|Race||Eternal One (Humanoid)|
|Occupation||Judge of the Shadowlands|
|Location||The Crucible, Oribos|
The Arbiter is an Eternal One who dwells in the Crucible in the city of Oribos and judges all mortal souls that enter the Shadowlands. Her existence predates all memory—even older than the titans, according to some accounts. When a soul is brought before the Arbiter, all of its contents—deeds, misdeeds, thoughts, accomplishments, and failures—are laid bare, absorbed, and understood by her in the merest fraction of a moment. The Arbiter then sends the soul off to one of the infinite realms of the Shadowlands, determined by the soul's character. The souls travel to the various realms through gateways surrounding the Crucible. If the Arbiter didn't exist to send mortal souls to their intended afterlife, they would be lost forever within the infinite realms. The Arbiter and Oribos are tended to by a race of beings known as Attendants. The Arbiter herself is ever silent; from among the circle of Attendants known as Scholars, an Honored Voice is selected to speak on her behalf. The current Honored Voice is Tal-Inara.
It is said that the Jailer, who seeks to escape his imprisonment in the Maw, is filled with hatred for the Arbiter. If he killed her, it would mean the end of everything the First Ones made. An unknown calamity recently struck the Arbiter, causing her to go dormant and cease directing souls to their just afterlives. Instead, all souls now flow past her to hurtle directly into the Maw. The Attendants have tried to unravel this mystery, but with little success. When the Maw Walker arrived in Oribos, the Arbiter briefly stirred but then returned to her dormant state.
- The Arbiter looks notably more artificial than the other Eternal Ones, and has an orb-shaped device in her chest, roughly in the same location where the Jailer has a hole in his chest. This has led some fans to theorize that the Arbiter is actually a construct created to replace the Jailer.
- The Arbiter could be the person who helped Vol'jin as he was said to have been saved and "touched by the hand of valor".
- The cinematic where it showed what happened to The Arbiter, what seems a single red soul slams into her causing her to seize up and pass into unconsciousness. Fans have begun to theorize that this one was actually Argus the Unmaker, Xavius, or Gul'dan, as the soul would have had to die after Ursoc. Another possibility could be Denathrius's own sentient sword Remornia as it also glows in red, is able to fly on its own, and has similar sounds as the red orb that attacked The Arbiter.
On the loading screen for Shadowlands.
- For uncounted eons, the Shadowlands was in perfect order.
- Infinite afterlives, with Oribos, the Eternal City, as the shining heart.
- Every mortal soul came before the Arbiter. And she, ever wise, experienced all that had shaped a soul in life.
- With this knowledge, she consigned every soul to the afterlife it justly deserved.
- A red soul streaks into the Arbiter, as she shrieks.
- In that dread moment, our perfect order was shattered.
- And so it is that every soul, kind and cruel alike, is denied its rightful afterlife, and instead is damned to the inescapable torment of the Maw.
- Patch 9.0.2 (2020-11-17): Added.
- ^ a b Blizzard Entertainment 2019-11-01. World of Warcraft: What’s Next Panel Recap. Retrieved on 2019-11-02.
- ^ a b c d e
- ^ The Art of World of Warcraft: Shadowlands, pg. 27
- ^ a b Blizzard Entertainment 2020-05-21. Shadowlands Preview: Oribos. Archived from the original on 2020-05-21.
- ^ [Spoilculation] The Jailer and The Arbiter