|Affiliation(s)||Knights of the Ebon Blade|
|Occupation||Death knight frost trainer, Champion of the Ebon Blade|
Amal'thazad was once a powerful frost mage who fought against the forces of the Lich King. Arthas Menethil, impressed with the mage's power, raised him into undeath as the lich. He became the death knight frost trainer. Amal'thazad is surrounded by a group of Disciples of Frost.
During the Burning Legion's third invasion, when the Deathlord came back with the , Amal'thazad decided he had nothing more to teach and joined them on the battlefield. He also appeared on the Broken Shore, investigating the Legion's attempts at re-creating the masterpiece that was the Scourge.
|Location||Level range||Health range|
|Acherus: The Ebon Hold||80||55,340|
|Acherus: The Ebon Hold||100||598,264|
|100 - 110||2,078,534|
We are what the cold wind carries. The icy chill of despair... The cold embrace of death...
Amal'thazad places a challenge upon one of his Disciples of Frost. He will say one of the following lines, while the disciple comes forth:
- It is time for your challenge, disciple. Use my teachings well.
- Prove that you understand my teachings, disciple.
- Step forth disciple, show me what you have learned.
- You have stood and listened long enough. Step forth.
- It is time for your learning to be put at test. Step forth.
The challenge, placed upon the Disciple of Frost can be one of two:
1. Amal'thazad calls forth a Coldwraith, which enters combat with the disciple.
- Its spells would be less threatening if its incantations were slowed by your icy touch...
- Do not let it consider its next spells so freely, disciple... freeze its mind.
- The disciple casts and interrupts the Coldwraith's .
2. Amal'thazad calls forth 3 skeletons, called Frigid Bones, which enter combat with the disciple.
- You are not overwhelmed just yet disciple... let the hungering cold of death halt this onslaught.
- Disciple of Frost casts , freezing the skeletons solid.
- Frozen solid, ripe for the slaughter. Let loose a howling blast and shatter them to pieces, disciple.
- The disciple battles the 3 Frozen Bones through a combination of melee strikes, , , and until it kills them all or dies.
Depending on the outcome of the challenge Amal'thazad says the following lines:
- Well done.
- You have more learning ahead of you, disciple. Return to your studies.
- A good start. Return, disciple.
- You have learned well. Continue on your path, disciple.
Upon failure - the Disciple of Frost is killed by its enemy.
- Do not be frightened child... welcome the cold embrace of death...
- Death is the reward for your weakness.
- Your retention was poor.
- Such is the price of failure.
- Deathlord, I have been your humble tutor in the dark arts for some years now. From your birth at the hands of the Lich King, to your ascension as leader of our order, I have taken pride in watching you grow in power and undeath.
- I believe the time has passed in which my services as a teacher are necessary. Perhaps I would be of more use to you on the battlefield?
- The time has come for me to warm these frozen bones of mine in the blood my enemies. Please, allow me to be of service on the battlefield.
- "What may I teach you today?"
- "Yes, my disciple?"
- "Death greets you, young one."
- "Do not forget what you have learned."
- "The greatest power... is you."
- "We do what the living cannot."
- Broken Shore
When he appears on the Broken Shore, he has dialogs for . After finishing the quest, he has the following gossip:
- It is so nice to be away from Acherus doing some good, old fashioned field research again with fresh corpses and bone piles.
Notes and trivia
- Amal'thazad is voiced by Dave Fennoy in Legion.
- He is one of the few friendly liches in World of Warcraft, the other being Tanathal. However, he is the only one with whom players may interact.
- Although Amal'thazad is a Frost Trainer, as well as all other death knight trainers, teaches everything.
- As a champion, it is shown that he fights like a Frost death knight, dual-wielding swords.
- Patch 7.0.3 (2016-07-19): Added in the Legion version of Acherus: The Ebon Hold.
- Patch 3.0.2 (2008-10-14): Added.