|This article concerns content exclusive to Shadowlands and is subject to change at any time as development progresses.
This article should only contain officially released content, such as beta and press release content. See Wowpedia's policy on posting unreleased content.
- For the Mists of Pandaria life energy, see anima.
Anima is the essence of mortal souls that enter the Shadowlands, the product of all of the soul's experiences and actions in life. Great souls—good or evil—have a lot of anima, while those who have lived humbler lives have less. It infuses the Shadowlands and acts as the lifeblood of the afterlife, making trees grow and rivers flow, flowing through creatures, and connecting all the realms of the Shadowlands together.
In recent years, however, the machine of death has been broken. All souls who enter the Shadowlands now pour directly into the Maw instead of being distributed between realms, making the Maw grow larger and more powerful. As a consequence, the realms have been cut off from one another, breeding fear and distrust among the inhabitants, and with no incoming anima, the other realms of the Shadowlands have started to wither.
In-game, anima is a resource gathered from various sources and can be used for different game mechanics, such as powering up one's Soulbind.
- Anima is the source that is drawn upon when using death magic. It is comparable to mana.
- In Oribos and the Shadowlands as a whole, this "soulstuff" is used as a currency, traded, bartered for, and fought over.
- In Bastion, the stewards create anima-fueled guardians known as Centurions.
- In Ardenweald, anima is drawn in by the region's massive dream trees and subsequently infused into nature spirits awaiting rebirth. Ardenweald has suffered more keenly from soul-drought than any other realm in the Shadowlands, and the night fae's Winter Queen must now choose which groves and souls will be fed the last precious drops of anima and which will fade away forever.
- In Revendreth, the venthyr harvest anima from prideful and sinful souls.
- Mists of Pandaria featured another substance also known as "anima", though the two are not to be confused. Mists of Pandaria anima is condensed life energy, whereas Shadowlands anima is death energy.
- ^ a b Blizzard Entertainment. Shadowlands - Home. Retrieved on 2019-11-03.
- ^ a b c d e Blizzard Entertainment 2019-11-01. BlizzCon 2019 - World of Warcraft: What's Next. Retrieved on 2019-11-02.
- ^ a b c d Blizzard Entertainment 2019-11-01. World of Warcraft: What’s Next Panel Recap. Retrieved on 2019-11-02.
- ^ a b
- ^ Anima Wyrmling
- ^ a b MrGM 2019-11-02. Blizzcon Shadowlands Interview: Frank Kowalkowski & Steve Danuser - Titanforging/Tier Sets & More! (23:30 - 25:00). YouTube. Retrieved on 2019-11-02.
- ^ Blizzard Entertainment 2019-11-01. Shadowlands Preview: Bastion and the Kyrian Covenant. Retrieved on 2019-11-03.
- ^ Blizzard Entertainment. Night Fae - Covenants - Shadowlands. Retrieved on 2019-11-03.
- ^ Blizzard Entertainment. Venthyr - Covenants - Shadowlands. Retrieved on 2019-11-03.