- As mage spells go, this one isn't the showiest. Nonetheless, you'll find it quite effective.
While you stand and channel, Arcane Missiles launches bolts of arcane energy at your target, dealing the given damage each second. Unlike other channeled spells, each second (or "tick") is considered a separate direct damage missile which passes through the normal direct damage checks (crit, resistance). Furthermore, both the initial cast of Arcane Missiles and each Missile are considered spell hits, resulting in a maximum amount of 5 hits per cast.
- Clearcasting - For every X mana spent, you have a 1% chance of making Arcane Missiles cast 20% faster and cost no mana. Mana spent per 1% proc chance depends on the Mage's level. At Level 120, every 500 mana spent grants a 1% chance to proc Clearcasting.
- - Causes Arcane Missiles to fire one additional missile when Clearcasting is active.
- - Reduces the cost of Arcane Missiles by 100% every time you gain your third Arcane Charge.
- - Clearcasting allows Arcane Missiles to be channeled while moving.
- - Clearcasting stacks up to 3 times and increases Arcane Missiles damage by 5% per stack while active.
- Arcane Pummeling - Each wave of Arcane Missiles deals more damage than the previous one.
- Anomalous Impact - Arcane Missiles deals additional damage per each Arcane Charge.
Tips and tactics
A known disadvantage of the spell is that it requires you to stay in one space for the 2.5 second duration, making you a sitting duck in PvP situations (A sitting duck that happens to be shooting magic missiles at foes, anyways) and keeping you from gaining space between you and your enemies.
An often overlooked PvP benefit is the rapid speed with which it hits opponents causes regular spell interruption. Between this and , an Arcane mage can make it exceedingly difficult for an enemy player to get off spells with a cast time.
A notable effect of the fact is that "on spell hit" abilities, such as , can proc off each missile, similar to "on spell crit" abilities. However, "on spell cast" abilities, such as , only have a chance to proc on each casting of the spell, not on each bolt.
- Arcane Missiles is a basic Mage spell in Hearthstone. The flavor text reads: "You'd think you'd be able to control your missiles a little better since you're a powerful mage and all."
Patches and hotfixes
- Hotfix (2018-07-18): "When Arcane Missiles activate Clearcasting, the subsequent (free) Missiles will correctly have reduced channel time and be affected by Slipstream."
- Patch 8.0.1 (2018-07-17):
- Can now be cast at any time (previously required a proc to be cast).
- Mana cost re-added.
- Channel time increased to 2.5 seconds, up from 2 seconds.
- No longer generates or gains bonus damage from Arcane Charges.
- Patch 7.1.0 (2016-10-25): Damage increased by 17%. Now learned at level 12 (was level 14).
- Actual damage increase 10%?
- Actual damage increase 10%?
- Hotfix (2016-09-23): "Arcane Missiles damage increased by 9%."
- Patch 7.0.3 (2016-07-19): Damage per wave increased by 22.8%, base chance to proc per spell reduced to 15% (down from 40%). Now deals 50% more damage per Arcane Charge (down from 60%).
- Patch 6.2.0 (2015-06-23): Now deals 10% more damage.
- Patch 6.0.2 (2014-10-14): Stacks up to 3 charges (up from 2).
- Patch 5.2.0 (2013-03-05): Damage has been reduced by 22.1%.
- Hotfix (2012-09-20): "Arcane Missiles damage has been reduced by approximately 3.5%."
- Patch 5.0.4 (2012-08-28): Now affected by the Arcane Charge resource mechanic.
- Patch 4.1.0 (2011-04-26): Damage has been increased by 13%.
- Patch 4.0.3a (2010-11-23): Damage has been increased by 5%.
- Patch 4.0.1 (2010-10-12): Now has a chance of being castable, much like the effects of prior to 4.0.1.
- Patch 3.2.2 (2009-09-22):
- Casting this spell while both Missile Barrage and Clearcasting are active will cause only Missile Barrage to be consumed.
- Ranks 12 and 13 will now properly cause players to enter combat.
- Patch 2.2.0 (2007-09-25): A bug was fixed where some procs such as the would not trigger properly.
- Patch 2.1.0 (2007-05-22):
- Spell haste now affects channeled spells such as Arcane Missiles, reducing the overall channeling time but still doing the same amount of damage, thus increasing the DPS.
- A bug was fixed where Arcane Missiles would fire an inconsistent number of missiles. This was fixed so that ranks 3-11 would always fire 5 pulses.
- Patch 1.12.0 (2006-08-22): It is no longer possible to cast this spell on an evading mob. In addition, the animation will now stop when the target is dead.
- Patch 1.8.0 (2005-10-10): Should now properly report the correct "out of range" indicator on the action bar.
- Patch 1.3.0 (2005-03-07): Fixed a bug where the spell would not function properly against spell-reflecting targets.
- Patch 0.9.1 (2004-08-24): Arcane missiles will now only get a chance at the free cast on the first missile instead of every missile
- Patch 0.9 (2004-08-17): Can no longer be cast if silenced.
- Patch 0.7 (2004-06-15): Mana cost and damage increased.