Play one of a set of built-in sounds. Other players will not hear the sound.
willPlay, soundHandle = PlaySound(soundKitID [, channel, forceNoDuplicates, runFinishCallback])
- number - All sounds used by Blizzard's UI are defined in the SOUNDKIT table.
Dialog. Individual channels (except "Master") have user-configurable volume settings and may be muted, preventing playback. Defaults to
SFX(Sound) if not specified.
- The sound volume slider setting the sound should use, one of:
- - Allow duplicate sounds if false. Defaults to true.
- SOUNDKIT_FINISHED when sound is done, arg1 will be soundHandle given below. Defaults to false. - Fires
- boolean - true if the sound will be played, nil otherwise (prevented by a muted sound channel, for instance).
- number - identifier for the queued playback.
Plays the ready check sound file (sound/interface/levelup2.ogg)
PlaySound(SOUNDKIT.READY_CHECK) -- by SOUNDKIT key PlaySound(8960) -- by SoundKitID
PlaySoundFile(567478) -- by FileDataID
Finding Sound IDs
File Data IDs
- By file name/path, e.g. Spells/LevelUp,type:ogg in wow.tools
- By SoundKitID, e.g. skit:888 in wow.tools
- By sound kit name with https://wow.tools/files/sounds.php
Sound Kit Names/IDs
- From the sounds tab for an NPC, for example https://www.wowhead.com/npc=154304/waveblade-shaman#sounds
- By sound kit name with https://www.wowhead.com/sounds and SoundKitName.db2
- IDs used by the FrameXML are defined in the SOUNDKIT table
- The full list of IDs can be found in SoundKitEntry.db2
- Patch 7.3.0 (2017-08-29): Changed. String-based input is not allowed. SoundKitID should be given while calling PlaySound(). This change is more like a replacement for PlaySoundKitID.
- Patch 7.0.3 (2016-07-19): Added fourth argument,
- Patch 5.0.4 (2012-08-28): Added
- Patch 1.1.0 (2004-11-07): Added.