Unstable Affliction is a level 10 Affliction warlock ability that places a damage over time debuff on the target. If the debuff is dispelled, the dispeller will be dealt substantial damage and silenced for 4 seconds.
- (honor talent) reduces the global cooldown by 0.5 sec.
- (honor talent) increases duration by 4 sec.
- (honor talent)
- Deals 10% less damage in PvP combat.
- The silence effect from this ability is subject to diminishing returns.
- Certain abilities that "remove" harmful effects rather than "dispelling" them, such as a rogue's or a mage's , can remove Unstable Affliction without triggering its secondary effects. The Felhunter's is considered a dispel effect, and so will trigger Unstable Affliction's effects.
Tips and tactics
- This is a great spell for warlocks in arena. With all the curses a warlock has, a priest will be forced to dispel, which results in the direct damage.
- In PvE, this spell is just another DoT. Most raid bosses do not dispel, and therefore the damage and silence of effects of dispelling this spell are wasted.
- In PvP, it can help prevent your DoTs from being dispelled safely, as its secondary effects can cause significant damage to the dispeller.
Patches and hotfixes
- Hotfix (2016-09-23): "Unstable Affliction damage increased by 15%."
- Hotfix (2016-08-11): "When Unstable Affliction is dispelled, it now deals 120% of the remaining spell damage (was 200%)."
- Patch 7.0.3 (2016-07-19): Damage per tick increased by 138%, duration reduced to 8 seconds (down from 14). Damage when dispelled is now affected by remaining duration. Now cost a Soul Shard instead of mana.
- Patch 6.2.2 (2015-09-01): Now deals 10% less damage in PvP combat.
- Patch 6.2.0 (2015-06-23): Now deals 12% more damage.
- Hotfix (2014-12-15): "Unstable Affliction's damage has been increased by 20%."
- Patch 5.4.0 (2013-09-10): Damage has been increased by 21%.
- Patch 5.2.0 (2013-03-05): Unstable Affliction's Backlash effect is now always a critical hit and deals approximately 15% more damage.
- Patch 5.0.4 (2012-08-28): Now an Affliction specialization ability available at level 10. Duration reduced from 15 to 14 sec. No longer limited to one target.
- Patch 4.1.0 (2011-04-26): Damage done when it is dispelled has been doubled, but this damage can no longer be critical. Damage dealt by Unstable Affliction when it is dispelled now properly benefits from .
- Patch 4.0.6 (2011-02-08): Silence effect has been reduced to 4 seconds, down from 5.
- Patch 4.0.1 (2010-10-12): Now a primary spell in the Affliction tree.
- Patch 3.3.0 (2009-12-08): The feedback damage from when this spell is dispelled is now affected by resilience as intended. Tooltip clarified to state that this spell is exclusive with Immolate.
- Patch 3.2.0 (2009-08-04): and Unstable Affliction: All ranks of these two spells will now overwrite each other.
- Patch 3.1.0 (2009-04-14): Feedback damage from dispelling this debuff will no longer be modified by effects on the victim which modify the damage the victim does.
- Patch 3.0.8 (2009-01-20): Will now gain the correct damage modifiers for the creature type of the target.
- Patch 3.0.2 (2008-10-14): Silence effect reduced to 3 seconds, down from 5.
- Patch 2.3.0 (2007-11-13): The silence from this ability is now subject to diminishing returns.
- Patch 2.2.0 (2007-09-25): This spell will no longer fail when a Warlock deselects their target midway through the cast.
- Patch 2.0.3 (2007-01-09): The feedback from dispelling Unstable Affliction is now affected by .
- Patch 2.0.1 (2006-12-05): Added.