Hello there! We are conducting a survey to better understand the user experience in making a first edit. If you have ever made an edit on Gamepedia, please fill out the survey. Thank you!
Returns the GUID of the specified unit.
guid = UnitGUID("unit")
- String (unitId) - unit to look up the GUID of.
- String (GUID) - a string containing the hexadecimal representation of the unit's GUID, e.g. "Creature-0-1133-870-141-71953-0000432FBD" (Xuen, on Timeless Isle), or nil if the unit does not exist.
The following snippet attempts to figure out what you're targeting based on its GUID:
local guid, name = UnitGUID("target"), UnitName("target") local type, zero, server_id, instance_id, zone_uid, npc_id, spawn_uid = strsplit("-",guid); print(name .. " is a " .. type); if type == "Creature" then print(name .. "'s NPC id is " .. npc_id) elseif type == "Vignette" then print(name .. " is a Vignette and should have its npc_id be zero (" .. npc_id .. ").") elseif type == "Player" then print(name .. " is a player.") end
This function will not return any values before the PLAYER_LOGIN event on a fresh login. If you need to hold the player's GUID in a variable, you must delay populating that variable until the PLAYER_LOGIN event fires. If you populate your variable by calling UnitGUID in the main chunk, your addon will not work on a fresh login, only after reloading the UI.
- Patch 6.0.2 (2014-10-14): New format:
- For players: Player-[server ID]-[player UID] (Example: "Player-976-0002FD64")
- For creatures, pets, objects, and vehicles: [Unit type]-0-[server ID]-[instance ID]-[zone UID]-[ID]-[Spawn UID] (Example: "Creature-0-976-0-11-31146-000136DF91")
- Unit Type Names: "Creature", "Pet", "GameObject", and "Vehicle"
- For vignettes: Vignette-0-[server ID]-[instance ID]-[zone UID]-0-[spawn UID] (Example: "Vignette-0-970-1116-7-0-0017CAE465" for rare mob Sulfurious)
- Patch 5.1.0 (2012-11-27): Bits shifted. NPCID is now characters 6-9, not 7-10 (counting from 1).
- Patch 4.0.1 (2010-10-12): Bits shifted. NPCID is now characters 5-8, not 7-10 (counting from 1).
- Patch 3.3.0 (2009-12-08): Bits shifted. NPCID is now characters 7-10, not 6-9 (counting from 1).
- Patch 2.4.0 (2008-03-25): Added.