- Not to be confused with Arkkoran.
The ankoan (sometimes pluralized as ankoans) are an ancient species of deep sea warriors that traverse the deepest and most dangerous parts of the ocean. Over the generations, they have been nearly hunted to extinction by the naga. So few of them remain that they know they can never rebuild their tribe's population, and those who remain have dedicated their lives to slaying naga.
The ankoan are an offshoot of the jinyu who left Pandaria a long time ago. Now their clans hunt in the depths of the ocean. They have been nearly hunted to extinction by the naga. The Waveblade clan has been fighting back against the naga, and recently took the fight to the naga's doorstep in Nazjatar after the naga killed the Waveblade leader. When Alliance forces arrive in Nazjatar, they befriend the Waveblade while the Horde allies with the Unshackled.
The ankoan worship Neptulon. They have a natural affinity for the sea, so training local wildlife like waverays was a natural strategy in their battles against the naga. Ankoan believe the spirits of their ancestors continue to watch over them after death. To honor their dead, the ankoan place wooden burial shrines over their graves. However, the names of those who have died a dishonorable or cowardly death are purposefully forgotten.
Long ago, ankoan children would fill empty spider crab shells with sand and then hang them on the corals as decoration.
Notes and trivia
- The ankoan resemble a cross between jinyu and deep sea murlocs.
- Ankoan use the jinyu animation skeleton, which itself is a modified male night elf skeleton.
- Their sound files are named "deep_jinyu".
- The original Rise of Azshara announcement at BlizzCon 2018 implied that the ankoan were a single tribe, but the in-game content in Nazjatar clarifies that they're a race consisting of multiple clans.
- Like arakkoa, ankoan appear to be non-sexually dimorphic, as several ankoan have distinctively female voices, but look no different to males.
- Anko (鮟鱇, ankō) is Japanese for "anglerfish."
This article or section includes speculation, observations or opinions possibly supported by lore or by Blizzard officials. It should not be taken as representing official lore.
The ankoan may be descended or related to the Razorfin tribe of jinyu who left Pandaria a long time ago.