→ WoW API
Sends a message to the hidden addon channel. Unlike C_ChatInfo.SendAddonMessage the messages sent are logged server side and should be plain text, as they are meant to be readable by game masters.
success = C_ChatInfo.SendAddonMessageLogged("prefix", "message" [, "chatType", "target"])
- string - Message prefix, can be used as your addon identifier; at most 15 characters.
- string - Text to send, at most 250 characters. This has to be plain text for the game masters to read
- string (optional) - AddOn channel to send to. Valid types are "PARTY", "RAID", "GUILD", "BATTLEGROUND", "WHISPER", and "CHANNEL". Defaults to "PARTY".
- string (optional) - Used only for "WHISPER" and "CHANNEL" communications - the player to whisper to for "WHISPER" or the channel name to broadcast to for "CHANNEL".
- boolean - Whether the message was succesfully sent.
- The event fired when receiving messages sent via this function is "CHAT_MSG_ADDON_LOGGED"
- This function has been introduced as a solution to growing issues of harassment and doxxing via addon communications, where players would use addons to send content against the terms of service to other players (roleplaying addons are particularly affected as they offer a free form canvas to share a RP profiles). As regular addon messages are not logged they cannot be seen by game master, they had no way to act upon this content. If you use this function, game masters will be able to check the addon communication logs in case of a report and act upon the content.
- Users should report addon content that is against the terms of service using Blizzard's support website via the Harassment in addon text option
- Some amount of metadata is tolerated, but should be kept as minimal as possible to keep the messages readable for Blizzard's game masters. ("ideally you'd only send displayable text over the logged channel, i know that you'll need to send some metadata along with it, but the less noise the better for everyone. the volume of data is less important, as long as its useful", TheDanW on the #wowuidev IRC chat)
- The messages will silently fail to be sent if it contains an unsupported non-printable character.
- Patch 8.0.1 (2018-07-17): Added.