A New Direction
100 (Requires 98)
- Pool of Judgment viewed
- Choose between Kayn and Altruis
Kayn or Altruis. You can only choose one.
The chosen shall become your personal champion, and their ideology will color our decisions for the Illidari going forward. No matter who is chosen, our mission remains unchanged.
If you need a reminder of our past, gaze into the Pool of Judgment. Remember the sacrifices that forged us into demon hunters. Speak to me when you are ready to choose.
You will also gain:
- 47,100 XP
Have you made a choice?
I see. I support you no matter your choice. With this new beginning, we shall rebuild the Illidari.
- A group of Illidari demon hunters, with Kor'vas Bloodthorn front and center, stands assembled for battle as rain pours down around them.
- Illidan Stormrage: You were not prepared.
- Illidan stands atop a portal, channeling magic in his hands.
- Illidan Stormrage: The enemy came into our world, their only desire to extinguish all life.
- A flashback of Kor'vas during a demon attack in her home city.
- Illidan Stormrage: They slaughtered our loved ones. They razed our homes, our cities, and our sacred places. You tried to stop them... and you failed.
- Flashback to Kor'vas, kneeling next to the slaughtered corpses of her family, then shifting forward to her initiation as a demon hunter, her eyes burning with felfire.
- Illidan Stormrage: And so, you came to me, nothing remaining of you but rage and determination, and you learned that the things that once tormented you could give you power.
- Kor'vas stabs a pair of blades into her eyes, ritually blinding herself to gain the spectral sight; the scene returns to the present.
- Illidan Stormrage: Now you see that there is no sacrifice too great if it brings an end to the Burning Legion.
- Illidan unleashes the magic in his hands, activating the portal he is standing on.
- Kor'vas Bloodthorn: But... Lord Illidan...
- Kor'vas kneels; Illidan's burned-out eye sockets glow behind his blindfold as he looks to her.
- Kor'vas Bloodthorn: Demonic energies course through our veins. They gnaw at our every thought.
- Kor'vas looks up at Illidan.
- Kor'vas Bloodthorn: What makes us any different from the monsters we fight?
- Illidari Demon Hunter: You question the Master?
- Illidan smiles as his wings spread wide, casting a shadow over his assembled followers, before he leaps to the ground.
- Illidan Stormrage: We will not sit idly like those on Azeroth, waiting to become the demons' prey! We will take this war to the Legion's worlds... and prey upon THEM!
- The demon hunters cheer as they follow Illidan through the portal. On the other side, they begin cutting through the felguards around a great Legion fortress, before Illidan kicks the doors in, confronting the world's master - the annihilan Azgoth.
- Azgoth: Ahh, demon hunters... you dare attack the Doom Lord Azgoth in his own domain?
- The demon hunters charge at Azgoth and his guards. Kor'vas cuts through a number of felguards, then looks up at Illidan, who is glowing with felfire; he slashes through attacking felbats with ease, and blasts Azgoth with an . Azgoth swings his massive flail at Illidan, sending him flying through a stone pillar before collapsing to the floor. Azgoth laughs.
- Azgoth: Your mission has failed. Your cause dies with him!
- Azgoth raises his flail to strike down Illidan; screaming in rage, Kor'vas charges, slicing through the flail's chain. Azgoth growls and backhands Kor'vas, pinning her against the wall between the great horns on his head.
- Azgoth: You smell more of demon than hunter. You would serve us well.
- The burning fel orbs in Kor'vas' eye sockets are visible as she glares defiantly at the demon.
- Kor'vas Bloodthorn: Never.
- From behind, Illidan leaps up and charges into Azgoth, tearing through his back and into his chest with the Twin Blades of Azzinoth. With a scream, Azgoth explodes in a burst of felfire. When it clears, Illidan stands among the smoldering bones of the pit lord, and picks up Kor'vas' warglaive before approaching her.
- Illidan Stormrage: You wish to know the difference between the demons and us? They will stop at nothing to destroy our world.
- Kor'vas Bloodthorn: And we will sacrifice everything to save it.
- Illidan smiles and hands Kor'vas her weapon, then leaps atop the ruin that was once Azgoth.
- Illidan Stormrage: The Legion will know of this victory, and they will fear you, my Illidari.
- Illidan raises one of his blades high.
- Illidan Stormrage: Now... you ARE prepared!
After the cinematic ends, Altruis and Kayn have stopped their duel and now stand facing each other. It's now time to choose who will be your second-in-command; whichever you choose will not affect your powers (but will come into play during the class order campaign for demon hunters later on). Talk to Kor'vas to bring up the choice window:
- They are behaving like children.
- Still, I knew this was coming. They might as well work out their differences now.
- Will it be Kayn or Altruis?
If the player chooses Altruis, Kayn will depart, saying:
- Kayn Sunfury says: You will trust the traitor? I can do no more here.
If the player chooses Kayn, Altruis will depart, saying:
- Altruis the Sufferer says: There is no convincing you, I see. Very well, I will take my leave. <name>, beware that you do not share Illidan's fate.
Regardless of whichever is chosen, speak to Kor'vas to turn in the quest.
Originally, the segment in which the player looks into the Pool of Judgment belonged to a different quest called . The two were combined into a single quest before release. As such, the original quest text for A New Direction was slightly different:
<Name>, as leader of the Illidari in Lord Illidan's absence, you must make a decision. Who shall you recruit as your second-in-command?
Kayn or Altruis. You can only choose one.
The chosen individual shall become your personal champion, and their ideology will color our decisions for the Illidari going forward.
No matter who is chosen, our mission remains unchanged. We must recover Illidan and defeat the Legion.
- Patch 7.0.3 (2016-07-19): Added.