Water Shield is a Nature-based Restoration shaman buff, learned at level 20. The spell improves mana regeneration, and when taking damage, it restores mana to the caster. Water Shield can only proc every few seconds.
The cooldown before another orb will trigger is roughly three seconds. The mana regeneration provided functions like MP5, thus is not affected by the five second rule. This regeneration stacks with all other mana-regeneration effects, both from gear and abilities.
Tips and tactics
Since cost no mana and provides a passive bonus, Water Shield should be up whenever you aren't using Earth Shield on yourself. It is a good practice for Restoration shamans to make sure Water Shield is always active.
- Patch 6.0.2 (2014-10-14):
- Now available only to Restoration shaman, and replaces Lightning Shield.
- Now only triggers from melee attacks.
- Mana costs for Restoration shaman have been adjusted to compensate.
- Now persists through death.
- Patch 5.0.4 (2012-08-28): No longer has charges and lasts for 1 hour, up from 10 minutes.
- Patch 3.0.2 (2008-10-14): Ranks 1-6 added, making the spell trainable at level 20. The spell was previously not available until level 62.
- Patch 2.3.2 (2008-01-08): Duration back to 10 minutes. No longer grants mana when expiring. Now provides passive mana regeneration instead.
- Patch 2.3.0 (2007-11-13): Mana cost removed. Mana gained per orb doubled. Duration reduced from 10 minutes to 1 minute. At the end of the duration, mana is gained for each remaining globe.
- Patch 2.1.0 (2007-05-22): When a Shaman with this spell active is afflicted with , the charge burned will now grant mana.
- Patch 2.0.1 (2006-12-05): Added as a new ability for The Burning Crusade.