|Affiliation(s)||Council of Six, Kirin Tor, Kirin Tor Offensive, Alliance, Tirisgarde|
|Former affiliation(s)||Alliance Expedition|
|Occupation||Archmage of the Kirin Tor, Member of the Council of Six, Champion of the Tirisgarde; formerly Master of Kirin'Var Village|
Vargoth was the leader of the mages of the Kirin Tor that accompanied the Alliance Expedition to Draenor and founded Kirin'Var Village in Farahlon, later known as Netherstorm. While there he worked with the mages to study the Ley lines and heard of the alliance between the human and orcs from the Laughing Skull clan. At some point, he sent a report with General to Dalaran with reports, apparently not knowing about the Alliance heroes that stayed here after the explosion of Draenor.
The Burning CrusadeThis section concerns content exclusive to The Burning Crusade.
The village has survived the following years until the attack of and his blood elves that killed all people in the village except himself, he was locked up in a magical way in the The Violet Tower and guarded by . He sensed that , his apprentice who he sent away with his staff during the attack, was still alive. Through his staff he worked with the adventurers to free himself.
Wrath of the Lich KingThis section concerns content exclusive to Wrath of the Lich King.
Vargoth can be found in Archmage Vargoth's Retreat, a room in the Violet Citadel of Dalaran inaccessible except via the book , the quest reward from the achievement . Vargoth will give you a non-combat pet.
Rage of FirelandsThis section concerns content exclusive to Cataclysm.
Rise of the Thunder KingThis section concerns content exclusive to Mists of Pandaria.
Vargoth's image appears on the Isle of Thunder.
Warlords of DraenorThis section concerns content exclusive to Warlords of Draenor.
Vargoth has been sending various artifacts from the main timeline into the alternate timeline of Draenor. Adventurers of the Horde and the Alliance collected them and brought to , Vargoth's most trusted friend and confidant, who summoned Vargoth's image to Draenor. The image then joined the adventurers as a follower in their Garrisons in order to assist in research of Draenor's past.
He notes that his image is still very "outdated" and that he has traded up those old robes for much better looking ones.
LegionThis section concerns content exclusive to Legion.
Seen in person for the first time since the events in Northrend, Vargoth has joined the Council of Six. Vargoth voted in favor to allow the Horde into the Kirin Tor and was then present when the spell to teleport Dalaran to the Broken Isles was cast.
Vargoth is later revealed to have ties with the Empyrean Society, an organization of mages looking into forbidden magics such as fel. states that because Vargoth has proven his loyalty to the Kirin Tor many times in the past, he will be given the benefit of the doubt. Nevertheless, Khadgar is obligated to share the concerns about Vargoth with the rest of the Council of Six. and Karlain, two other members of the council, also noted that they had seen Vargoth behaving oddly. As Vargoth has been absent for a while, the Conjuror of the Tirisgarde takes a look through his room in the Violet Citadel alongside Kalec and discovers his journal, within which they find notes about the Nightborne Soulstone, which can channel the power of the souls captured within it.
The Tirisgarde later discover that Vargoth has been possessed by . He is freed and Kathra'natir is imprisoned in the Nightborne Soulstone that he had been using to drain .
Vargoth has since been absent, not attending the Council meetings.
|Location||Level range||Health range|
|Hall of the Guardian||110||166,282,800|
|Hall of the Guardian||100||269,218|
QuestsThis section concerns content exclusive to Legion. This section concerns content exclusive to The Burning Crusade. The subject of this section did not make it out of the beta stages of The Burning Crusade.
- You have saved my reputation, not to mention my life! Without your persistence, I would still be hanging above the Nexus yet, <name>. I hope you will accept my everlasting gratitude.
Notes & trivia
- Vargoth is neutral for the Horde players but friendly with the Alliance in Legion.
- can be fished from the Dalaran Fountain.
- He found the Crystal Ball previously used by .
- He is one of the NPCs that have a chance to appear as a Master Photobomber when using whilst under the effects of .
- In his quest text, the Archmage will occasionally paraphrase lines from the song "Hotel California" by The Eagles.
- "Plenty of room at the cursed Violet Tower"
- "Any time of year, you can find me here"
- "Some scried to remember, some scried to forget"
- "And still their voices are calling from far away, waking me up in the middle of the night"
- Vargoth wears a full set of Tempest Regalia during his appearances in Legion. This is the first time he has been seen in different attire since his introduction in The Burning Crusade.
- Even after Vargoth is saved from Kathra'natir's control, he is still not present among the Council of Six in subsequent quests involving them such as .
- Vargoth is one of the few followers that doubles as a Class Order champion, although his appearance in Draenor was only his image. Others include (although her follower equivalent was her alternate counterpart), , , and .