The tier 1 eight-piece epic armor set is found from bosses and trash mobs in the Molten Core. Each set's bracers and belt are Bind on Equip, and thus they can be traded. See Molten Core loot and the individual set articles for more information as to where each piece may drop.
Before Patch 1.4, tier 2 also dropped in Molten Core. At the time, the numeric "tier X" nomenclature was not widespread, so the armor sets were generally referred to as "lower tier" and "higher tier". Tier 2 was readded to the game with Blackwing Lair two months later in Patch 1.6.
Due to frequent complaints of often looting "useless" druid or warlock gear, Blizzard implemented the "quest loot" concept for raids after Blackwing Lair (starting in Patch 1.7 with Zul'Gurub). With quest loot, bosses drop a token limited to three or four classes that would be turned in alongside other reagents and often also requires a high reputation standing with various factions. Quest loot was further refined in Burning Crusade to the "loot token" concept, which did not require completing quests or turning in reagents.
|Priest||Vestments of Prophecy|
|Warrior||Battlegear of Might|
|Shoulders||Hunter, Priest, Rogue, Warrior|
|Druid, Mage, Paladin, Shaman, Warlock|
|Shaman, Priest, Paladin, Rogue|
|Mage, Druid, Hunter|
|Feet||Mage, Druid, Shaman, Paladin|
|Priest , Warlock, Rogue|
- ^ a b Any trash mob in the instance can drop any wrist or waist piece of Tier 1. In exchange, these pieces are Bind on Equip, rather than Bind on Pickup, and can be traded or sold on the Auction House.
See Molten Core loot for details.
- Patch 1.6.0 (2005-07-12): Felheart, Cenarion, Giantstalker's and Earthfury item sets now have updated art. The Felheart Skullcap is now also called something more appropriate to the new art.
- Patch 1.5.0 (2005-06-07):
- Patch 1.4.0 (2005-05-05):
- The following set items have had their art updated: [...] , [and] all parts of the warrior "Might" set. Other class sets will receive updated art in future patches.
- Prior to this patch, Molten Core boss creatures could drop items from one of two different tiered sets for every character class. The loot tables have been changed so Molten Core bosses will now only drop items from the lower tier class sets. However, some of the items from those sets were not previously dropping in Molten Core. These missing class set items will now drop in Molten Core, allowing players to complete their lower tier class sets. The higher tier class set pieces that once dropped in Molten Core will be found once again in Blackwing Lair, the next raiding zone scheduled for release in a future patch.
- Patch 1.3.0 (2005-03-07): Several of the dungeon and raid armor sets have been updated with their non-placeholder textures. These sets include the [...] Prophecy, [and] Arcanist's [...] sets. Future patches will update more dungeon and raid sets.
- Patch 1.1.0 (2004-11-07): Added.