Appearances (also known as Wardrobe) is a transmogrification feature introduced in World of Warcraft: Legion that enables a player to collect and save equipment appearances (including weapon enchants) account-wide. This frees up inventory room by not requiring the player to hold onto an item in order to use it again later, nor hold onto a copy of it for each desired character on the account.
Appearance learning requirements
To learn appearances, players must acquire soulbound items that the bound-to character can equip. When first logging into a character after Patch 7.0, the appearances of appropriate items in the character's bags, bank, and Void Storage were learned automatically. Additional appearances were unlocked based on previously-completed one-time quests.
A Blizzard developer posted this short questionnaire that can be checked against to see if an item's appearance can be learned:
- Can you equip the item?
- Does equipping the item retain the bonus from your Armor Skills passive? (Really, this just means it needs to be the armor type you’re supposed to be wearing)
- Is it bound to you? (The item must be permanently soulbound, trading an item during the grace period timer will revoke the appearance)
- Is it at least Uncommon quality?
Answer yes to all four questions and your character will learn the appearance.
As with pre-Legion transmogrification, there are some items that are not transmogrifiable:
- Holiday apparel with no stats (like )
- Legendary weapons
- Others like the that have special reasons for not being eligible. This is typically reserved for items of a goofy nature, or seasonal items.
Collections of enchantment appearances and PvP season gear were added in Patch 7.0.3 in an attempt to make gathering some old sets of appearances much easier to accomplish, as well as to enable the use of sub-40 transmog sets that changed from mail to plate or leather to mail in the patch.
- Patch 7.2.5 (2017-06-13): Favoriting an appearance in your Appearance Collection will now soulbind the item granting you the appearance.
- Patch 7.2.0 (2017-03-28): A new 'Sets' tab in the Appearances UI has been added to assist in tracking of item sets from previous Raids, PvP Seasons, and more.
- Patch 7.0.3 (2016-07-19): Added.