- Not to be confused with Valeera.
|Title||Champion of the Crimson Ring,
|Race||Blood elf (Humanoid)|
|Character class||Rogue, Gladiator (formerly)|
|Affiliation(s)||The Uncrowned, New Council of Tirisfal, Varian Wrynn, Anduin Wrynn|
|Former affiliation(s)||Crimson Ring, Quel'Thalas (ostensibly)|
|Occupation||Champion and Shadow of the Uncrowned,
Enforcer of New Council of Tirisfal,; formerly Advisor to Varian Wrynn, Rehgar Earthfury's gladiator slave and Champion of the Crimson Ring
|Relative(s)||Relfthra (distant ancestor),
|Companion(s)||Varian Wrynn, Broll Bearmantle|
Valeera Sanguinar, along with Broll Bearmantle, was a companion of Varian Wrynn. She eventually became an enforcer for the New Council of Tirisfal, and accepted the position of an advisor and bodyguard to Varian in Stormwind, with the caveat that she retain her independence.
She culturally identifies as a blood elf, taking pride in her people's traditions and defending their tribulations and loyalties. However, she herself acts independently of the Thalassian government, and has formally joined neither the Horde nor the Alliance since her introduction but is fiercely loyal to Varian and his son.
Valeera herself maintains that her loyalties are personal, to her friends and her ideals.
- 1 Biography
- 2 Location
- 3 Quests
- 4 Quotes
- 5 Trivia
- 6 Speculations
- 7 Gallery
- 8 Videos
- 9 References
- 10 See also
- 11 External links
World of Warcraft: The Comic
When Valeera was young, her family was killed by bandits. She survived both the bandits and the Scourge, eking out a living by stealing what she needed. One time, she has stolen a scroll, only to find it contained information on her own family: her ancestor Relfthra was a high elf mage and member of the secret Order of Tirisfal. However, one day when trying to steal a shaman's talisman, she was caught and jailed. Showing her fighting prowess by injuring several of the guards in the process, it's possible that is how she attracted the attention of the Arena promoter. The day before she was to implement her escape plan, Valeera was sold to Rehgar Earthfury so she could join Bloodeye Redfist and Broll Bearmantle in team combat in the Crimson Ring. Soon after, Bloodeye was killed and Broll told Valeera the stories of both Rehgar and Bloodeye.
After Bloodeye's funeral pyre, Valeera and Broll were being transported in a caged wagon to Orgrimmar to be trained as gladiators. On their way, they were joined by a human who had washed up on the seashore with no memory. When they reached Orgrimmar, they were caged once again; with the human who did nothing but brood while the two elves argued.
That evening in the cages, Broll offered the human a meditation remedy, and the man had a brief flash of memory. The meditation was interrupted by Valeera, which nearly sparked her and Broll coming to blows. Valeera, Broll, and the amnesiac human trained in the ways of the gladiator in the Ring of Valor and learned to look out for one another since rival gladiators would test their mettle against the novice team in fights to the death while their trainers would gamble on the outcomes. Eventually the three traveled to Dire Maul in Feralas where the gladiatorial contests took place. After many bloody battles, they emerged the victors of the Crimson Ring tournament. Impressed by Varian's skill at arms, the crowd gave him the orcish moniker Lo'Gosh; which means "Ghost Wolf".
After winning the Dire Maul gladiatorial contests, Rehgar sold Valeera to Helka Grimtotem, a gladiator mistress, for 2000 gold. Helka wanted Valeera to lead an all-female gladiator team consisting of an orc and a troll. However soon after they set out for an exhibition game on the Merchant Coast, Valeera escaped with the wyvern Bristlefur. Valeera then went searching for Broll Bearmantle and Lo'Gosh who have escaped from Rehgar Earthfury. As she followed them she discovered that an assassin was also trailing them. She eventually caught up with the assassin and, after catching him off guard, killed him (with the help of some local beasts). Worn out from the fight, she was rescued by Aegwynn who saw great things in her.
Aegwynn reunited her with Broll and Lo'Gosh who is revealed to be the lost king of Stormwind, Varian Wrynn. All three were determined to stay together and set out to leave for Stormwind City to return Varian to his rightful throne. During the trip across the Great Sea, Valeera helped Varian and Broll defend the ship against attacking naga, but during the fight she absorbed the arcane energies of a Naga sea witch's trident; this act was what started her addiction to mana.
After she arrived at Menethil Harbor, she along with Varian, Broll, and a dwarf called Thargas Anvilmar, started their journey towards Ironforge. On their way they were stopped by Vendellin Soulfire, a blood elf warlock sent to assassinate Varian. He placed the mark of Kathra'Natir upon Valeera and by doing so caused the demon Kathra'Natir to possess her.
Because she was inflicted with the fel energies of a demon, her addiction was exacerbated. During Valeera's lapses of self control, the demon would occasionally gain influence and take control of her body. When the group got to Ironforge, Lo'Gosh and Magni started to converse and they were secretly being followed by a bearded man. Valeera sensed arcane energy being manipulated and witnessed the man creating a dagger with the intent to kill Lo'Gosh. Valeera quickly subdued the man, but he transformed into a black dragon and fled. She was left behind in Ironforge to adjust from her withdrawal from magic while the rest of her companions embarked on a mission to rescue Marshal Windsor. Secluded in her room, the demon tried to take control of her body by feeding her feelings of abandonment, using visions of her deceased parents to verbally abuse her. But she regained control of her senses when a vision of Aegwynn told her she was not alone and that she had people like Broll and Varian who loved her. She later rendezvoused with Varian and Broll after their mission, informing them that she's better and in control of herself again.
When the group got to Stormwind City, she helped reveal Onyxia's treachery and traveled with King Varian back across the sea to finally kill Onyxia. After the death of Onyxia, Varian offered both Broll and Valeera a permanent place in Stormwind, in which they could act as Varian's bodyguards and advisers. Valeera and Anduin convinced Varian that he should create peace between the Horde and the Alliance, but when the peace summit was about to happen, Broll was summoned to Darnassus what saddened Valeera. Aegwynn cheered her up telling her that she has talents but also burdens and responsibilities. During the summit, Theramore was attacked by the Twilight's Hammer cult. Although the Twilight Hammer's attack was repelled; the peace summit was ruined and both the Horde and Alliance were left in distrust of one another.
When the Scourge attacked Stormwind, Valeera stayed in Theramore and made a deal with Garona to rescue her son Med'an in exchange for her cooperation in revealing the identities of her masters. She later partnered with Meryl Winterstorm and traveled with him to Ahn'Qiraj to save Med'an. They found Med'an, hanging on the dead body of the old god C'thun and rescued him. But before they could get away from the ruins of Ahn'Qiraj, they were intercepted by Cho'gall who fell Meryl with one strike. Valeera absorbed some magic from Meryl and Med'an in order to grow strong enough to fend off Cho'gall, giving Med'an who just regained consciousness enough time to heal Meryl. Cho'gall was still too powerful to defeat and becoming desperate to stay alive, Valeera offered herself willingly to the demon inside her in order to use the demon's power to fend off Cho'gall. When Meryl regained consciousness, he teleported them all away from Cho'gall. When they reached a secure location, Valeera who was possessed by Kathra'Natir, lusted over Med'an's power and tried to possess him but Med'an was able to reject Kathra'Natir's advances. Meryl who along with the Council of Tirisfal, had banished the demon Kathra'Natir thousands of years ago. In order to lure the demon away from Valeera's body, Meryl challenged the demon to possess his powerful magical body instead since he was unable to possess Med'an. As the demon tried to possess him, Meryl proved himself the stronger of the two wills and repressed the demon within his body. Meryl then asked Med'an and Valeera to never tell anyone about what happened between him and the demon.
She later aided the New Council of Tirisfal with recruiting new members, defending Theramore and aiding Med'an and Garona in battling Cho'gall. She was last seen at the funeral of Aegwynn. She returned to Stormwind City and remained there until around the time of the Lich King's death.
Valeera in Stormwind.
Valeera afflicted by the Mark of Kathra'Natir.
Valeera controlled by Kathra'Natir.
Wrath of the Lich King
This section concerns content exclusive to Wrath of the Lich King.
In the pre-launch World Event, at Stormwind Harbor, Valeera appeared underneath a statue complaining about the hospitality of the Alliance and urging the Alliance and Horde to remain focused on the threat of the Lich King.
- I heard the Horde is amassing its own army to head to Northrend. HOPEFULLY your Alliance and the Horde can focus on the real threat. You know, instead of each other?
- Somehow I think that's unlikely to happen, if my experience here is any indication. Your people have been SO welcoming to me.
- <Valeera mutters angrily to herself.>
It is implied by Broll Bearmantle during the War against the Nightmare that her recent use of fel magic in her fight against Cho'gall may lead to a resurgence of her magical addiction. When Broll visited Stormwind, he asked Varian about Valeera. Varian responded that the young blood elf left Stormwind a few weeks ago and no one knows where she is.
This section concerns content exclusive to Legion.
When the Uncrowned begins looking into the suspicious activities of SI:7 and Mathias Shaw, Valeera works on deciphering an encrypted letter that had been clutched in the hands of the dead Amber Kearnen and asks that the rest of the Uncrowned work to throw SI:7 off her trail. Eventually, Valeera discovers the location of the Raven's Eye, a gem created by Havi long ago for his pet ravens Huginn and Muninn and then taken by Kur'talos Ravencrest. With the Raven's Eye, she could decipher the message that Amber Kearnen had held. A fellow Shadow of the Uncrowned retrieves it for her from Black Rook Hold. After deciphering Kearnen's message, Valeera and the Uncrowned learn that Shaw has been replaced by the dreadlord Detheroc.
|Location||Level range||Health range|
|Battle for the Undercity||??||801,300|
|Hall of Shadows||99 - 110||5,047,846|
This section concerns content exclusive to Legion.
- Needs to be spoken to in .
- Quest:Ancient Vrykul Legends
- Quest:Blood for the Wolfe
- Quest:Deciphering the Letter
- Quest:In Search of the Eye
- Quest:Eternal Unrest
- Quest:Into Black Rook Hold
- Quest:Off to Court
- Quest:The Raven's Eye
- Quest:Throwing SI:7 Off the Trail
World of Warcraft: Comic
- "As a babe, I drank in magic with my mother's milk. I didn't ask to be dependent on it. And it helped me to survive! What right does Broll have to blame me for the choices of my people or the circumstance of my birth?
- "And yet...I can hear little else over the demon's cries and promises! Can it truly stop the ogre? Do I dare let it try? I'm no Warlock! Once it's loosed, I can't hope to control it! Broll would say better to die than free it."
- "I'm not! Well, okay... I am young for an elf, but our kind age differently than you humans do." (Clearing Lo'gosh's confusion)
- "I am neither Horde nor Alliance. What has either faction ever done for me?"
- "My loyalties are personal-- To King Varian and to his son!"
- "We can be trusted Broll. To fight as we choose with all our powers with mind and body. To know our friends from our enemies. And to avenge all slights against us. You can place your trust in that!"
- "Nothing is worse than betraying those you love!"
- "I take my anger out on our enemies! Unlike …"
- "My whole race was nearly exterminated by the Scourge. Those who survived and fought in partnership with the Alliance were betrayed. Was it so wrong, then, to ally with Illidan and the naga... to save the few who remained?"
World of Warcraft
This section concerns content exclusive to Legion.
- My loyalties are my own.
- The pleasure is mine.
- I wouldn't cross me if I were you.
- Let's talk.
- Do you prefer your entrails cut julienne, or brun mars?
- I will be your death!
- You seriously do NOT want to cross me!
- They'll never see me coming.
- Without a trace.
- Al diel shala.
- Her name is derived from the Latin word sanguis, meaning "blood".
- Valeera Sanguinar is a blood elf rogue featured in DC Unlimited's World of Warcraft: Series 1 action figure set.
- Valeera appears in World of Warcraft: The Comic. Described as being "young, hot and bitter", she has come to realise that the world has become a very different place since the destruction of Quel'Thalas.
- It was said early on that she would be physically attracted to the main human protagonist of the series. This idea has not been visited in the comic and Varian even refers to her as a child several times.
- She is the Hero (player character) for the Rogue class in Hearthstone: Heroes of Warcraft. Her flavor text reads: "Expert assassin. Deadly gladiator. Best knife skills in her cooking class, according to survivors."
- Three of Valeera's night elf ancestors are buried in Black Rook Hold's cemetery: Cesta Stargazer, Mandrel Nightsbane, and T'rel Moonblade.
- Valeera is voiced by Tara Platt.
Status with Quel'Thalas
Valeera's current standing with her homeland is unclear. She proudly identifies herself as a sin'dorei, and has defended her people's courses of action (including the alliance with Illidan and the naga, the use of alternative methods to deal with arcane addiction, joining the Horde after Garithos's bigotry, etc.) multiple times throughout the comic series. She was born and raised in Quel'Thalas, and her parents—whose visages are seen briefly in book two of the comic—appear to have been of a fair social standing, garbed in exquisite Thalassian clothing. When not in her armor, Valeera specifically chooses to wear red clothing, a color highly favored by the blood elves.
Valeera survived the Scourge invasion and was evidently present in Quel'Thalas throughout its reconstruction and the spreading of Illidan's teachings, where she acquired her emerald eyes. She seems to have eked out her life independently as a pickpocket some time after this, before being thrown into Orgrimmar's prison cell for a failed attempt at stealing an orc's talisman in Kalimdor.
Valeera Sanguinar from the WoW TCG.
Valeera at Stormwind Harbor.
Valeera fighting a draenei (possibly Maraad).
The Valeera Sanguinar action figure.
Valeera Sanguinar from the Hearthstone: Heroes of Warcraft Alpha.
Uncropped artwork of Valeera from Hearthstone: Heroes of Warcraft.
Valeera standing behind the Cathedral of Light.
- ^ a b The Comic Volume 4
- ^ a b The Characters of Warcraft/Valeera Sanguinar
- ^ a b c World of Warcraft: The Comic, Volume 1: Stranger in a Strange Land
- ^ Beginnings and Ends
- ^ Stormrage, chapter 4
- ^ Stormrage, chapter 21
- ^ Quest:Throwing SI:7 Off the Trail
- ^ Quest:The Raven's Eye
- ^ Quest:Into Black Rook Hold
- ^ Quest:Deciphering the Letter
- ^ World of Warcraft Trading Card Game: Blood of Gladiators. Blizzard Entertainment. 150.
- ^ http://www.blizzplanet.com/content/730/
- ^ Quest:Eternal Unrest