater existed long before the titans arrived, but some did not. Nevertheless, they observe them all, without prejudice. Like the Sholazar Basin, Un'Goro is unusual ecologically and geographically, contains crystal pylons, and has remnants of guardian constructs that protect the land. The Shaper's Terrace was added in Wrath of the Lich King. The quest chain to visit the Shaper's Terrace begins with the quest given by Avatar of Freya in Sholazar Basin.
During the War of the Shifting Sands the night elf army was pushed back through Un'Goro Crater, to the borders of the Tanaris desert. Something in Un'Goro prevented the Qiraji from being able to take the land.
Recently an expedition troupe led by Williden and Hol'anyee Marshal set foot into the crater. However their endeavor was not fully prepared for everything, having underestimating the savagery of Un'Goro, and ended sooner than they wished. They sought higher ground from the savage beasts of the Crater once their base camps were overrun, making their escape at Marshal's Refuge. When the Cataclysm struck Azeroth, it disrupted the cloaking mechanism that kept the Shaper's Terrace hidden. The titans did not forsee the scenario that a member of an intelligent races discover them there. So they now require to perform some new tests. The expedition troupe was also attacked by Stone Guardians, forcing the troupe to flee and find another shelter with a small number of casualties. Now, Williden Marshal and his team have built a new camp for them, Marshal's Stand, which has some improvements when compared to their old refuge, indicating that they are managing to adapt themselves to live at Un'Goro Crater.
An area between the Lakkari Tar Pits and the Marshlands has also changed, blooming with hundreds of flowers as a result of the Bloodpetals. The blooming has grown such to an extent that it's beginning to throw off the natural balance in the area.
- Alliance and Horde
- Un'Goro can be reached from Silithus to the west or Tanaris to the east. In the South-Western most point of Tanaris there is a path between two dark-grey stone pillars (in Thistleshrub Valley). In some places it is possible to jump into the crater in stages, avoiding death. However, those who don't want to take the chance can use the ramps leading down to the crater floor, found in southwestern Tanaris and northeastern Silithus. The flight path for the zone is south of the volcano, known as Marshal's Stand.
Un'Goro is a massive crater full of amazingly lush jungle and teeming with life. Dinosaurs roam freely here, as the land is wild and unpredictable. At the center of the crater a volcano rises, and fire elementals prowl. In addition, many strange and beautiful crystals dot the landscape, their purpose unknown to most but an object of research for some of the adventurous scientists camped in the area.
Maps and subregions
- Flight paths
|Zone Name||Faction||Level Range||Direction||Access|
|Tanaris||40-50||East||By foot or flightpaths from Marshal's Refuge to Gadgetzan|
|Silithus||55-60||West||By foot or flightpaths from Marshal's Refuge to Cenarion Hold|
|Uldum||83-84||South||By flying mount only|
- Main article: Un'Goro Crater NPCs
At Marshal's Stand, Williden Marshal has led a team of explorers and biologists to take refuge from the crater's monstrous wildlife. Near the entrance to Tanaris, Torwa Pathfinder attempts to hunt down the elusive Lar'korwi. And at Fire Plume Ridge, poor Ringo desperately awaits the help of bold adventurers to guide him to safety from the powerful fire elementals that roam the crags, led by the terrible Blazerunner.
- Main article: Un'Goro Crater quests
Quests in the crater range between level 50 and 55. Most quests in this area involve performing tasks for the scientists found at Marshal's Stand, studying the life, history, and crystals of the crater. There is also a chain in which players help to identify and deal with the silithid menace which has appeared in southern Un'Goro.
Un'goro Crater is a region largely untouched by the advances of modern society, and as such boasts a large variety of natural minerals, plants, soil and crystals.
Miners will find both Thorium Veins and Rich Thorium Veins as well as a smattering of Mithril Deposits throughout the crater, particularly around the walls. More can be found at Fire Plume ridge, in the middle of the crater, and also in the South West part.
Herbalists will find a variety of herbs growing throughout the crater. is commonly found near the northern tar pits. and, more commonly, are available on grassy areas. is found by the water. and grow on the hot rocks of Fire Plume Ridge.
Soil may be found in numerous piles around the crater. Harvesting this is possible even without a profession, and usually nets 1-4 Un'goro soil samples. This is used together with Tharlendris seeds and an Evergreen Pouch to produce , used in repeatable reputation quests for Thunder Bluff/Cenarion Circle and Darnassus/Cenarion Circle, depending on your faction. It can be sold to vendors for 1 46.
Also available are the Power crystals: blue, red, green and yellow. These can be used with the power pylons in exchange for temporary buffs. These are accessed after completing a quest for J.D. Collie, a gnome located at Marshal's Stand, who gives a manual instructing which crystals are used with what pylon. They are also used in a few Arcanum quests. They cannot be sold to vendors but can be auctioned or traded.
- (One of the few regions where you can gather it.)
- (Fungal Rock only)
- (Skinning level 55-60 elite devilsaurs)
- Tar beasts
- Fire elementals
- Steam elementals
- Stone golems
Pylons and Power Crystals
- Main article: Power crystals
- Before Cataclysm, there was a long quest series referencing Nintendo characters such as Link. A humorous quest sequence was added in Cataclysm that rewarded players with .
- The name and region is most likely inspired by the Ngorongoro Crater in the Ngorongoro Conservation Area of northeastern Tanzania, Africa.
- A very large number of NPCs and objects in Un'Goro Crater were a direct reference to the 1970s Saturday Morning TV show (and feature film) Land of the Lost. Examples of references include:
- Marshal's Refuge; The last names of the main characters in Land of the Lost was Marshal.
- One of the three main characters in Land of the Lost is Holly. This is referenced in Hol'anyee, as well as Will from the show being referenced in his Un'Goro counterpart.
- A major plot element in Land of the Lost are the pylons, devices of unknown origin which open portals through space, time, and dimensions. They are powered and controlled though consoles comprised of patterns of red, green, blue, and yellow crystals.
- The inspiration of Un'Goro and Sholazar Basin by Land of the Lost has been seemingly confirmed with the naming of the subzone: The Lost Lands in Sholazar Basin.
- Aru-Talis may be an incorrect night elven legend about Un'Goro Crater.
- Patch 4.0.3a (2010-11-23): New quests, new NPCs and Marshal's Stand as a inn added. Marshal's Refuge now abandoned.
- Patch 3.0.2 (2008-10-14): The Shaper's Terrace added.
- Patch 1.11.0 (2006-06-20): Flight point added at Marshal's Refuge.
- Patch 1.6.0 (2005-07-12): Dimetradons in Un'Goro Crater should be found more regularly now.
- Patch 1.5.0 (2005-06-07): Additional mithril nodes have been added in Un'Goro crater.
- Patch 1.2.0 (2004-12-18): Fixed the rotating animations of the crystals in Un'Goro Crater.
- Patch 0.9 (2004-08-17): Quests added.