Army of the Light
|This article is a lore stub. You can help expand it by editing it.
The Xenedar (crashed)
|Theater of operations|
The Grand Army of the Light, also called the Golden Army, the Army of Light, and the Lightforged, is a faction of enlightened races that the naaru said would one day combat the ravages of the Burning Legion. After the fall of Argus, the draenei's finest warriors followed the prime naaru Xe'ra across the cosmos in an eternal war to bring about the Legion's end. Since then, other survivors of the Burning Crusade have joined the ranks of the Lightforged.
After finally achieving victory on Argus, High Exarch Turalyon believed that it was time to take up arms alongside their brothers and sisters of the Alliance and pledged their forces to High King Anduin Wrynn.
When the naaru came to the Prophet Velen and rescued the draenei from the fury of Kil'jaeden, they promised that the Exiled Ones would one day be part of a grand force. The Army of the Light arose from the survivors of worlds destroyed by the Burning Legion and had been battling the demonic army for thousands of years. The Lightforged were another group of draenei who boarded the Genedar when they left Argus. The Genedar then split into two different ships, the Genedar and Xenedar, and went their separate ways. After the crash of the Genedar, the draenei on Draenor tried to contact the Army.
The draenei have awaited the day when the Army would emerge for more than twenty millennia. One of the Prophet Velen's many visions was of the Army of the Light: a grand coalition of humans, dwarves, gnomes, elves, worgen, orcs, tauren, trolls, goblins — and even the undead. The draenei themselves are foretold as the backbone of this mighty army, with many naaru joining the fray against the darkness, along with an innumerable amount of dragons and naaru. The leader of this great coalition, clad in Light-imbued armor with a matching blade, is a human of unclear identity. The vision met its end after a great and terrible shadow cast its darkness over the defenders of the Light, though the army only charged to meet it in battle.
Right before the Invasion of Outland began, Khadgar and Velen reached out to the naaru independently, both seeking aid against the dark forces amassing on Outland. The Army of the Light heard their pleas but the Army's battles with the Legion were costly and ceaseless, so they could not spare soldiers to protect Outland. Instead A'dal, M'uru, and O'ros volunteered to help the people of Outland and arrived with Tempest Keep.
In World of Warcraft: Illidan, an "elder naaru" shows a possible future in which Illidan Stormrage is one of the leaders of the Army of the Light, fighting the Burning Legion and the Void with other champions. His Warglaives of Azzinoth glow with the Light. His features are described as "calm and strong and at peace. His face was filled with confidence, shorn of all suffering."
At some point the dreadlord Lothraxion was infused with the Light and joined the Army of the Light to fight against the Legion as its High Commander. During the Burning Legion's third invasion of Azeroth, Lothraxion was sent by High Exarch Turalyon to protect it.
The Army of the Light has been at war with the Legion on the ruined draenei homeworld of Argus for centuries, engaging in tactical guerilla strikes using their warship, the Xenedar. While outnumbered, they continue to fight with cunning, striking at points of opportunity quickly and moving on. According to the Prime Naaru Xe'ra they are losing however, and as such have sent Light's Heart, the core of Xe'ra, as a last resort to Azeroth for it to be handed to Prophet Velen. Xe'ra is seeking the "child of Light and Shadow", Illidan Stormrage, to bring the battle to an end.
For millennia, the Army of the Light waged battles, skirmishes, and sabotage against the Burning Legion. They all knew they might not survive their final assault on Argus. The Army of the Light's flagship, the Xenedar, crashed on Argus's surface and the resident Krokul saved Turalyon's life. More members of the Army of the Light are encountered at the crash site of the Xenedar and they proceed to aid Azeroth's forces on Argus.
After the Legion's defeat, the Army of the Light traveled to Azeroth. Foreseeing the upcoming war between the Alliance and the Horde, the Lightforged decided to stand alongside their brothers and sisters of the Alliance. The Lightforged draenei and Turalyon thus pledged to defend the Alliance and seek to spread the Light's justice across the land.
|Alleria Windrunner||Former Ranger-Captain of Silvermoon||High elf||Alive||The Vindicaar|
|Archmage Y'mera||Ranking member of the Army of the Light||Lightforged draenei||Alive||Krokuun, Argus|
|Baraat the Longshot||Ranking member of the Army of the Light||Lightforged draenei||Alive||Krokuun, Argus|
|Blademaster Telaamon||Ranking member of the Army of the Light||Lightforged draenei||Alive||Krokuun, Argus|
|Captain Fareeya||<The Crescent Glaive>, leader of the survivors of the Xenedar's crash||Lightforged draenei||Alive||Krokuun, Argus|
|Grand Lector Enaara||Ranking member of the Army of the Light||Lightforged draenei||Alive||Krokuun, Argus|
|Grand Vindicator Sorvos||Ranking member of the Army of the Light||Lightforged draenei||Alive||Krokuun, Argus|
|High Exarch Turalyon||High Exarch of the Army of the Light||Human||Alive||The Vindicaar|
|Lothraxion||High commander of the Army of the Light||Nathrezim||Alive||The Vindicaar|
|Xe'ra||The Light Mother, prime naaru||Naaru||Deceased||The Vindicaar|
|A'dal||Protector of Shattrath and leader of the Sha'tar||Naaru||Alive||Shattrath City|
|M'uru||Guardian of Tempest Keep; hostage of the Blood Knights||Naaru||Deceased|
|O'ros||Last naaru in the line of Xe'ra||Naaru||Deceased|
- Adjutant Vortus <War Supplies>
- Enstraa <Master Leatherworker>
- Khaela <Master Tailor>
- Khamir <Master Blacksmith>
- Lightsmith Sel'ann <Repairs>
- Raelaara the Kind <Stable Master>
- Vindicator Jaelaana <Army of the Light Emissary>
- Vorel <Master Jewelcrafter>
- Ground troops
- Imperial Juggernaut
- Lightforged Battery
- Lightforged Warframe
- Assistant Wrangler
- Fallen Soldier
- Guardian of the Light
- Lightforged Artificer
- Lightforged Battlemage
- Lightforged Bulwark
- Lightforged Dragoon
- Lightforged Sharpshooter
- Lightforged Warpriest
- The Xenedar (flagship)
- Aurobos, Lothraxion's ship used to reach Netherlight Temple in order to stop Balnazzar's assault
- Tempest Keep and satellites (formerly)
After the fall of Argus, the draenei's finest warriors followed the prime naaru Xe'ra across the cosmos in an eternal war to bring about the Legion's end. Since then, other survivors of the Burning Crusade have joined the ranks of the Lightforged.
|Friendly||Design: Mass Prospect Empyrium||9||Recipe|
|Recipe: Empyrial Breastplate (rank 2)||2,000||Recipe|
|Design: Empyrial Cosmic Crown (rank 2)||2,000||Recipe|
|Design: Empyrial Deep Crown (rank 2)||2,000||Recipe|
|Design: Empyrial Elemental Crown (rank 2)||2,000||Recipe|
|Design: Empyrial Titan Crown (rank 2)||2,000||Recipe|
|Recipe: Fiendish Shoulderguards (rank 2)||2,000||Recipe|
|Recipe: Fiendish Spaulders (rank 2)||2,000||Recipe|
|Recipe: Lightweave Breeches (rank 2)||2,000||Recipe|
|Exalted||Army of the Light Tabard||300||Tabard|
Notes & trivia
- Draenei members of the Army of the Light have golden eyes. Turalyon had golden eyes when in presence of Xe'ra.
- Few draenei among the army wield "true magic" anymore after seeing what tempted their brethren.
- The Army of the Light's elekk mounts were introduced to them by Alleria and Turalyon, who had spent time on the elekk homeworld, Draenor. The Army also tried to save some of Argus' native species.
- Members of the Army of the Light are empowered and immortal.
- Archmage Y'mera says "Give me a hundred Lightforged. Barring that, a thousand regular troops", which is a reference to the Warhammer 40,000 Space Marines. The Lightforged also make use of drop pod-style bunkers.
- Legends say that the Army of the Light use pylons to transport their troops to distant worlds.
- The Army of the Light was told about Tempest Keep by Xe'ra, but none have ever seen it themselves.
- Xe'ra never told the army that naaru can fall to the Void, as she did not want them to know about that.
- The army's technology is powered by argunite, which was also used by the ancient eredar of Argus.
- The army has its own Council of Exarchs.
- The Grand Army's lightforged armor is honed to protect their vindicators from the Legion's fel magic.
- In a distant future, High King Anduin Wrynn and Prophet Velen are seen preparing for a final battle, presumably as a part of the Army.
- It is highly plausible that the "elder naaru" Illidan met is the Prime Naaru Xe'ra.
- In the novel Beyond the Dark Portal a naaru appeared to Turalyon and encouraged him to proceed with his decision to stop the Horde from finding new worlds to conquer. It is possible that the naaru was Xe'ra and that she knew that one day Turalyon would join the Golden Army, perhaps even inciting him to do so.
- Patch 7.3.0 (2017-08-29): Added.
- ^ a b #Faction description
- ^ Assistant Wrangler
- ^ a b
- ^ a b c Cite error: Invalid
<ref>tag; name "FTL.21" defined multiple times with different content Cite error: Invalid
<ref>tag; name "FTL.21" defined multiple times with different content
- ^ The Burning Crusade Townhall - Draenei
- ^ a b
- ^ A Thousand Years of War
- ^ Lost Codex BlizzCon 2017 Interview
- ^ World of Warcraft: Chronicle Volume 2, pg. 53
- ^ Prophet's Lesson
- ^ World of Warcraft: Chronicle Volume 3, pg. 140
- ^ A Light in the Darkness
- ^ MMO-Champion
- ^ Archmage Y'mera#Quotes
- ^ Bleakhoof Ruinstrider#Mount Journal
- ^ a b A Thousand Years of War
- ^ Anduin: Son of the Wolf
- ^ Rosenberg, Aaron; Christie Golden. Beyond the Dark Portal, 190. ISBN 978-1-4165-5086-0.