The Adventure Guide, also known as the Adventure Journal, was introduced in patch 4.2.0 as the Dungeon Journal but later revamped in patch 6.2.0. It lists the phases, abilities, and loot of bosses for raid instances, outdoor raids, dungeons and suggests content at your current level. Notably, the guide does not directly specify tactics to overcome the abilities, leaving the players to figure out the encounter strategy on their own. Each expansion has its own background color.
The Adventure Guide unlocks once the player reaches reached level 11.
- 1 Suggested Content
- 2 Alerts
- 3 Instances covered
- 3.1 Classic dungeons
- 3.2 Classic raids
- 3.3 Burning Crusade dungeons
- 3.4 Burning Crusade raids
- 3.5 Wrath of the Lich King dungeons
- 3.6 Wrath of the Lich King raids
- 3.7 Cataclysm dungeons
- 3.8 Cataclysm raids
- 3.9 Mists of Pandaria dungeons
- 3.10 Mists of Pandaria raids
- 3.11 Warlords of Draenor dungeons
- 3.12 Warlords of Draenor raids
- 3.13 Legion dungeons
- 3.14 Legion raids
- 3.15 Battle for Azeroth dungeons
- 3.16 Battle for Azeroth raids
- 3.17 Removed dungeons
- 4 Gallery
- 5 Notes
- 6 Patch changes
The Adventure Guide suggests content based on a number of factors, such as character level, item level, quest progress, achievements, and more. The Guide is fully interactive, allowing players to accept relevant quests or search for a group via Group Finder with a single click.
Alerts are small icons that bring attention to more important abilities, effects, or even mobs during encounters within the Adventure Guide.
The following icons and what they generally mean:
- Mythic Only - Only happens during mythic raids from Siege of Orgrimmar on.
- Heroic Only - Only happens during heroic modes. (pre-Siege of Orgrimmar and all 5-man dungeons)
- Deadly - An ability that can likely kill its target.
- Important - Something important, or requiring immediate attention.
- Tank Alert - A creature the tank should be aware of.
- DPS Alert - A creature the DPS should make their focus.
- Healer Alert - Healers should be more attentive during this ability.
- Interruptable - An ability that can be interrupted.
- Magic Effect - A removable magic effect.
- Curse Effect - A removable curse effect.
- Poison Effect - A removable poison effect.
- Disease Effect - A removable disease effect.
- Enrage - When the boss enrages.
Siege of Orgrimmar in Adventure Guide.
After Patch 6.2
Design prior to patch 6.2.0.
The Bastion of Twilight in the Encounter Journal.
Siamat's Loot in the Encounter Journal.
Lord Rhyolith in the Encounter Journal.
- The original, The Burning Crusade, and Wrath of the Lich King raid information are not available but the loot tables are.
- It was originally developed as Encounter Journal in patch 4.2.0 PTR and later renamed to the Dungeon Journal on live release. It was then renamed to Adventure Guide in patch 6.2.0.
- Patch 8.0.1 (2018-07-17): Battle for Azeroth dungeons, raids and World bosses added.
- Patch 7.3.5 (2018-01-16): Partial Ulduar info added.
- Patch 7.3.0 (2017-08-29): Seat of the Triumvirate, Invasion Points and Antorus, the Burning Throne added.
- Patch 7.2.5 (2017-06-13): Partial Black Temple info added.
- Patch 7.2.0 (2017-03-28): Cathedral of Eternal Night, Apocron, Brutallus, Malificus, Si'vash, Tomb of Sargeras added.
- Patch 7.1.0 (2016-10-25): Return to Karazhan and Trial of Valor added.
- Patch 7.0.3 (2016-07-19):
- Patch 6.2.0 (2015-06-23):
- Patch 6.0.2 (2014-10-14): Warlords of Draenor dungeons, raids and World bosses added.
- Patch 5.4.0 (2013-09-10):
- Patch 5.3.0 (2013-05-21): Dungeon Journal has been reorganized. The model view has moved into a sub-tab and replaced with a listing of bosses for the dungeon or raid.
- Patch 5.2.0 (2013-03-05):
- Patch 5.0.4 (2012-08-28):
- Patch 4.3.0 (2011-11-29): End Time, Well of Eternity, Hour of Twilight, Alizabal and Dragon Soul added.
- Patch 4.2.0 (2011-06-28): Added.