|This article concerns content exclusive to Shadowlands and is subject to change at any time as development progresses.
This article should only contain officially released content, such as beta and press release content. See Wowpedia's policy on posting unreleased content.
|Level: 50 - 60|
Ardenweald is one of the realms of the Shadowlands, ruled by the Night Fae Covenant. It is an enchanted, mystical forest, and a dark mirror of the Emerald Dream. Whereas the Dream represents the spring and summer of the cycle of life, Ardenweald reflects autumn and winter. It is a place of rest and hibernation where spirits of nature are tended to by the night fae, who retrieve anima from mortal souls and infuse it into slumbering spirits, rejuvenating their lives with the remnants of the old to prepare them to be reborn into the world of the living. The demigod Cenarius spent time recovering here after his death during the Third War before returning to Azeroth during the events of the Cataclysm.
Some parts of Ardenweald aren't faring as well as others and reflect the power wielded by the Drust of Kul Tiras, who are deeply connected to Ardenweald and death. Ardenweald has suffered more keenly from soul-drought than any other realm in the Shadowlands. For the first time in endless ages, the night fae's Winter Queen must choose which of the land's formerly lush groves—and which souls—will be fed the last precious drops of anima and which will fade away forever.
A vibrant afterlife for those closely connected to the wild, Ardenweald is a domain of endless restoration tended by the mystic night fae. Within this eternal forest, massive dream trees draw in precious anima —soul essence— to feed the spirits of nature awaiting rebirth.
- Ardenweald is inspired by a piece of old, unused concept art that the art team found during the development of Shadowlands and which depicted a forest with specks of starlight on the ground. The developers initially wanted to include this theme as part of Bastion, thus splitting the zone between a light, heavenly side and a dark, celestial forest side, but they eventually decided that the latter idea was unique and interesting enough to deserve its own separate zone.
Ardenweald as shown at BlizzCon 2019
- Patch 9.0.1 (TBD): Added.
- ^ a b c Blizzard Entertainment 2019-11-01. BlizzCon 2019 - World of Warcraft: What's Next. Retrieved on 2019-11-02.
- ^ a b c Blizzard Entertainment 2019-11-01. World of Warcraft: What’s Next Panel Recap. Retrieved on 2019-11-02.
- ^ a b Blizzard Entertainment. Night Fae - Covenants - Shadowlands. Retrieved on 2019-11-02.
- ^ worldofwarcraft.com - Shadowlands
- ^ Blizzard Entertainment 2019-11-02. BlizzCon 2019 - World of Warcraft: Q&A (around 16:45). Retrieved on 2019-11-03. (MMO-Champion transcript/Wowhead transcript)