- For API events that can be handled by the UI or addons, see Events.
Events in Azeroth (also known as World Events, Seasonal Events or Holidays when appropriate) run the gamut from small yet ferocious free-for-all skirmishes for loot, to world-wide friendly celebrations, to ongoing military campaigns. An event of this kind is defined, with one exception, by being only available in the game at certain times and not others, ranging from several times a day, to annually, to one-time historical happenings never to be seen again. Below are some of the events, which are fun if you ever get around to them.
Types of environment changes accompanying events include:
- caravans, tents, or wagons being added to an area,
- decorations on buildings,
- new fixed devices,
- new mobs, quest givers, vendors, or other NPCs,
- special drink and food,
- holiday-specific quests and quest rewards, and
- holiday-themed recipes.
Over the course of Azeroth's troubled history, the times of celebration have fallen under the shadow of the conflicts that have shaped and scarred the world. Every day, as new challenges surface, new champions answer the call to arms, relishing the glory and the rewards of battles well fought. Below are details of some of the current disturbances warranting investigation - and participation - by the world's most adventurous heroes.
- Argent Tournament - Permanent, at the Argent Tournament grounds in northern Icecrown.
- Despite being available at all times, Tournament achievements are listed under "World Events". It's possible this may once have been intended to be a one-time event leading up to the assault on the . The fact that "construction was completed" between its release and the next patch may also explain its event classification.
- Gurubashi Arena Booty Run - Every 3 hours, at the arena in Stranglethorn Vale.
- Stranglethorn Fishing Extravaganza - Sundays from 2-4pm, in Stranglethorn Vale.
- Darkmoon Faire - First week of each month, in Mulgore and Elwynn Forest, and primarily on Darkmoon Island.
- Wanderer's Festival - Sundays from 9-11pm in Krasarang Wilds
To help offset the strain and tension of constant warfare, the leaders of the Horde and the Alliance occasionally organize full-blown festivities for their people, centered around holidays and special events. What better way to celebrate the year's victories and other achievements than in the company of a few thousand of your closest allies?
|Azeroth Event||Time Period||Related Earth Event||Additional Info|
|New Year||31st Dec - 1st Jan||New Year's Eve||Gregorian calendar|
|Lunar Festival||Varies (Spring)||Lunar New Year||Chinese calendar|
|Love is in the Air||7th Feb - 20th Feb||Valentine's Day|
|Children's Week||1st May - 7th May||Children's Day - Japan
Mother's Day - US (and in most other countries, including: Belgium and the Netherlands)
|Midsummer Fire Festival||21st June - 5th July||Midsummer
Canada Day - CAN
Independence Day - US
|US observed! Fire in the Sky Engineers' Explosive Extravaganza|
|Pirates' Day||19th Sept||International Talk Like a Pirate Day||First observed Sept 19th, 2008.|
|Peon Day||30th Sept||EU Closed Beta began: September 30, 2004||Observed only in Europe|
|Brewfest||20th Sept - 4th Oct||Oktoberfest - Germany|
|Harvest Festival||27th Sept - 4th Oct||Roughly Thanksgiving - Canada, US (actually celebrated in October and November in Canada and US, respectively)
Columbus Day - US
US Stress Test ended: September 12, 2004
|Hallow's End||18th Oct - 1st Nov||Halloween|
|Day of the Dead||1st Nov - 2nd Nov||Day of the Dead|
|Pilgrim's Bounty||22nd Nov - 28th Nov||Thanksgiving|
|Feast of Winter Veil||15th Dec - 2nd Jan||Christmas|
First introduced in Patch 7.1.5, these new "micro-holiday" events will offer brief holiday-style activities for the adventurers to take part in. Unlike the larger holidays like Hallow's End, which run for weeks, these events will only last a day or two to celebrate specific moments in history. These micro-holidays are only meant for fun and will not offer any significant rewards like permanent pets or mounts.
|Azeroth Event||Date||Known reason for celebration|
|Call of the Scarab||January 21 - 23||To celebrate the opening of the Gates of Ahn'Qiraj.|
|Hatching of the Hippogryphs||February 19|
|Un'Goro Madness||March 17 - 19|
|March of the Tadpoles||April 5|
|Volunteer Guard Day||April 23|
|Spring Balloon Festival||May 8 - 10|
|Glowcap Festival||May 27|
|Thousand Boat Bash||June 6 - 8|
|Wrath of the Lich King Launch||November 13||Celebrates the launch of the Wrath of the Lich King expansion.|
|Kirin Tor Tavern Crawl||December 7|
A number of one-time-only World Events have occurred throughout the game's history. Most of these events have either directly resulted in changes to the game world or were pre-cursors to expansion packs. They are distinguished from removed content by the fact that they were planned to last only a short time after release (at most one major patch) rather than being removed due to either considerations for new content or gameplay concerns, updates, and other fixes. Note that simply being introduced and removed quickly (e.g. a quest added in patch 3.3.5 and removed for The Shattering) does not qualify something as a One-Time Event or part of one - it must be related to a unique period or occasion.
- Legion Invasion — Taking place with Patch 7.0.3, this world event preceded the release of Legion. The event featured the invasion of Kalimdor and the Eastern Kingdoms by forces of the Burning Legion. It was also the first pre-launch event in which characters as low as level 10 could participate in defending affected zones, thanks to new tech allowing mob level to scale to the player's.
- World of Warcraft 10th Anniversary — Tarren Mill vs Southshore and Level 100 Molten Core.
- Iron Horde Incursion — Taking place with Patch 6.0.2, this unique world event preceded the release of Warlords of Draenor. The event featured orcs coming through the Dark Portal, ravaging the Blasted Lands and taking over Blackrock Mountain. An extensive quest line saw players battling the Iron Horde invaders in a phased, level-90 only version of the Blasted Lands.
- Battlefield: Barrens — Taking place in Patch 5.3.0, this event transformed the Northern Barrens, introducing hundreds of new NPCs, new areas and a number of dynamic events, along with a range of rewards for participation. Focusing on the building conflict between and his loyal Kor'kron and the rebelling forces of 's Darkspear Rebellion, adventurers from both the Horde and the Alliance were able to assist the rebels in their preparations for the coming war against the warchief. Players secured supplies for the rebellion by defeating Kor'kron units and their powerful commanders, escorting their faction's supply caravans through the zone and even stealing supplies from overturned Kor'kron caravans.
- Elemental Unrest — Beginning on 11 November 2010, this event is the precursor to the devastating events of the Cataclysm expansion.
- Operation: Gnomeregan and Zalazane's Fall — Beginning on 7 September 2010, these world events were the first precursors to the Cataclysm expansion and allowed Alliance and Horde players to assist in the retaking of Gnomeregan's surface and the Echo Isles respectively.
- Zombie Infestation — Introduced in Patch 3.0.2, this world event was a precursor to the Wrath of the Lich King expansion and featured plagued crates that would transform players into zombies with the ability to pass the zombie plague onto others. It was followed by a reprise of the Scourge Invasion world event from Patch 1.11.0.
- The Spirit of Competition — This event occurred simultaneously with the 2008 Summer Olympics in Beijing, and simply rewarded players for completing battlegrounds during the event.
- Battle for Sun's Reach — Introduced in Patch 2.4.0, this world event occurs once per server and requires the completion of a number of daily quests on the Isle of Quel'Danas in order to allow the Shattered Sun Offensive to take over and rebuild the town of Sun's Reach.
- The Dark Portal Opens — Introduced in Patch 2.0.1, this world event was a precursor to the Burning Crusade expansion and featured the forces of the Horde, Alliance, and Argent Dawn fighting back against the demonic legions entering Azeroth through the Dark Portal.
- The Scourge Invasion — Originally introduced in Patch 1.11.0, this world event involved an invasion of Scourge forces across the world to coincide with the release of the Naxxramas raid instance. During the invasion, several regions of Azeroth came under attack by Scourge forces. Members of the Argent Dawn organized a worldwide counter to the Scourge invasion, keeping an eye out for any necropolis sightings and passing on their information to all adventurers willing to aid them in their struggle.
- Gates of Ahn'Qiraj — Introduced in Patch 1.9.0, this two-part world event occurred once per server (until Patch 3.2.0) resulted in the opening of Ahn'Qiraj. It was comprised of a quest chain completed by a single player to obtain the Scepter of the Shifting Sands to open the gates themselves, as well as a server-wide war effort to gather materials for the Horde and Alliance to battle the insectoid menace that issued forth from the opened gates.
|Feast of Winter Veil|
|one randomly from
quest reward for
commonly sold on AH
|Midsummer Fire Festival|
1 also mailed to Alliance players able to learn it
2 also mailed to Horde players able to learn it
Seasonal world events by patch number
|Azeroth Event||Patch Introduced||Patch Date|
|Feast of Winter Veil||1.2.0||18 December 2004|
|Noblegarden||1.3.0||7 March 2005||X|
|Children's Week||1.4.0||5 May 2005|
|Darkmoon Faire||1.6.0||2 July 2005|
|Harvest Festival||1.6.0||2 July 2005||X|
|Hallow's End||1.8.0||10 October 2005|
|Lunar Festival||1.9.0||3 January 2006||X|
|Love is in the Air||1.9.3||7 February 2006|
|Midsummer Fire Festival||1.11.0||20 June 2006|
|Peon Day||1.12.1||22 August 2006||X|
|New Year||2.0.1||5 December 2006||X|
|Brewfest||2.2.2||2 October 2007|
|Pirate's Day||2.4.3||15 July 2008||X|
|Pilgrim's Bounty||3.2.0||4 August 2009|
|Day of the Dead||3.2.0||4 August 2009||X|
The patch for the events marked with a X is speculation, based on the last patch to go live before the event was seen on servers.
- ^ http://www.wow-europe.com/en/info/basics/events/calendar.html
- ^ chaud 2014-05-04. Warlords of Draenor - Developer Interviews, Blue Tweets, DLC #438. MMO-Champion.
- Events info: