Theldren is a level 60 elite Dwarf who hangs out at the arena Ring of the Law in Blackrock Depths. He is part of of several gladiators which he participates along with in the arena. As seen from his abilties, Theldren is clearly a Warrior.
Theldren was apparently once a member of the mercenary-company The Veiled Blade. After the failed attempt at (completely) killing , Theldren left the company with a piece of Lord Valthalak's amulet and became a gladiator for the Dark Iron dwarfs in Blackrock Depths. According to , another of the former members of The Veiled Blade, Theldren beat him to an inch of his life when Anthion tried to retrieve Theldren's amulet-piece as Anthion had realised the curse behind it. As such, Theldren is a very violent and egoistic dwarf. Not either concerned with honor and good sportsmanship, he is unwilling to participate in a fair fight. Still, he is a bit of a hot-head and will rush into a fight if his family's honor is being mocked.
It is unknown if the gladiators Theldren fight alongside with are also former members of The Veiled Blade. It is however implied that Theldren is their leader by how the refers to them as "his goons" (see #Trivia), as well as how the is specifically designed for luring him out.
- Battle Shout — The warrior shouts, increasing the attack power of all party members within 20 yards by 185. Lasts 2 min.
- Demoralizing Shout — Reduces the attack power of all enemies within 10 yards by 140 for 30 sec.
- Disarm — Disarm the enemy's weapon for 5 sec. (1 minute cooldown)
- Drink Healing Potion — Uses a Holy elixir to heal the caster. Heals for 394 to 456, but has been observed to heal for 1744 HP.
- Frightening Shout — Shouts at nearby enemies causing them to flee in fear for 6 sec.
- Hamstring — Maims the enemy, causing 45 damage and slowing the enemy's movement by 50% for 15 sec.
- Intercept — Charge an enemy, causing 65 damage and stunning it for 3 sec.
- Mortal Strike — A vicious strike that deals weapon damage plus 160 and wounds the target, reducing the effectiveness of any healing by 50% for 10 sec. (6 seconds cooldown)
Theldren and his fellow gladiators can be summoned using a . The Arena Spoils will be lootable after their defeat.
Theldren's team of gladiators includes:
- - a Gnome Rogue (or Monk?)
- - a Gnoll Rogue
- - a Centaur Hunter (with pet , a hyena)
- - a Troll Priest
- - a Forsaken Mage using frost-spells
- - a Quilboar Mage using fire-spells
- - a Tauren Shaman
- - a Goblin Engineer who uses different devices
Notice that not all his gladiators can join him at the same time. He is always accompanied by four of them, and it is random which of them it is. If a player wish to fight all of them, it will require at minimum 2 fights with Theldren (only one fight may be fought each Blackrock Depths-run, thus instance will have to be reset).
The fight with Theldren and his gladiators is unique compared to many other boss-fights. While most bosses found in 5-man instances know on average 2-3 abilities, the members of Theldren's group know about 6-7 each. Many of the abilities are also used by player-controlled classes, rather than being unique abilities specific to a unique NPC as with most other bosses. This makes the members of Theldren's group similar to real players. Furthermore, the varying purposes of their abilities (some are CC, some are AoE, etc.) and the apparent class-roles of the members both in visual looks and acting (Va'jashni is a priest healer, Volida is a ranged mage DPS, etc.) makes Theldren's group resemble a organized group of real enemy players, almost as when in an Battleground. Because of this, some players claim that the fight is more PvP-like than PvE. This may be intended as Theldren and all his gladiators are also immune to taunts, which is one of the most basic features of PvE while almost nonexistent in PvP.
- I'm going to kick yer ugly head in!
- You want a fight? A fight you'll get!
- I crush weaklings like you every day! Bring it on!
- It seems he owned a runeblade once.
- Fighting him was part of the Dungeon 2 questline which was removed in Cataclysm. Players who have the from it should still be able to summon him, but as the quests to obtain it were challenging before The Burning Crusade and technically pointless to do afterwards (due to the quest rewards being outdated), few players are likely to possess this item.
- Theldren is mentioned in the book . This is given to the player along with a as rewards later in the the Dungeon Set 2 quest line. What is being described is how a player completing the quests will keep the and may use it to summon Theldren and his gladiators in Blackrock Depths as many times as he/she wants.
"As a side note, because I know that you'll be interested in knowing, the Banner of Provocation can be used in similar fashion at the arena in Blackrock Depths. Be sure to teach Theldren and his goons a lesson for me every time you get a chance when you're there."
- Patch 1.10.0 (2006-03-28): Added.
- ^ The book tells of The Veiled Blade's last mission. As Theldren was present and received part of the spoils, as told in , one may surmise that he was one of The Veiled Blade's members.
- ^ - Quest description: "Last I heard of him, he'd become a gladiator for the Dark Iron dwarves."
- ^ - Quest description: "We didn't realize the importance of Valthalak's medallion, so it was divided along with the rest of the spoils. The first piece was taken by a dwarf named Theldren. I tried to retrieve it from him and he beat me within an inch of my life. You shall have to take the fragment by force."
- ^ - Quest description: "Valthalak's soul was stored in this amulet. In our greed we foolishly split it into three parts, not knowing the curse that would await us."
- ^ - Quest description: "Theldren is not one to willingly participate in a fair fight. I've shaped this banner to display his family colors. With some additional sorcery, this banner shall provoke him in a way he won't be able to resist."