Hello there! We are conducting a survey to better understand the user experience in making a first edit. If you have ever made an edit on Gamepedia, please fill out the survey. Thank you!
A Lesson in Bravery
87 (Requires 86)
Use the Rancher's Lariat to lasso and defeat a Great White Plainshawk.
- Great White Plainshawk slain
<Master Shang speaks to his shepherd boy.>
Francis, you need to show bravery! You have everything it takes to make a great shepherd, except the courage to face your fears!
<He looks over to you.>
You, stranger. You helped the rest of my family. Francis is like a second son to me.
Show my apprentice what it means to lack fear. Use this rope to lasso and defeat one of the great white hawks above us.
<Shang points to the sky, looks at Francis, and leaves.>
You lack fear. I can sense it in your heart.
Francis has taken longer than I expected to become an effective shepherd. We all go through these phases... my son Liang was weak once, too. As was I.
But he will learn. It is the Thunderfoot way.
- 161000 XP
On accept, Shang turns to you:
- Shang Thunderfoot says: Come see me when you are finished, <name>. I live in the small farmhouse, just down the road.
Shang will then walk down the road and back to the front steps of his home at Shang's Stead.
- Francis the Shepherd Boy
Did... did he just say I was like a son to him?
The Great White Plainshawks are flying high in the sky above the wolves and regular hawks, well out of range of any player abilities. However, the provided lariat has no such limitation. The hawks have 737,000 health and the following abilities:
- Loop — Deals Physical damage and attempts to shake targets off the Great Plainshawk's back. Instant. ~2640 Physical on cloth. Triggers...
- Mangle — Deals periodic damage. Channeled. Ticks for 2290 Physical damage on cloth every half-second.
Use normal player abilities until it snags the player with its talons, when a boss emote and a bonus action button appears:
- Get back onto the plainshawk's back!
Click the button to escape the damage and resume attacking it. The plainshawk will loop every ~15 seconds.
- Francis the Shepherd Boy
I... I can't believe you did that! You could have died up there! The way you were wrestling with that eagle, and how you used its wings to land safely... it was amazing!
And it's all thanks to you, <name>.
Head up to Shang's Stead and Chen and Li Li are there. He notices the player looking for Shang:
- Chen Stormstout says: <Name>, we meet again! You looking for Shang? I think he's in back, polishing his melon.
Li Li is annoyed again as well.
- Li Li says: Let's get going! There's a whole big valley waiting for us, but you're too focused on the bottom of that mug to see it.
- Chen chuckles.
- Chen Stormstout says: Yes, Li Li, but the bottom of this mug is very interesting to me.
- Li Li says: I'll leave without you. Don't think I'm bluffing. I don't need some smelly old uncle to hold my hand.
- Chen Stormstout says: Why are you so impatient? Are you worried that the mists are going to come back before I finish my drink?
- Li Li says: Well, NOW I am!
Turn in and speak with Chen to continue.
- Patch 5.0.4 (2012-08-28): Added.