|This article is flagged for a fact check!|
The term planet (sometimes referred to as world) is a geographical category. Planets exist in the Great Dark Beyond, which is apparently the term for what we would call "outer space".
Worlds contain continents.
The term "world" generally refers to Azeroth itself, other worlds are generally referred to by their names in context to Azeroth.
- Argus, the homeworld of the eredar race of magic-wielders and their exiled brethren called the draenei.
- Azeroth, the world where most of the action of the Warcraft universe is set.
- Draenor (Outland) was the homeworld of the orcs, ogres, and other species, and a sanctuary of the draenei. It was destroyed in a cataclysm. The remains of Draenor have become the extradimensional realm of Outland.
- Fanlin'Deskor, a world annihilated by the Burning Legion.
- K'aresh, the original homeworld of the ethereals before they evacuated to wander the Twisting Nether.
- Xandros, a world destroyed by the Burning Legion, inhabited by Mongrethod.
- Xerrath, destroyed by the Legion as a show of power during the enslavement of Xoroth.
- Xoroth, the homeworld of the dreadsteeds
- Hara'samid Sector, Gezhe mentions this while speaking to a Consortium Nether Runner.
- Xarodi sector, Gezhe mentions this while speaking to a Consortium Nether Runner.
- The Nathrezim homeworld that is mentioned by Mal'Ganis. There is also an artifact collected from the planet.
- An unknown world depicted in the Halls of Lightning, with two green / white continents; one in its southern hemisphere and another in its northern hemisphere and a third purely white continent / ice cap that centers around the world's equator. It is mostly covered in water.
- Several other seemingly gaseous planets seen in the skies of Outland and that are depicted in the Halls of Lightning and Ulduar.
- Many worlds that were judged and observed by Algalon the Observer during his mission from the titans.
- Countless other unnamed worlds have been visited by the titans, the naaru, and taken over or obliterated by the Burning Legion.
- The draenei passed dozens of worlds and mapped much of the cosmos after they left Argus.
- After the Dark Portal was destroyed, Draenor began tearing itself apart. Turalyon led the forces of the Alliance Expedition that were with him through a portal to yet another world, one they could barely make sense of. After the set of cataclysmic events that changed Draenor into Outland were over, Turalyon, Alleria, Khadgar, Danath and the other Alliance troops all returned to Draenor, now called Outland.
- At least seven planets are set to feature in future patches and/or expansions for World of Warcraft, courtesy of Outland's Dimensional Gateways.
There is evidence that Azeroth and Draenor may have been in the same star system, as Azeroth can be seen from the courtyard of the Black Temple. However, this may be due to a portal. Or merely due to Outland floating within the Twisting Nether, which allows far away worlds to be visible in the sky.
In the World of Warcraft The Burning Crusade Official Strategy Guide, Azeroth is said to be the "closest habitable world" to Draenor by dimensional travel.
Travel between worlds
The only known means of traveling between worlds is through the use of magic, advanced technology, or through the Twisting Nether. These include:
- Dimensional Gateways, such as the Dark Portal.
- Dimensional Ships, such as Tempest Keep.
- Well of Eternity (and by extension, the Sunwell).
- Other portals fueled by various forms of magic.
- ^ Metzen, Chris; Bob Fitch, Luke Johnson, Seth Johnson, Mur Lafferty, James Maliszewski. Alliance & Horde Compendium, 19. ISBN 9781588460639.
- ^ Medievaldragon 2009-02-09. Chris Metzen & Micky Neilson Pocket Star Books Lore Q&A Video Interview. Retrieved on 2009-02-17.
- ^ Grubb, Jeff. The Last Guardian, 144. ISBN 978-0-6710-4151-9.
- ^ Burning Crusade Town Hall - Outland. Archived from the original on 2007-09-25. “...huge chunks of Draenor still existed - floating upon the astral winds of the Twisting Nether.”
- ^ Loreology on Twitter (2014-07-24)