Twilight dragon (Dragonkin)
Ultraxion is the fifth boss to appear in the Dragon Soul raid. He is so monstrous that he cannot land atop Wyrmrest Temple, so players must stand on the ledge and battle him as he flies next to the temple. The damage in the fight is reminiscent of Patchwerk in Naxxramas with just ridiculous amounts of damage; a gear check boss. However, while Patchwerk was a simple tank and spank, Ultraxion has mechanics which can tax the coordination abilities of the raid.
World first heroic kill on 25-man achieved 7.12.2011 by Exodus - US-Ysondre.
- 1 Background
- 2 Abilities
- 3 Strategy
- 4 Loot
- 5 Related Achievements
- 6 Quotes
- 7 Videos
- 8 References
- 9 Patches and hotfixes
- 10 External links
More an abomination of dark energy than a dragon, Ultraxion has spent his short life absorbing the essence of captured nether dragons. Ultraxion is the only twilight dragon Deathwing has praised, and his arrogance is overshadowed only by the crackling energies surging through his twisted form. Loyal to his master, Ultraxion swears to bring about the fall of Wyrmrest Temple.
After 6 minutes have passed, Ultraxion will cast Twilight Eruption, a 5 second cast that will instantly wipe the raid.
- Unstable Monstrosity — Growing Twilight instability causes arcs of Twilight energy to erupt from Ultraxion's hide, inflicting 300,000 Shadow damage every 6 seconds, split evenly among enemy players in the Twilight Realm and within 30 yards of the target. Every minute that Ultraxion remains in combat reduces the time between arcs by 1 second, to a maximum rate of one arc per second In addition, the instability prevents Ultraxion from parrying attacks. Raid Finder: 536250; 10-player Heroic: 400,000; 25-player: 825,000; 25-player Heroic: 1,100,000
- Twilight Shift — At the beginning of the battle, Ultraxion pulls all enemies with him into the Twilight Realm, where they can bear the full brunt of his powerful Twilight assaults. Being pulled into the Twilight Realm grants players the Heroic Will ability.
- Heroic Will — The player's Heroic Will steels the caster's mind to resist the forces of Twilight. This pulls the caster out of the Twilight realm for up to 5 sec, but renders them unable to attack, cast spells, or move while concentrating.
- Fading Light — Ultraxion sucks the light out of his current target and one random player, drawing them into Twilight over 5-10 seconds. Upon expiration, players in the Twilight Realm instantly dies. Players in the normal realm forcibly enter the Twilight Realm, and are afflicted with Faded into Twilight. Ultraxion sucks the light out of: Raid Finder – Current target; 10-player Heroic – 2 random players; 25-player – 3 random players; 25-player Heroic: 3 random players.
- Hour of Twilight (Heroic mode) — The Hour of Twilight falls upon Ultraxion's foes. Enemies caught within the Twilight Realm take 300,000 (Raid Finder: 195,000) unresistable Shadow damage. Players within the normal realm forcibly enter the Twilight Realm. If Hour of Twilight does not hit a player, the Aspects take the full brunt of the attack. This disrupts the shield protecting the Aspects and heralds the end of all life on Azeroth. The Aspects take the full brunt of the attack if the Hour of Twilight hits fewer than: 10-player Heroic – 2 players; 25-player – 3 players; 25-player Heroic – 5 players. Aspects never take the full brunt in Raid Finder difficulty
- Looming Darkness — When struck by Hour of Twilight, powerful waves of Twilight energy course through the victim, rendering them more susceptible to the harmful effects of Hour of Twilight. Players instantly die if Hour of Twilight inflicts additional damage to them.
- Twilight Burst — If every player stands outside the range of his powerful claws, Ultraxion expels a powerful burst of Twilight energy. This burst inflicts 75,000 unresistable Twilight damage on all players and increasing their magical damage taken by 50% for 6 sec. This effect stacks. Raid Finder: 48,750
- Twilight Eruption — After 6 minutes have passed, Ultraxion's instability reaches uncontainable levels and erupts outwards as a massive explosion that destroys all nearby foes and Ultraxion himself. If the shield surrounding the Aspects should fall at any point during the encounter, Ultraxion will immediately trigger Twilight Eruption.
- Protection of the Aspects — The aspects provide limited aid to the players as they fight Ultraxion.
- Gift of Life — Alexstrasza creates a crystal of pure life energy. Activating the crystal imbues one healer with the essence of life itself, increasing healing done by 100% for the duration of the battle. The crystal has one charge. Only one buff granted by Alexstrasza, Ysera, or Kalecgos can be present on a player at any time.
- Essence of Dreams — Ysera creates a crystal of dream energy. Activating the crystal imbues one healer with the power of dreams, which causes all healing done to be duplicated and distributed evenly amongst all friendly targets within 50 yards for the remainder of the battle. The crystal has one charge. Only one buff granted by Alexstrasza, Ysera, or Kalecgos can be present on a player at any time.
- Source of Magic — Kalecgos creates a crystal of amplified arcane energy. Activating the crystal imbues one healer with the essence of magic, reducing the mana cost of all spells by 75% and increasing spell haste by 100% for the remainder of the battle. The crystal has one charge. Only one buff grated by Alexstrasza, Ysera, or Kalecgos can be present on a player at any time.
- Timeloop — Nozdormu captures all players within a finite timeloop. Any attack which would otherwise kill the player will instead bring them to 100% of maximum health and remove the Timeloop.
- Last Defender of Azeroth — Thrall, now the Earth-Warder of Azeroth, blesses all tanks with the immovable strength of the ancient stones of the world. Reduces defensive cooldowns by 50% and increases defensive ability durations by 100%.
Ultraxion is a DPS and healing race, requiring the group to handle a tank-swapping mechanic while doing high DPS to the boss and surviving constant AoE damage and the Hour of Twilight effect.
The fight takes place in the Twilight Realm, and players must be in the realm to do damage to Ultraxion. The Heroic Will ability, which appears on a big purple button in the center of the screen, allows players to escape the realm for several seconds. Using this ability properly is the key to surviving the fight.
All players need to be aware of the Hour of Twilight cast, which comes about once a minute (45 seconds on normal). One person (or three in 25-man) must remain in the twilight realm or the raid will instantly wipe; the other players must use their Heroic Will button to escape the twilight realm and avoid the damage.
Tanks must use damage reduction cooldowns to survive the Hour of Twilight - note the Last Defender of Azeroth buff which doubles the power and halves the cooldowns of these abilities. Tanks must also manage the Fading Light debuff. The current tank will receive the Fading Light debuff at some point; when he is about to die, the offtank must taunt Ultraxion and the current tank must use Heroic Will to survive Fading Light. After the Heroic Will ends, that tank will generate no threat for 5 seconds; he must then watch the offtank until the next Fading Light, and taunt to pick Ultraxion back up.
DPS must watch for the Hour of Twilight effect, and be ready to use Heroic Will to survive it. DPS players can maximize their damage by saving the Heroic Will for the end of the Hour of Twilight cast bar. DPS should stack near the front of Ultraxion for AoE heals. If DPS receives the Fading Light debuff, they must use Heroic Will when they have just a few seconds left before the Fading Light effect triggers.
Healers need to heal the AoE damage from Unstable Monstrosity, which is split among the entire raid. The cast rate for this AoE gets faster every minute the fight goes on, starting at once per six seconds and peaking at one tick per second for the last minute before the enrage at six minutes. Throughout the fight, Alexstrasza, Ysera, and Kalecgos will provide assistance in the form of buffs for the healers, Each of these buffs can only be given to one healer at a time, so decide wisely who should get them. Normally the red buff is best used on Holy Priests (Renew, Prayer of Healing, HW:Sanc) and Druids (Wild Growth, Rejuv, Lifebloom), the green buff for Holy Paladins (Divine Light) and Shamans (Greater Healing Wave), and the blue buff for Shamans (Chain Heal spam), Disc Priests (Prayer of Healing spam) and Paladins (Holy Radiance spam), though depending on the healers different combinations might work just as well.
|crystal||effect||preferred by these healers|
|red||+100% healing||holy priest ;
|green||AoE splash heal||paladin (Divine Light) ;|
|blue||-75% mana cost, +100% spell haste||shaman () ;|
Fading Light details
Periodically throughout the fight Ultraxion will cast Fading Light on the tank and one (for 10-man, three for 25-man) other player(s). Each affected player will get a debuff with a timer between 5 and 9 seconds. If the player is still in the twilight realm when the buff expires they die. To avoid this use Heroic Will to exit the twilight realm when the buff has around 3 seconds remaining. Since Heroic Will only lasts 5 seconds if you use it too early you will return to the twilight realm in time to be killed by Fading Light. If you do not use it at all you will be killed by Fading Light.
If you have lag you are somewhat doomed.
Heroic Mode and surviving Hour of Twilight
For difficulty levels other than LFR, a certain number of players must remain in the twilight realm during Hour of Twilight (and be exposed to massive damage) to avoid a wipe.
In 10-man normal the default tactic is to have the tanks take turns because Last Defender of Azeroth guarantees that every properly-specced tank has an appropriate 90-second survival cooldown. Optimizations are possible (such as a DK with eating all of the Hour of Twilight).
For 25-man or heroic this means that some non-tank players who can survive a 300,000 point hit must remain in the twilight realm and absorb the Hour of Twilight.
The major complicating factor in heroic mode is the Looming Darkness. A player who suffers Hour of Twilight during a heroic encounter is afflicted by Looming Darkness which lasts for 2 minutes. If a player with Looming Darkness suffers another Hour of Twilight they are instantly killed. This means that players in heroic mode can not absorb an Hour of Twilight more than once every 3 casts or they will die (which is still preferrable to wiping).
|Blood Death Knight||22.5 seconds
|Feral Combat Druid||90 seconds|
|Protection Paladin||+ 3/3||90 seconds
|Protection Warrior||+ 3/3||60 seconds|
|Brewmaster Monk||45 seconds
The following abilities can be used by non-tanks to survive Hour of Twilight casts.
|Feral Combat Druid||3 minutes|
|Shadow Priest||2 minutes|
|Rogue||+ 3/3||10 seconds
Keep in mind that especially in 25m raids, external single-target and raid cooldowns can also be used to keep players alive, especially non-tanks that are required to soak. Effective single-target cooldowns are , , and , while raid cooldowns that can allow players to survive include the T13 4-piece tank bonuses (Vampiric Brood and Shield Fortress), , , , and . Depending on your raid composition, multiple cooldowns may need to be stacked to ensure every player's survival.
DPS death knights with and , balance/restoration druids with , holy/ret paladins with , enhancement shamans with , and destruction warlocks with and are not necessarily able to eat an Hour of Twilight without assistance, but have excellent mitigation abilities and hence are excellent candidates for staying out with help from the above cooldowns.
The Heroic Will effect can be bound to the "Extra Action" keybinding. If you use an addon that changes your interface, this may prevent trouble with the button. An alternative to permanently assigning a key binding is to create a macro of
and load it onto your action bars for the fight.
- Main article: Lesser Cache of the Aspects
- Ysera says: I sense a great disturbance in the balance approaching. The chaos of it burns my mind!
- Ultraxion yells: I am the beginning of the end...the shadow which blots out the sun...the bell which tolls your doom...
- Ultraxion yells: For this moment ALONE was I made. Look upon your death, mortals, and despair!
- Now is the Hour of Twilight!
- Last Defender of Azeroth
- Thrall yells: Strength of the Earth, hear my call! Shield them in this dark hour, the last defenders of Azeroth!
- Hour of Twilight
- The final shred of light fades, and with it, your pitiful mortal existence!
- More Unstable
- Through the pain and fire my hatred burns!
- Gift of Life
- Alexstrasza yells: Take heart, heroes, life will always blossom from the darkest soil!
- Essence of Dreams
- Ysera yells: In dreams, we may overcome any obstacle.
- Source of Magic
- Kalecgos yells: Winds of the arcane be at their backs, and refresh them in this hour of darkness!
- Nozdormu yells: The cycle of time brings an end to all things.
- Killing a player
- Fall before Ultraxion!
- You have no hope!
- Casting Twilight Eruption
- I WILL DRAG YOU WITH ME INTO FLAME AND DARKNESS!
- Aspects Killed
- Alexstrasza says: They have failed us sister.
- Ysera says: I have awakened only to sleep once again.
- But...but...I am...Ul...trax...ionnnnnn...
- Alexstrasza says: It is done. Our power now resides within the Dragon Soul. Our fate lies with you, Earth Warder.
- Thrall says: Taretha...Cairne...Aggra...I will not fail you. I will not fail this world!
Patches and hotfixes
- Hotfix (2012-02-07): "The event leading to Ultraxion now requires 15 Drakes killed, down from 24."
- Hotfix (2011-12-23): "Fading Light should now always appear in raid frames when a player is affected by it."
- Hotfix (2011-12-02): "The minimum heal required to activate Essence of Dreams is now 1500, up from 500."
- Patch 4.3.0 (2011-11-29): Added.