|Title||Bishop of Secrets, Archbishop of the Church of Light (former)|
|Character class||Priest, Cleric|
|Affiliation(s)||Conclave, Armies of Legionfall|
|Former affiliation(s)||Scourge, Alliance of Lordaeron, Kingdom of Lordaeron, Order of the Silver Hand, Church of the Light, Brotherhood of Northshire|
|Occupation||Champion of the Conclave, formerly Leader of the Church of Light, Bishop, Archbishop (formerly)|
- “Not all authority is corrupt or self-serving, young man. There are those of us called to serve by leading, just as your friend here.”
Alonsus Faol was the Archbishop of the Church of the Holy Light during the Second War. He organized the creation of paladins - knights who wielded the Light - to defend the Alliance of Lordaeron. His apprentice Uther became the first paladin and together they founded the Knights of the Silver Hand paladin order.
Tides of DarknessThis section concerns content exclusive to the Warcraft novels, novellas, or short stories.
Alonsus was present with the other leaders of Lordaeron in the Capital City to hear . Faol was deeply troubled by the loss of Northshire Abbey and by the terrible attrition its clerics suffered in that conflict. Aided by his apprentice, Uther Lightbringer, whom he first met when he was just a bishop, Faol created the Knights of the Silver Hand and equipped the followers of the Holy Light with the armaments of war. Alonsus Chapel, in Stratholme, was the site where he anointed Uther as the first of the paladins.
After the Second WarThis section concerns content exclusive to the Warcraft novels, novellas, or short stories.
After the Second War, in Stormwind City Faol led a ceremony in which Prince Arthas became a paladin of the Silver Hand. Later, he held the position as one of the four jurors during the court of in Stratholme. Like the other judges, he was shocked when Tirion admitted his guilt.
LegionThis section concerns content exclusive to Legion.
Faol returns after years of absence as an undead. He revealed that he had been turned into a mindless minion of the Scourge, though he would free himself sometime after and go into hiding in the shadows. He has also been working with in her fight against the Twilight's Hammer. At some point he befriended , the lost princess of Lordaeron.
After directing the priest adventurer of the Conclave to search for various artifacts, Faol joined Moira and in Dalaran. From there, the trio journeyed to Netherlight Temple, an ancient draenei prison for . There, Alonsus along with the artifact wielder and several other priest were able to cleanse the naaru, bringing it back to its original state. To celebrate, Alonsus changed the prison into the priest order hall and promoted the artifact wielder as the leader of the order.
First thing on the agenda was spreading the word to gather more priests to the Temple and get rations up and running to the maximum extent against the Legion. Alonsus asked the priest to go see to find out what's troubling the gnome. He thinks it's more spouting nonsense, but Velen told him that they cannot afford to make careless assumptions. Faol requested the priest to go into the Halls of Valor to recover the to recruit a potential ally. Another individual to be soon joining the ranks of the Conclave lies towards an enemy. Upon returning with the new recruit, Alonsus saw it as times such as this that the Conclave cannot afford to turn away those willing to help. Thus, she was welcomed as their new ally.
Then a night elf priest named rushed and apologizes for the interruption for she bear important news. She has been working with and the leader of the renewed Silver Hand. Together they translated a codex that details the Legion's plans to establish an invasion point at Felblaze Ingress. Delas wanted to take a small group of priests to accompany the paladins in their search of this demon world known as Niskara. If the dreadlord was there, they would find him. Alonsus told her to return to the temple at once when she had any information the Conclave can act on.
Foal then sent the priest to to recruit another follower of priesthood. After freeing from the void, she quickly joins the Conclave in hopes of using Light and Shadow magic as priests to defeat the Burning Legion. Alonsus comments that the Forsaken priests will rejoice at Natalie Seline's return, and the Conclave as well, knowing that Velen's prophecy is being fulfilled. An urgent message from of the Order of the Silver Hand reveals that both groups have been captured by the Legion. After rescuing the paladins and priests from Niskara, the intel on the planet confirmed that the Legion was going to attack Netherlight Temple. Faol then asked the priest to go beneath Light's Hope Chapel in the Sanctum of Light and speak to the war council there. The Order of the Silver Hand agrees to aid the Conclave and all that remains is preparing for the worst when Balnazzar strikes at Netherlight Temple. Faol wanted as much supplies as he can obtain for the priests to prepare for the battle to come. Eventually the Legion found Netherlight Temple and Alonsus told the priest to inform the paladins to arrive at the temple at once. With the paladins led by the priest adventurer, Velen tells the Conclave that there is a chance of victory or so it seemed. Balnazzar unleashed his true potential power in Netherlight Temple since it was located in the Twisting Nether, which meant he can permanently die. After the long struggle against the Legion at the priest order hall, thanks to the aid of the holy dreadlord alongside the Army of the Light and the paladins of the Silver Hand, Balnazzar was no more. To celebrate this victory, Alonsus announced the title of High Priest given to the adventurer as well as becoming a follower of the priest order hall. He also tells the High Priest that their artifact over the course of the Conclave's campaign was evolving with them.
Alonsus had it brought to his attention of a curious contagion that is spreading through a small coastal region within Highmountain. The local tribes have abandoned the area for fear of catching this ailment that currently has no known cure as this time. traveled there when her companion fell ill of the contagion and tells the High Priest to lead them a hand. Eventually with a cure in hand, he informed the High Priest that the Broken Shore needed its attention for using it on their allies and prevent the contagion from spreading.
|Location||Level range||Health range|
|Quest:A Hero's Weapon||113||9,204,700|
LegionThis section concerns content exclusive to Legion.
Death and remembrance
Faol died of unknown causes some time prior to the coming of the Scourge to Lordaeron. His final resting place is presumed to be Faol's Rest, a graveyard in the now-plagued Tirisfal Glades, located near Scarlet Monastery.
A statue and fountain in front of the Cathedral of Light in Stormwind City honors all the hard work done by Faol following the Second War, raising funds to help rebuild the city and reestablishing the Brotherhood of Northshire.
Archbishop Alonsus Faol
Benevolent patron of the Church of Light.
Though he began his good work in Stratholme, Lordaeron, Archbishop Faol was a great friend to the people of Stormwind. In the dark days after the Second War, he helped to reform the Brotherhood of Northshire and raised vast funds to rebuild Stormwind city itself.
This Cathedral stands not only as a bastion of the Holy Light, but as a lasting testament to one man's noble spirit and generosity.
In Cataclysm, the "Archbishop Alonsus Faol" plaque was replaced by one dedicated to Uther the Lightbringer.
QuotesThis section concerns content exclusive to Legion.
- I knew from the moment we met in the quiet fields of Tirisfal that you would be the one to unite the priests. I'd like to take credit for finding our leader, but I really think the truth of it is, you found us. Our time together has only just begun, <name>.
- I will hide in shadows no longer.
- How may I help you?
- We will accomplish much together.
- I wonder what would happen if you split someone into pure light and pure void. Interested in volunteering?
- Bored? I could arrange discourse with a shadow fiend.
- You do know there's an invasion going on, right?
- Until next time.
- Let us get to work.
- May light and shadow guide you.
- Combat ally
- The Light topples our enemies!
- Our inner fire burns bright!
- Let the Light flow through you!
- I've heard that this Blade dates back to antiquity, even before the titans! An excellent choice, unless you are reconsidering.
- The Beacon is strongly linked to the naaru, having their aid could be exactly what we need to turn the tide! Are you sure?
- This staff has great power that can be used for good, if you have the will to control it. It could also immolate you. Are you sure?
According to older accounts, the aged Faol was the and fled with the surviving citizens of Stormwind to Lordaeron. Later sources changes his story to already being in Lordaeron during the First War, and only learned about the destruction of Northshire Abbey when he spoke with Lord Lothar in Lordaeron's Capital City.
Notes & trivia
- Alonsus was described as being short and stout with a snow-white beard and was compared to . He wore ceremonial robes and wielded a staff.
- He was loved and generous. Many would enjoy his presence, even those who had just met him. He gave encouragement to the wizard and Lothar days before the Second War and told Lothar that he had already started to raise funds for rebuilding Stormwind before introducing him to the paladins.
- After he was raised up as an undead, he probably developed somewhat violent and frightening traits, evidenced by his irritated quotes when he is clicked on continuously.
- can be fished from the Dalaran fountain.
- is named after him.
- Alonsus Faol has a Server named after him.
- He appears to be a planned champion. See Follower: Alonsus Faol.
- Faol is voiced by Gideon Emery.
- His original name, before he became an archbishop, may have been "Farol," changing it sometime after becoming Archbishop. One source credits a character called "Archbishop Farol of Lordaeron" with creating the Knights of the Silver Hand. Although this could have been an error or typo.
An aged Archbishop led a ceremony in which Taelan became a paladin. It is unknown whether the Archbishop was Alonsus.
A natural death?
It is currently unknown when exactly he died. There are some conflicting sources: Both Of Blood and Honor (year 19) and Arthas: Rise of the Lich King in which he appeared are set after Day of the Dragon (year 10), which claims that Alonsus is already dead around that time. As Arthas: Rise of the Lich King was released almost 9 years after Day of the Dragon, it can be assumed to be the more up to date account.
The story of Alonsus Faol and might have been inspired by the one of from the non-canon RPG.
- Patch 7.0.3 (2016-07-19): Added.
- ^ Rise of the Lich King
- ^ Arthas: Rise of the Lich King
- ^ Of Blood and Honor
- ^ World of Warcraft: Legion - Patch 7.2 – The Tomb of Sargeras Trailer
- ^ Warcraft II: Tides of Darkness manual, Legends of the Land, Sire Uther Lightbringer
- ^ Warcraft II: Tides of Darkness manual, A Brief History of the Fall of Azeroth, The Alliance of Lordaeron
- ^ Tides of Darkness
- ^ Arthas: Rise of the Lich King
- ^ Tides of Darkness, p. 45
- ^ Shadows & Light, pg. 55, 169
| Preceded by:
Archbishop of the Church of Light
| Succeeded by:|
Benedictus / Twilight Father