Artifact Knowledge increases the rate at which a player gains Artifact Power which is used to level up an artifact and learn traits. As the level of the weapon increases, so too is the required amount of artifact power needed to gain a new level. Higher levels of artifact knowledge make this process flow more naturally, as without it, a player would be stuck for longer stretches of time on a single weapon level.
|Rank||Artifact Power gains||Rank||Artifact Power gains||Rank||Artifact Power gains||Rank||Artifact Power gains||Rank||Artifact Power gains|
Learning new levels
Since patch 7.3.0, all characters started at rank 41, while increasing automatically every week by one up to 55. Upon reaching level 110, the character will reach whatever rank it is at for every character.
As soon as a player reaches level 110 the quest Hitting the Books immediately becomes available in their Class Hall. To place an order, a player needs to interact with a specific NPC in the class hall in-charge of researching the artifact weapons. Placing a work order costs 500 and there can be up to two work orders at a time. When a work order completes, it appears on the ground as an interactive object near the research NPC. When looted, it is placed into the bag inventory as . Clicking on it consumes the item and increases the artifact power level.
NPC researchers and quests
- Illanna Dreadmoore <Ebon Blade Archivist> in Acherus: The Ebon Hold
- Vahu the Weathered <Illidari Researcher> at the Fel Hammer on Mardum
- Celadine the Fatekeeper <Dreamgrove Researcher> at the Dreamgrove in Val'sharah
- Holt Thunderhorn <Lore and Legends> at Trueshot Lodge in Highmountain
- Edirah <Tirisgarde Researcher> at the Hall of the Guardian in Dalaran
- Lorewalker Cho <Head Archivist> at the Temple of Five Dawns on the Wandering Isle
- Sister Elda <Keeper of the Ancient Tomes> at the Sanctum of Light in Eastern Plaguelands
- Juvess the Duskwhisperer <Keeper of Scrolls> in Netherlight Temple
- Filius Sparkstache <Archivist> at the Hall of Shadows in Dalaran
- Gorma Windspeaker <Keeper of Legends> at the Heart of Azeroth in the Maelstrom
- Mile Raitheborne <Head Archivist> in the Dreadscar Rift
- Fjornson Stonecarver <Keeper of Legends> in the Skyhold
Artifact Knowledge Catch-Up
As of Patch 7.3.0, research work orders are no longer necessary. AK ranks are now automatically increased on a weekly basis, starting at AK 41.
There are two ways for players to acquire Artifact Knowledge at an accelerated rate beginning with Patch 7.1.5.
Players can reach Artifact Knowledge 15 via the quest Knowledge is Power. This method is recommended if you do not have a main character with high Artifact Knowledge.
- : Instant boost to Artifact Knowledge 5. Requires AK 10 to purchase.
- : Instant boost to Artifact Knowledge 10. Requires AK 15 to purchase.
- : Instant boost to Artifact Knowledge 15. Requires AK 20 to purchase.
- : Instant boost to Artifact Knowledge 20. Requires AK 25 to purchase.
- : Instant boost to Artifact Knowledge 25. Requires AK 30 to purchase.
- : Instant boost to Artifact Knowledge 30. Requires AK 35 to purchase.
- : Instant boost to Artifact Knowledge 40. Requires AK 40 to purchase.
- : Instant boost to Artifact Knowledge 40. Requires AK 45 to purchase.
- : Instant boost to Artifact Knowledge 45. Requires AK 50 to purchase.
Content with Artifact Knowledge Requirements
Artifact Knowledge 2
Artifact Knowledge 4
- : Frost Death Knight Artifact Appearance
- : Feral Druid Artifact Appearance
- : Discipline Priest Artifact Appearance
- : Assassination Rogue Artifact Appearance
- : Elemental Shaman Artifact Appearance
- : Enhancement Shaman Artifact Appearance
Artifact Knowledge 5
- : Havoc Demon Hunter Artifact Appearance
- : Balance Druid Artifact Appearance
- : Fire Mage Artifact Appearance
- : Holy Paladin Artifact Appearance
- : Outlaw Rogue Artifact Appearance
- : Affliction Warlock Artifact Appearance
- : Demonology Warlock Artifact Appearance
- : Protection Warrior Artifact Appearance
Artifact Knowledge 6
- : Unholy Death Knight Artifact Appearance
- : Arcane Mage Artifact Appearance
- : Retribution Paladin Artifact Appearance
Artifact Knowledge 25
As you increase your artifact knowledge level more chapters of the weapon's history will be revealed. Chapters will be added at the following artifact knowledge levels: 3, 5, 7, 10, 12, 15, 18, 20, 23, 25.
Patches and hotfixes
- Patch 8.2.0 (2019-06-25): Azerite Artifact Knowledge cap raised to 70, up from 50.
- Patch 8.0.1 (2018-07-17): Legion Artifact Knowledge removed.
- Patch 7.3.0 (2017-08-29): The Orders are now working together to improve Artifact Knowledge, and Artifact Knowledge now increases every week for everyone at the same rate, without the need to submit work orders.
- Hotfix (2017-05-22): "Artifact Knowledge can now be researched to a maximum level of 40 (was 50)."
- Hotfix (2017-03-29): "Active Artifact Knowledge work orders will instantly complete when a player zones into the order hall if that player has 25 or less total Artifact Knowledge."
- Patch 7.2.0 (2017-03-28): Artifact Knowledge ranks increased from 25 to 50.
- Patch 7.1.5 (2017-01-10): Catch-up Mechanic Added.
- Patch 7.0.3 (2016-07-19): Added.