(Redirected from Thorns (druid ability))
- We can learn much from the elder vine, which threatens with barbs the hand that would trim it back.
Thorns is a Restoration druid honor talent, available at rank 19. It applies a buff on a friendly target that cause enemies to take Nature damage when attacking them.
- The damage dealt by Thorns is increased by the casting druid's spell power at the time of casting.
- The Druid Tier 1 armor set, Cenarion Raiment, boosts the effectiveness of Thorns. The three piece bonus increases the damage caused by 4 and the duration by 50%.
Tips and tactics
- Cast Thorns on tanks to help them keep aggro on multiple enemies. Always keep Thorns up on yourself when you are tanking to provide some additional threat.
- Thorns will act as a buffer against dispels in PvP, giving enemies a chance to dispel your Thorns instead of some more important buff.
- The damage caused by Thorns can, due to lag, sometimes break crowd control effects like . Because of this, if you or someone in your party has latency of over 500, you may want to avoid using Thorns if you are using any in-combat crowd control.
- Thorns can be very useful when being attacked by an enemy that has very low health as they will often die quickly from the Thorns damage without requiring your attention. Many creatures summon minions that have few hit points - Thorns will effectively dispatch these enemies for you.
- As Thorns benefits from your spell power at the time of casting, you can activate any trinkets that increase spell power before casting it to maximize the effect.
Patches and hotfixes
- Patch 7.0.3 (2016-07-19): Re-added as an honor talent. Now lasts for 15 seconds, down from 20 seconds.
- Patch 5.0.4 (2012-08-28): Removed.
- Patch 4.0.3a (2010-11-23): Beginner tooltip revised to no longer imply the spell could be kept up at all times. In addition, Thorns damage has been reduced by 60%.
- Patch 4.0.1 (2010-10-12): Duration reduced from 10 minutes to 20 seconds. Damage increased significantly.
- Hotfix (2009-05-22): "The bonus damage from spell power on the Druid ability Thorns has been reduced by half."
- Patch 3.1.0 (2009-04-14): This spell will now properly use the druid's spell power to determine its scaling instead of the target's spell power.