Hello there! We are conducting a survey to better understand the user experience in making a first edit. If you have ever made an edit on Gamepedia, please fill out the survey. Thank you!
Plays the specified audio file once.
willPlay, soundHandle = PlaySoundFile("soundFile" or soundFileID [, "channel"])
- string - The path and name of the sound file you'd like to play, relative to the WoW directory;
- Must be a path to a soundfile in an addon. The file must exist prior to logging in to WoW.
- Both .ogg and .mp3 formats are accepted.
- or soundFileID
- number - FileDataID of the sound.
- string (optional) - The sound volume slider setting the sound should use, one of:
Dialog. Individual channels (except "Master") have user-configurable volume settings and may be muted, preventing playback. Defaults to
SFX(Sound) if not specified.
- boolean - true if the sound will be played, nil otherwise (prevented by a muted sound channel, for instance).
- number - identifier for the queued playback.
Plays a sound file included with your addon and ignores any sound setting except the master volume slider:
- Both slash
/or escaped backslashes
\\can be used as file separators.
Plays the level up sound:
-- by file path (dropped in 8.2.0) PlaySoundFile("Sound/Spells/LevelUp.ogg")
-- by FileDataID 569593 (added support in 8.2.0) PlaySoundFile(569593)
Finding Sound IDs
File Data IDs
- By file name/path, e.g. Spells/LevelUp,type:ogg in wow.tools
- By SoundKitID, e.g. skit:888 in wow.tools
Sound Kit Names/IDs
- By the sounds tab for an NPC, for example https://www.wowhead.com/npc=154304/waveblade-shaman#sounds
- By sound kit name with https://www.wowhead.com/sounds and SoundKitName.db2
- IDs used by the FrameXML are defined in the SOUNDKIT table
- The full list of IDs can be found in SoundKitEntry.db2
- Patch 8.2.0 (2019-06-25): Updated to accept FileDataIDs due to the removal of file paths. 
- Patch 1.2.0 (2004-12-18): Added.