Allied races are, from a design point of view, alternate versions of the main races, akin to the long proposed fan concept of "sub-races". They use the skeleton of an existing race, but altered and with a different model. They also have their own racial abilities. Allied races get a full character kit: their own emotes, their own flirts, funnies, exertions, and so on.
Allied races will always come out in pairs to begin with, but in the long run they may not come out for both factions at the same time. As new allied races are added, more character slots will be added.
Players must first bring the new ally into their faction before they become available. Once unlocked, they can create a character of this race, starting their adventure at level 20. Upon reaching level 110 (without a level boost or Recruit-a-Friend boost), heritage armor sets are awarded.
List of allied races
- For recruitment questlines, see Allied race recruitment quests.
Each race is associated with an achievement and reputation in order to unlock. These requirements are account wide, not character bound, so players can earn each requirement on different characters on different realms and still unlock the ability to make a new character with an allied race. After a player meets the requirements for a given race, they must head to their faction's embassy, where they will be given a quest chain that, upon completion, will ultimately grant them the ability to create a new character for that allied race.
- Void elves — Available — Requires Exalted with Argussian Reach and
- Lightforged draenei — Available — Requires Exalted with Army of the Light and
- Dark Iron dwarves — Not Available — Requires Exalted with 7th Legion and Ready for War (Alliance)
- Kul Tiran humans — Not Available
- Nightborne — Available — Requires Exalted with The Nightfallen and
- Highmountain tauren — Available — Requires Exalted with Highmountain Tribe and
- Mag'har orcs — Not Available — Requires Exalted with The Honorbound and Ready for War (Horde)
- Zandalari trolls — Not Available
Class balance on factions is more linked to lore than equality. It was also stated that there are no plans to give hero classes to allied races in Battle for Azeroth, but in the future the door is open to it.
- - Added in World of Warcraft: Legion, but players must have purchased World of Warcraft: Battle for Azeroth
- - Added in World of Warcraft: Battle for Azeroth
Future allied races
Allied races are not a Battle for Azeroth-exclusive feature.
Mag'har orcs and Dark Iron dwarves will be available after completing the Battle for Azeroth War Campaign. The Kul Tiran humans and Zandalari trolls will be unlocked later in the expansion, after they respectively join the Alliance and the Horde.
Potential allied races
- Vulpera have been speculated to be an allied race in the future, based on having a full suite of customization options (unusual among NPC races). Blizzard has stated that setting up certain races that way is advantageous for development and is not necessarily a sign that there are any plans to make them playable. Vulpera also received a complete model update during Alpha, and notably received tails and tattoos. They also have faces rigged for animations, underwear (which is something that is normally unique to playable races), and their texture sheet is ordered like that of a playable race. For a race that only appears in a significant way in only one zone, Vol'dun, all of this might be seen as odd, especially compared to the other, main Vol'dun race, the Sethrak, who are much more prominent and important but barely get any customization and are purely NPC models.
- The only known friendly Vulpera faction, the Voldunai, are Horde-aligned, so they would be a Horde race.
- There are no immediate plans for Wildhammer dwarves, but it is possible in the future.
Notes & trivia
- Allied races can be boosted with the Character Boost service but will not receive their heritage armor set.
- The term "allied race" was used in the Patch 1.5 notes to refer to other factions.
- ^ MMO-Champion: Nov 6 Hotfixes, Dev Interviews, Heroes PTR, Overwatch PTR Build, Blue Posts, DLC #606
- ^ a b Developer Q&A with Ion Hazzikostas - Battle for Azeroth
- ^ Battle for Azeroth Live Developer Q&A – April 26, 2018, 48:25
- ^ Battle for Azeroth Beta Q&A with Ion Hazzikostas
- ^ MMO-Champion - Battle for Azeroth Developer Q&A
- ^ Developer Q&A with Ion Hazzikostas - Battle for Azeroth
- ^ BFA Press Event - Talanji Cinematic, 8.0 Pre-Patch, Mag'har and Dark Iron Unlock Schedule
- ^ Ornyx on the official forums
- ^ Elliot Gardner 2018-05-03. How Blizzard are preparing WoW for Battle for Azeroth | PCGamesN. Retrieved on 2018-06-13.
- ^ Archived page